Bought the wife a new one!

Options
2»

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Can someone show me proof that a .45 will "take someone off of their feet"? I've heard this a million times, but I've never seen actual proof.

And what makes hand loaded hollow points different from, say, store bought hollow points?

Physics =(

Oh yeah...physics. Isn't that where for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction...like if the force of the bullet hitting the target was enough to knock him off his feet, then the force required to achieve that would be enough to knock the shooter off their feet? Or am I missing something.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...physics. Isn't that where for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction...like if the force of the bullet hitting the target was enough to knock him off his feet, then the force required to achieve that would be enough to knock the shooter off their feet? Or am I missing something.

NO!

eraser.jpg
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

NO!

eraser.jpg

Sorry, by bad.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend keeps telling me that he wants to get me one of these. I am a girly girl for sure but no way I would carry a pink gun. :laugh: I am currently in the market for something with pretty pearl grips, will probably have to be customize because even most of those I have seen are pink .
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    i have seen studies that most deaths by guns are those that can penetrate and pierce organs. if the rounds slows and spreads before it hits anything major then all your doing is wounding them. not stopping them.

Stopping someone and killing them is not always the same. A good .45 hollow point that spreads and takes someone off of their feet will certainly stop them and possibly not kill them where you can shoot a meth head full of holes with 9mm FMJ and not stop them immediately but they later bleed out and die. Shot placement is more important than caliber. I'd rather be shot in the toe with a .50 BMG than in the heart with a .22

Well said!! I carry my .45 with some NASTY Hollow point hand loads that are designed to open WIDE and send all of their energy into the target and bounce around in the chest like a saw blade. But what ever gun YOU are comfortable with is the best one!

Can someone show me proof that a .45 will "take someone off of their feet"? I've heard this a million times, but I've never seen actual proof.

And what makes hand loaded hollow points different from, say, store bought hollow points?

Sure. Come to my house and we will try it out. lol. You can handload as "hot" as you want where store bought are whatever the manufacturer loads up. The .45 I was referring to are .45LC and they are designed for killing grizzly bears by Buffalo Bore.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    45's dont take people off their feet. That is hollywood - like most pistol rounds solid hits will drop them or maybe make them stumble and fall backwards which is a product of shock and reflexes not energy transfer throwing them back. There are more then enough videos out there of people being shot in combat with all kinds of rounds and they basically crumple - there is no fly back 30 feet and bounce of a wall action.

Defense ammo these days are light years ahead of what it used to be. You can thank the 1986 Miiami Shoot Out with the FBI versus Platt and Matix for that. The 9mm silver tips failed and the 38+P was highly ineffective (though it appears one probably knocked matix unconcious taking him out of the fight within seconds of the gunfight- he was a noncombatant after that with Platt doing all the damage primarily with a Ruger Mini-14). I would highly suggest purchasing this book to help understand the dynamics of that fight, effectivity of rounds used but especially the WILL to fight displayed by both the FBI and Platt:

http://www.amazon.com/Forensic-Analysis-April-1986-Firefight/dp/1581604904

The above does have crime scene and autopsy photos of the perps and is considered pretty much THE defintive study on the reconstruction of that gunfight.

Other then that- this is why you practice putting multiple rounds into an opponent. Put your sight on their COM and keep shooting until they fall out of the sight picture. The human body is VERY good at shrugging off a single hit- not so good at multiple hits on top of each these overload and seriously disrupt the bodies ability to recover and reset for the fight. And psitol rounds suck at killing a person - there is about an 85% survival rate with pistol rounds. This drops significantly when shot by a rifle- and rifles have a higher percentage of "one shot stops".

Of course as good guys though we must be aware of our surroundings as every round we fire leaves the barrel with a lawyer attached....
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Sure. Come to my house and we will try it out. lol. You can handload as "hot" as you want where store bought are whatever the manufacturer loads up. The .45 I was referring to are .45LC and they are designed for killing grizzly bears by Buffalo Bore.

What does killing a grizzly have to do with knocking someone off their feet? Buffalo Bore didn't engineer rounds that violated physics as far as I know.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

What does killing a grizzly have to do with knocking someone off their feet? Buffalo Bore didn't engineer rounds that violated physics as far as I know.

