Started today! D1

Options
abelljam
abelljam Posts: 5 Member
So I started today and it was very hard for me. I want to do it and am determined to try. Any advice, help, tips are appreciated. I wasn't able to do all the runs today, but I figure day 2 I'll push myself even more.

Replies

• fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Go slow. Do what you can. You can always repeat a week if you need to. Progress will come.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I started today too!!

This is my second time trying the program. Last time I got to week 4, attempted to run/walk a 5k (knowing very well that I would walk most of it) and discovered pavement running hurt my back like crazy (I'd done all my training on a treadmill) I gave up thinking I'd never be able to run a real 5k race (since they are never on treadmills LOL) but decided that I care more about my fitness than the races so I'm trying again.

That being said, the first time I did this, I thought I was DYING the first two days and hated how horribly out of shape I was and how I couldn't even run for 60 seconds straight. By the third day, I was already noticing improvements. Keep with it, it WILL get better! It's very motivating how quickly your body adapts, but you got to push through the bad days to get there.
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday :) I will add all you newbies so we can keep each other motivated.

x
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I just finished week 2 today and can´t wait for week 3. It is getting better, do what you can but don´t give up. I think this program gives you a quick improvement in the beginning. Just stick with it and go out every running day and do your best!
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    When I first started C25K, my other half gave me a look that I knew well "you'll not stick with it, you never do". Well that was 8 weeks ago. I wasn't doing it for him, I was doing it for me.

Day 1 was a shock to my system. I hadn't ran since I was at school. I ran that first 60 seconds and was so out of breath, huffing and puffing and hurting. I had 3 mins to catch my breath before next 60 second run. By the time the 3 mins was up, I was still huffing and puffing and hurting and I said to myself, no way can I do this. I pushed on and ran despite hurting, nice steady slow, virtually walking actually. Now I'm at the middle of week 8 and I can run 28 mins. I still can't quite believe it. I am, according to my Podcast trainer, officially a runner.

My advice is to definitely get your breathing sorted. Aim to breath steady in through your nose and out of your mouth. Try not to be too erratic with the breathing it wastes so much energy. You have to get as much oxygen as you can into your body for it to cope. Once I got my breathing going in a nice steady rhythm, I found I could run much easier. Drink some water before your run as this will help avoid that pain you get in the side. I've also read other posts where it's suggested to have something protein before a run, such as a boiled egg. I always drink a glass of milk on my return home as the protein in milk helps repair muscles (so I read) and helps avoid any soreness.

Stick with it, you will get better. Repeat a week if you have to. It doesn't matter if it takes you 12 weeks or more, don't give up. Good luck.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!!! The first day IS the hardest. Hell, deciding to lace up your shoes and head out when you are out of shape is pretty hard too.

My advice in the beginning is to run more slowly than your walking intervals. Right now you're just developing those running muscles - you'll pick up speed later without really having to push yourself if you let the program guide you.
  • MrsCarolGreene
    MrsCarolGreene Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I ladies, I'm new to the group and have been working on C25K for a week and didn't know there was a group till this morning. :smile:

I'm started out slow and the past few days was knocked off the track due to a cold. :sick: but I've stuck to the diet and am actually doing good cause I lost another 1.6 lb.

I'm working towards my first 5k but realistically I know I will walk most of it b/c of my weight but I know it will get easier as the pounds come off. I am bound and determined to run a 5k this year. Friends and I are doing ColorVibe next month and then Color Me RAD in June. I'm excited to do them.

I do like the C25K app on my phone it's helped a lot and the Nike+ …now if I can only get the DishTV in our the workout room I'd be watching GMC and working out. :laugh:

Well gotta get running…..ok walk/jogging. :)

Have a great day everyone.
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    So I am starting tomorrow morning (hopefully I won't ignore my alarm and sleep through it). I am terrified of running outside. Don't want to be embarrassed by my weight juddering up the road. I am looking forward to this programme.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Betty - I was so ashamed when I went to lace up my shoes again. I thought everybody would see me and just laugh or expect me to quit. The reality is, the only time somebody sees running and thinks of you critically is when you're on a treadmill in front of a mirror.

Of course, now I'm a C25k grad and everybody I talk to tells me that they could NEVER run and am amazed that I have this special ability (I'm not sure what that ability is besides to tie my shoes and hit play on my app).

Here's a classic: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Take it slow. Don't over do it. Don't let that little voice in your head tell you that you can't do it. It will be challenging, no doubt about it, but you can do it.
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Betty - I was so ashamed when I went to lace up my shoes again. I thought everybody would see me and just laugh or expect me to quit. The reality is, the only time somebody sees running and thinks of you critically is when you're on a treadmill in front of a mirror.

Of course, now I'm a C25k grad and everybody I talk to tells me that they could NEVER run and am amazed that I have this special ability (I'm not sure what that ability is besides to tie my shoes and hit play on my app).

Here's a classic: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Oh my goodness that blog could have my name on name on it. The whole feeling so ashamed you just can't even bear to make eye contact with other people on the road. My eyes are usually glued to the ground. The sweat just drips as if I coming from the shower. i'm going to try to ignore all those negative emotions and creeping niggles of doubt.

Once you get up and running it's ok,you stop thinking about all these things and just focus on your breathing and going forward. Its just getting up and getting on the road/treadmill that takes a lot of work

Thank you for the support. I am grateful.
  • April482
    April482 Posts: 10
    Options
    I just started as well. I finished W1D3 today, but I'll be repeating Week 1 again, I think.

I can tell you that the first day I did it WRONG. When my 'run' prompt came on my podcast? I RAN. Like I was being chased (well...if one can be chased on a treadmill) and was miserable by the end of my second run. I could barely breathe! I was so discouraged and didn't even want to do D2.

I learned, on D2, that 'run' for me meant 'jog' and I made it. I felt it, I was winded, I was sweating - but I made it, and when today came around my confidence was way better and I was actually excited to start D3.

Pace youself. Do what you are comfortable doing. Repeat if you must. We're both going to get there!