What size dumbells?

Options
woodwardtm
woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
What size dumbells are you using for the 30DS? Does it come with a size or have a recommended size?

Replies

• bugs5697
    bugs5697 Posts: 85
    Options
    I only have 5's at my house. And it is NOT easy to start with 5's, at least for me. Ow...
    But I've seen some people use soup cans too.
    I'd say anything goes!
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    I could never do the anterior side lunges with the lifts with a 5lb set. I have 5 lb. ones at home but I know that would kill me. I wanted to buy something different but wasn't sure which size.
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use 3 lbs for the anterior side lunges with the lifts (my hardest exercise) and 5 lbs for the rest so far. I might start using the 8 lbs for just those couple of raises where she says you can use the heavier weights. (chest flys?)
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have 3 and 5 lb weights but am starting with only 3 lbs....
  • cestmaryyy
    cestmaryyy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the ones with the soup cans ;)

That's hard enough for me at the moment! I swear I've never been so aware of my arm muscles in my LIFE. Owch.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I have 3 and 10 lbs at home, so I was using the 3 lbs. Yesterday I grabbed my 1 lb Zumba sticks as well and made it four. I don't want to buy more weights because I'm guessing the other levels will be harder.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    But I've seen some people use soup cans too.

Actually, I just moved up to fruit cocktail cans, They're a bit harder to manage but heavier...
    On a related note. I have NO IDEA why I have cans of fruit cocktail. Canned fruit is gross.

On second thought, one of them is a can of pineapple.. :laugh:
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I must be a weakling! My weights are 0.5kg (1.1lb) each, not sure I could go heavier.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'm using 3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) at present which seem about right for me, although I have some 5 pound ones, just in case!
  • CrimeanGurl
    CrimeanGurl Posts: 103
    Options
    I considered beginning with 3lbs and moving up as I go, but then decided to be super tough I went for the 5lbs ones, which are totally killing me.
  • scarletspy
    scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use 3s for everything except the rows, bicep curls and chest raises. I can barely get through the anterior raises with 3s. Those things'll kill me! :grumble:
  • bugs5697
    bugs5697 Posts: 85
    Options
    I could never do the anterior side lunges with the lifts with a 5lb set.

Oh trust me... I FIGHT through those dam side lunges, cursing Jillian the whole time.
    I'm lucky I can still carry drink trays at job #2. lawdy
  • wannabeloser08
    Options
    I use 5lbs for everything EXCEPT the anterior raises and side lunges... those things are my biggest challenge.
  • goldencoley
    goldencoley Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use 3's and 5's... THOSE DAMN SIDE LUNGES w/ ANTERIOR RAISES!!! Glad to hear I am not alone with my disdain for them!! My shoulders are killing me :)

Make it hurt so good!!
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    I am using 2lbs which is fine for the anterior raises but Ian' t enough for the other things. On a bright notes today was day 8 and I have bicep definition! Woot!
    I previewed level 2 and I am scared of the push up thingies. LOL
  • Naamah18
    Naamah18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started with 3 lb. weights, then decided to use 5 lbs. for the chest flies and rows. I might try it for the squats and bicep curl-lunges as well. Totally in agreement with everyone else - those side lunges are killer!
  • PMDiva
    PMDiva Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm using 5 lbs weights for all moves since I was up to 10 lbs with strength training before starting DS.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Mine are in kilos

I was using 3kg (6.6lbs) for everything but now only for anterior raises and squat press.

Everything else 5kg (11lbs)

I'm on day 6 and I feel strong ! It's amazing.

Can still only do ten push ups in a row- then I flop on my face !