Lol, I think you all are misunderstanding what I meant there. I am not saying that they will physically pick the person up and put them 10 feet into the wall behind them like in Arnold movies. I simply meant if you get hit with a .45LC +P hollow point loaded for the velocity and power that these things are loaded you will not be staying on your feet for long.
  • swordsmith
    Options

Lol, I think you all are misunderstanding what I meant there. I am not saying that they will physically pick the person up and put them 10 feet into the wall behind them like in Arnold movies. I simply meant if you get hit with a .45LC +P hollow point loaded for the velocity and power that these things are loaded you will not be staying on your feet for long.

Ahhh... I concur.
  • sirthickness
    Options
    45's dont take people off their feet. That is hollywood - like most pistol rounds solid hits will drop them or maybe make them stumble and fall backwards which is a product of shock and reflexes not energy transfer throwing them back. There are more then enough videos out there of people being shot in combat with all kinds of rounds and they basically crumple - there is no fly back 30 feet and bounce of a wall action.

Defense ammo these days are light years ahead of what it used to be. You can thank the 1986 Miiami Shoot Out with the FBI versus Platt and Matix for that. The 9mm silver tips failed and the 38+P was highly ineffective (though it appears one probably knocked matix unconcious taking him out of the fight within seconds of the gunfight- he was a noncombatant after that with Platt doing all the damage primarily with a Ruger Mini-14). I would highly suggest purchasing this book to help understand the dynamics of that fight, effectivity of rounds used but especially the WILL to fight displayed by both the FBI and Platt:

The above does have crime scene and autopsy photos of the perps and is considered pretty much THE defintive study on the reconstruction of that gunfight.

Other then that- this is why you practice putting multiple rounds into an opponent. Put your sight on their COM and keep shooting until they fall out of the sight picture. The human body is VERY good at shrugging off a single hit- not so good at multiple hits on top of each these overload and seriously disrupt the bodies ability to recover and reset for the fight. And psitol rounds suck at killing a person - there is about an 85% survival rate with pistol rounds. This drops significantly when shot by a rifle- and rifles have a higher percentage of "one shot stops".

Of course as good guys though we must be aware of our surroundings as every round we fire leaves the barrel with a lawyer attached....
    Goddamnit, you just burst my bubble. I thought the bad guys ALWAYS flew through air, over the fence and through the wall. I know that's what they taught us in the academy! Hey, wait a second, I'm not so sure I should believe anything you're saying...you're wearing pink bunny ears! lol

Seriously though, that is why I often practice "failure drills" - two to the body and one to the head, or at the very least, multiple shots.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    swordsmith well said... for everyone else a good punch in in the nose or a good kick will throw u back in the air.. i know that works.. cuz my martial arts instructor accidently popped me in the nose and i did a back flip and a spin in the air and landed on my knees facing the opposite wall...that was fun
  • swordsmith
    Options

Goddamnit, you just burst my bubble. I thought the bad guys ALWAYS flew through air, over the fence and through the wall. I know that's what they taught us in the academy! Hey, wait a second, I'm not so sure I should believe anything you're saying...you're wearing pink bunny ears! lol

Seriously though, that is why I often practice "failure drills" - two to the body and one to the head, or at the very least, multiple shots.

I practice 4 drills:

Standard Defensive Response - 2 to the chest
    Immediate stop - 1 to the head
    Failure to stop - 2 to chest, 1 to head
    Body Armor Stop - 4 across the pelvis (I prefer 2 shots where the femur meets the hip on each side - A friend prefers evenly spaced across the abdomen/groin area)

And bad guys only fly through the air when hit by a "Glock Fo-Tay" or a full size Desert Eagle .50.... everyone knows that! :noway:

And whats wrong with pink bunny ears? :drinker:
  • swordsmith
    Options
    swordsmith well said... for everyone else a good punch in in the nose or a good kick will throw u back in the air.. i know that works.. cuz my martial arts instructor accidently popped me in the nose and i did a back flip and a spin in the air and landed on my knees facing the opposite wall...that was fun

Oh yeah... I take krav maga also and have been primarily kicked back. I have been pretty much beat, bruised and broken.

