Calluses stalling my deadlifts - any tips?

Options
osualex
osualex Posts: 409 Member
When I first started Stronglifts, I progressed in my deadlifts pretty well - they were the only lift I was able to lift, with proper form, the first time and follow the progression every week. However, now my calluses are starting to get in the way. I know I have it in me to lift more but my calluses hurt so much I have to stop. Anyone else have this problem? Are gloves my only solution?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Have you tried liquid chalk? It really helped me. Also, callouses are often exacerbated with grip issues. Good video here from Rippetoe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Work through it in the gym as best you can, then if they've ripped treat them with neosporin and let them heal (this is why I deadlift towards the end of the week). Use lotion otherwise.
  • osualex
    Options
    I've never even heard of liquid chalk, can you find that at sporting good stores? I will check my grip form too, I'm sure there are all sorts of problems with it because I've never even thought about that!
  • osualex
    Options
    Work through it in the gym as best you can, then if they've ripped treat them with neosporin and let them heal (this is why I deadlift towards the end of the week). Use lotion otherwise.

A few of them are a tiny bit ripped and I try to use shea butter on them after every session. I deadlifted today and I'm not due to go again til Tuesday (when I want to break this plateau!)

This may be a weird question but should I...shave them or something with a pumice stone? Or is a little bit of a callus better when lifting?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I've never even heard of liquid chalk, can you find that at sporting good stores? I will check my grip form too, I'm sure there are all sorts of problems with it because I've never even thought about that!

I have never found it in a store - I get mine from Amazon. They do not seem to do the one I have anymore, but its this type of thing:
    http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Grip-LG-8-8-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B003L7N0EC/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_z
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Gloves are an option, but I find (especially with an oly bar) that they create grip issues of their own for me.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    gloves are not the answer.

use chalk when pulling deads. learn how to grip the bar better.

and as far as dealing with the callouses, get a pumice stone and wear them down after taking a shower.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    A few of them are a tiny bit ripped and I try to use shea butter on them after every session. I deadlifted today and I'm not due to go again til Tuesday (when I want to break this plateau!)

This may be a weird question but should I...shave them or something with a pumice stone? Or is a little bit of a callus better when lifting?

I know some guys who do, but to me that just means they'll have to go through the issue of building them again. I personally get blisters a lot from my pulls, and will pop those so I can treat them and (ideally) they'll heal faster. Callouses I just leave alone until they rip.

I use eco-balls since they don't allow actual chalk at my gym: http://www.amazon.com/Metolius-Non-Marking-Chalk-Substitute-colors/dp/B000212TGA
  • osualex
    Options
    Thanks all, I think it is a grip issue so I will work on that first!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

and as far as dealing with the callouses, get a pumice stone and wear them down after taking a shower.

This^^^. Taking care of your hands goes a LONG way. Also the video by Mark Rippetoe on grip....good stuff. xx
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I've tried cutting mine with a razor, biting them off, and pumice stone (most recently).
    And I'm really happy with using the stone, no risk of really messing my hands up by cutting too deep.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    what grip are you using for deads? and over/under grip helped me a lot.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I know some swear gloves are not the answer but they help me. I have plenty of callouses and deads and clean and jerks are the only lifts I use them on, but they work. For me.

Try chalk if you can, and definitely work on your grip, but don't be afraid to try gloves if you can't use chalk.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

This!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves. I don't want my hands torn up. I've always worn gloves.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I wear gloves. I don't want my hands torn up. I've always worn gloves.

No comment. :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    To help us keep track of open threads, we are locking ones that appear to have been resolved: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/914180-thread-locking-and-intake-follow-ups

Should anyone wish to add anything to the thread, please PM either myself or SideSteel.
This discussion has been closed.