Iodine Plus 2

Options
candypa
candypa Posts: 73 Member
According to the advertisement, "You see, there are two types of iodine necessary for optimal nutrition and thyroid function: Iodine and iodide. The iodine supplements you’ll normally find are made from kelp – a seaweed – lacking in iodide.
Plus, the iodine supplements on the retail shelves are about 100 times too weak to be effective in stimulating your thyroid, reversing hypothyroidism and stabilizing your weight." http://www.thyroid-weight-loss.com/?gclid=CK2C9JK25LUCFUVN4Aod7XQACA
Has anyone tried this product? What is your opinion?

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Most people in N. America aren't iodine deficient - it's very unusual to find someone hypothyroid due to iodine issues. Better to look at selenium, zinc, copper, and iron which are all involved in converting T4 into T3. Also look at Vit D, which is required for your body to be able to use the T3 hormone.
  • kats3boys
    kats3boys Posts: 61
    Options
    What she said ^^^^ I would not take an iodine supplement with out blood ( urine in this case) to confirm as both low and high iodine can cause thyroid issues and you run a higher risk of already being high in iodine.
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Most people in N. America aren't iodine deficient - it's very unusual to find someone hypothyroid due to iodine issues. Better to look at selenium, zinc, copper, and iron which are all involved in converting T4 into T3. Also look at Vit D, which is required for your body to be able to use the T3 hormone.
    Yes, I have had a problem with not enough nutrients, so I started taking some supplements. I was short on all those you mentioned. I also stopped using table salt due to kidney/kidney stone problems. I started using kelp like one tablet every 3 or 4 days for iodine. Also, I added pink salt (not himalayan), I thought it was healthier and I needed the iodine since I am not eating salt with iodine in it. Am I doing okay?
  • Keelahopkin
    Keelahopkin Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Great suggestions but don't forget Vit E which is required for selenium uptake
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    dietary guidelines give the daily need as 150 microns. Most dark green veg provide 3 or 4 microns per 100 grams, similarly a medium egg provides 24 microns, milk provides apx 15 micron per 100 ml, fish contain more 100g of cod is, if my memory serves me, 70, oily fish tends to provide both iodine and selenium which is a better combination. My dietary regime always fell short. Over my lifetime, milk and eggs have been declared bad at one time or another but both are a complete foods for obvious reasons.

Some naturopaths, homeopaths and similar will treat at iodine levels in the 1000's
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I did the math as well and found I was probably not getting enough. I started supplementing last month and found my energy seems to be up a bit. My doc has never tested me but said to go ahead and try.