Oddly enough in krav unless we are creating space to get away or fight multiple attackers we actually try NOT to punch or kick people away. We want to close with, get inside and destroy - we throw a flurry of combatives as we burst in transitioning from kicks, to punches to elbows/knees/hammers etc. And head control- head control is important- VERY important. If I can get to your head you are probably ****ed.

Even when we get inside we lock up specifically to keep the opponent from getting away until I decide to let go. I dont want you kicked or punched away from me- I want to give you no time what so ever to recover and formulate a new plan of attack. I want to deliver maximum pain and damage in a continuous stream from all directions to get inside your OODA Loop and keep you from thinking until I decide you are no longer a threat.
  • rininger85
    Options
    I have a S&W .38special +p model 642 "airweight" that is a really nice little revolver. Thats my concealed gun because it weighs much less than my 40 or my 22 pistols. Added crimson trace laser grip to it, shoots nice but its LOUD with its little snub barrell... but I can put it in my pants pocket and not have a big bulge that people can identify as being a gun was the idea...and it has an internal hammer so it doesn't get caught up in my pocket if I wanted to pull it out quickly.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Oh yeah... I take krav maga also and have been primarily kicked back. I have been pretty much beat, bruised and broken.

Oddly enough in krav unless we are creating space to get away or fight multiple attackers we actually try NOT to punch or kick people away. We want to close with, get inside and destroy - we throw a flurry of combatives as we burst in transitioning from kicks, to punches to elbows/knees/hammers etc. And head control- head control is important- VERY important. If I can get to your head you are probably ****ed.

Even when we get inside we lock up specifically to keep the opponent from getting away until I decide to let go. I dont want you kicked or punched away from me- I want to give you no time what so ever to recover and formulate a new plan of attack. I want to deliver maximum pain and damage in a continuous stream from all directions to get inside your OODA Loop and keep you from thinking until I decide you are no longer a threat.

A punch to the nose will not "throw you in the air" unless the person doing it can do an off center single arm DB push press of MUCH higher than your body weight.

I fight too, and if you're flying back from a nose strike it's because you jumped, not because the other person hit you.

Go to the gym, grab a dumbbell that weighs what you do (or the highest weight there) and try to uppercut it across the room. That's even easier because you generate a little momentum with it starting at your hip. If you do post it on youtube cause that'd get a lot of fanfare.

Same deal with a kick, you can make someone stumble back, or if they're jumping you can reverse their momentum and make them fall back a little, but noone is going flying unless they end up jumping.

Also I thought KM focused more on 1 v many combat? In that scenario keeping someone locked in is a bad thing, no? Most styles worth their salt can teach you how to lock down a single opponent.
  • swordsmith
    Options
    Also I thought KM focused more on 1 v many combat? In that scenario keeping someone locked in is a bad thing, no? Most styles worth their salt can teach you how to lock down a single opponent.

No- surprisingly we still try to lock up at least one person - it allows the continuous combatives and takes one person at least partially out of the fight. We do a lot of multiple opponent drills with transitions to the other attacker. If you have a person locked up you can spin them while striking and use them as a shield for a brief time if its a 2 on 1. For more they can be used as a shield and/or pushed at another attacker while you transition to someone else who needs to be hurt - its tough to describe without seeing or doing it.

When it becomes more then 2 on 1 what pops into play is tactical sense much more- who to go for first and knowing how to move to keep people between you and others and how to get away. I typically prefer to go to my left and around the dead side of my opponent. But quite frankly if its multiple opponents you are probably going down - the multiple drills liek everything else is training so you dont freeze or go "**** - 4 guys? I may as well give up"

The chief instructor makes a point to new people who question multiple attackers - he asks "do you go to a bar alone?" everyone has answered "no - I usually go with friends/frat brothers/family etc". The instructor then says so if your friend got into a fight and laid out how many people would come out of the crowd besides you to help them? You can see the *click* go on behind the eyes... its like the saying "AFter the fight is when the fight starts"
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Fair enough, we do positioning drills at my school a lot for 1v2 though it's tend to be drilled more as a striking at distance practice to keep awareness up. We practice the flashy stuff that makes people bleed a lot and unsettles untrained folks for 1v3+. So sounds about the same otherwise, interesting.