Favorite Spices

Options
What are some of your favorite spices to add to meals on Medifast? From what I am reading somethings will need some help with flavor.

Anything I shouldn't use?

I like things hot and spicy, I will have to check out and see what my mom uses in some of the Thai food she makes and see if it is OK to use in something like chili or soup for that added kick.

Are things like Mrs. Dash OK to put on a chicken breast for flavor for my lean and green meal?

Replies

• marjolycookie
    marjolycookie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I tend not to choose salt as a spice, but I go crazy on the rest of my spice cupboard. Mrs. Dash is my hero, I love almost all of the blends. They are great on chicken, pork, eggs... whatever I feel like cooking. Really jazzes it up, especially if you like flavor.
  • chellynn1983
    Options
    i use alot of garlic and onion powder and the Ms. Dash is great too
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    This is my standard spice dump

Bacon salt 1/8 tsp
    Cumin 1/8 tsp
    Garlic powder 1/8 tsp

I'm a chili head so I have lots of habanero/ghost pepper sauces that I add. No carb only sauces of course!
    I've just started using no salt mrs. Dash
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Love the Mrs. Dash blends - I use those to season my lean and greens a lot. I also use Onion and Garlic powder in a lot of things. Cayenne is great to make things hotter, and the Chili of course, is better with more Chile powder and some salsa. Cinnamon in the Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, a bit of Maple extract in the Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal. Pepper in the Chicken Noodle and Wild Rice soups. I love the flavor of smoked Paprika and find myself using that a good bit too - and ground Celery seed in the Egg dishes. Cumin works well for some of the items too.
  • browneyedgirl7928
    browneyedgirl7928 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    When you say garlic - can that be fresh garlic also?

Thanks -- I'll be sure to hit the Mrs. Dash isle at the store and take your ideas for the oatmeal. I'm not a big oatmeal fan (actually hate it) and I have seen people making cookies or muffins out of them. I can eat an oatmeal cookie. LOL!
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    I use fresh garlic

Remember to log what you are using. Things like onion powder and chili powder have carbs. not many but they still do. if your riding a fine line on your total carbs these can put you over.
  • trinics_416
    trinics_416 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend "Magic" Seasonings by Paul Purdhomme . I use it on my Lean and green meals it is just out of the world!
  • browneyedgirl7928
    browneyedgirl7928 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I started Medifast. It didn't come in time for breakfast, but I started at lunch. Had the chicken soup. It reminded me a lot like hospital food. Bland and no taste. I added some red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper to it. That helped a lot. It definitely needs something more -- like garlic. It's lacking in flavor -- texture wise not too bad.

I had a peanut butter bar for my afternoon snack and that was delicious. Smelled just a peanut butter cup. Planning on a shake after my lean and mean and not sure for my final snack, but all the sweet stuff looks pretty good.

I stocked up on a lot of no carb, no anything spices and sauces at the stores this weekend. Wanted to be prepared for when my food came.

Looking forward to seeing what this journey takes me on. Hopefully, a nice weight loss!

Appreciate all your suggestions and advice.