Can you show me some studies to disprove the "toning" myth?

Options
osualex
osualex Posts: 409 Member
Not for me! There's a trainer at my gym who insists I'm working out "wrong". I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5. I admit, I do need some work on form so I agreed to let him help me with that tomorrow, but I really want him to get off my back that I'm gonna bulk up. It's starting to drive me crazy to the point that I don't want to work out. He keeps saying to "tone" I need to do higher reps, lower weight. Just...no. This is one of only a few broscience myths he's told me. If I could switch gyms, I would, but this is the only one in my town. Help please actual science fitness nerds?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Could you ask him what he actually means by "toning" as it is not a defined term.

If he is talking about bulking, ask him how he thinks a woman, who has about 1/16th of the testosterone of a guy can bulk, especially on a deficit.

You could also refer him to these:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html (these are for when you are on a surplus)

Also, what does he mean by 'higher reps'? How many?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You really don't need any studies. Just look at all the guys who have much greater testosterone and ability to gain lean body mass than women and notice they get smaller while on a deficit even when lifting heavy to exhaustion. If we can't, then women sure as hell can't.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Just give him the link to Sara's success stories post along with her lifting records.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I just got back from the gym, and we pretty much agreed to disagree about my workouts. He was right about 2 things though (like a broken clock, haha) - I need to incorporate some accessory lifts and I need some work on my form. Both of which I knew. Guess sometimes you just gotta filter out the noise...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I would reply "that's great, I want to bulk up" and no-one can really argue with that.