Best way to lose weight while training?

Options
Hi there! I'm Kelly, 28 years old, 5'5" and need to lose 5-10 lbs to get back to my ideal race weight. I have run 2 full marathons before and have my 3rd coming up in May. Like the rest of the world, losing weight is not easy for me and the only way I have been successful before is no/low carb (South Beach) dieting which I do not want to do while training for a marathon for obivous reasons.

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My best tip: track everything you eat here on MFP and stay at a deficit. As you may know, if you use your running as a license to eat you can and will gain weight. I've put on weight while running 50+ miles per week (simple math eating more than I burn or put another way "running 50 miles and eating 60 miles worth of food").
  • K_Mcfadden321
    Options
    Thanks! Do you follow a certain % of carb/fat/protein while training?
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want to go low carb but how many carbs are you having? You proabably wont need anywhere as many carbs as you are taking and they can soon rack up when you're necking gels etc.

Also the type of carbs you take and timing will have an impact. Different people respond differently to carbs so there may be an element of trial of error.

I tend to try and stick around the 35% carb mark except for long run days where I dont really care and it seems to work for me.
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in this too. They say each lb lost equates to an increase in speed of 2 seconds per mile.

I still find it very hard to lose weight even though I stay within MFP guidelines but I think I'm one of those people who should not eat all the exercise calories earned in a day. Don't get me wrong I AM A SINNER but usually when I do it's within the calories to be consumed on MFP as a result of all the running.

I don't gain weight but I don't lose it either. I'm running 40 miles a week and cycling another 20.

I'm noticing a slight improvement in weight loss as my mileage increases but nothing mind blowing.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Do you follow a certain % of carb/fat/protein while training?

my only goal is to not eat too much, which is typically met with limited success!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Right now I am trying, in addition to MFP, an app from the site NutriTiming. The gist is when you have your calories is just as important as how many and helps prevent burning lean tissue. The app is not very intuitive but once I got it figured out is it easy to use
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Right now I am trying, in addition to MFP, an app from the site NutriTiming. The gist is when you have your calories is just as important as how many and helps prevent burning lean tissue. The app is not very intuitive but once I got it figured out is it easy to use

It's not just when you have them but WHAT you have when.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Agreed
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Have you noticed any difference in following NutriTiming? Or is it too early to say?

If you try and keep carbs around 35% what type of protein percentage do you follow? 35 or 40% protein? At one stage I had carbs at 50% after reading some running articles. It was not good.
  • tfonz10
    tfonz10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The only way I am able to lose weight while marathon training is to log (of course) and keep my weekley deficit to no more than 1/2 lb per week. Also, I often mistake thirst for hunger, so I have to make sure I drink 1.5 - 2 gallons a day. I am going to start training for my 4 th marathon in June and for the first time will be eating to maintain. Good luck!