Bulk then cut...help a fat guy out!

Options
daveymac1
daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
Hey all! I am 5'10, 260 lbs. I am with a personal trainer/nutrition coach for the bodybuilders in my area. He is getting me to bulk now for the next 3 months, then cut. I assume with cardio, and lighter weights and less reps. I started about a month ago, at 253 lbs, and have went up. I am constantly hungry ALL THE TIME!!!! I just want to know is this right? Should I feel this way, and being a fat guy, should I lose first, then bulk? I don't want to get huge and ripped. It would be nice, but I do want to be bigger in size with some good definition.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I can only give you my personal opinion on this and I mean nothing offensive by any of this:

If any trainer had me bulking at 5'10 and 260 I would fire him on the spot with no questions asked. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Caveat: If you're somehow 5'10 and 260 and already shredded (read: copious amounts of steroids) then that's a different discussion. However if you were in that position you wouldn't be posting here, most likely.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    If this were in the main forums, my reply would be something like "I disagree with your trainer sir, and I would suggest you find a new one or go without one and start cutting now".

But since this is our private group I'm working on being a bit more forward =)

I would be happy to give you my recommendations for where to begin, but this is likely to go against your trainer.

What does he have you do for lifting?

Lastly, and this is important: Are you 100% certain he's intentionally having you bulk? Sounds like a dumb question on my part but the advice is so horrible that I have to question whether or not there was a misunderstanding somewhere.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    yeah agree with sidesteel, especially considering what your goals are on your profile........did you find this gentleman in a commercial gym? I am familiar with the standard of the average PT in the uk......

EDIT, I see you posted in the main forums also
    I don't want to be 260, When its all said and done, I'd be happy at 215ish range.

pretty much answers you own question. will you gain some muscle in this bulking phase? Yes of course but it will all be covered by your existing body fat anyway, and most likely some those gains you will lose in the time it takes to cut from 260 to 215.

Get to a level of bodyfat you are happy with, then bulk slowly from there if you want to.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I am guessing that as an ex-pro athlete you already have plenty of muscle mass and bulking would be useless if you aren't going for body-builder-ripped at 215. How much does he have you eating to "bulk"? It looks like your default calories are set to 2300 on here, which I sincerely doubt is bulking for a guy your size (that's just over my maintenance level as a 5'5"/130# female).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just to add my 2c...which is not exactly helpful as it is just agreeing with what everyone had already said. I cannot see why bulking would be a good idea at all at this stage.
  • daveymac1
    Options
    This guy is the owner of Popeyes supplements here in London. He is a professor at the college on nutrition and weight lifting. So I ASSumed he knew what hes talking about.
    For working out, its basically from Arnolds encyclopedia of bodybuilding. I didn't change my goals on here. I eat around 2900-3100 cals/day. Thanks all for your input! Greatly appreciated
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This guy is the owner of Popeyes supplements here in London. He is a professor at the college on nutrition and weight lifting. So I ASSumed he knew what hes talking about.
    For working out, its basically from Arnolds encyclopedia of bodybuilding. I didn't change my goals on here. I eat around 2900-3100 cals/day. Thanks all for your input! Greatly appreciated

There are a lot of people that have great a great understanding of nutrition and general fitness however there are some of those people that fail to see their clients needs. In your profile you say that you want to 215lbs and have the cardio stamina to skate. I would try to take a step back and think if this trainer is trying to help you achieve your goals and not just helping you do what he is familiar with.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you a beginner?

If a beginner, I'd keep lifting but adjust your nutrition for maintance or a slight deficit.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Listen to the guy who's arm is no doubt the size of your head, Sidesteel has got this all day long
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Can you please list your workout program?

Also, in gaining from 254 to 260 was that on 2900-3000 calories?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Posting so I can reference this conversation for future use :)

My hubs is 5'10", 265lbs and he is very muscular but has a decent amount of body fat to cut. He just started cutting today, actually. I cannot imagine why he would bulk right now, as it's obvious that he needs to lose body fat. There would be very little point to trying to gain muscle until most of that is gone.

Edit to say - definitely listen to SS. He knows what's up.
  • daveymac1
    Options
    Listen to the guy who's arm is no doubt the size of your head, Sidesteel has got this all day long

I don't know about that, I have a huge pumpkin!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Can you please list your workout program?

Also, in gaining from 254 to 260 was that on 2900-3000 calories?

OP - not sure if you saw this from SideSteel so bumping for you.