How do you keep carbs below 25?

Options
2»

Replies

• gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I looked at your diary - you have only logged food for 1 day in February so it is hard to make any suggestions that are specific. Here is what I have:
    1) Log your food everyday
    2) If you are on Keto set your macros on your food diary. Go to goals - chose custom - change fat to at least 65% (I do 75%) Protein to 25% and Carbs to 10%.
    3) Remove Sugar and add Fiber to your macros. You will need to subtract fiber from your carbs to get net carbs. You will try to stay low on your NET CARBS not carbs.
    4) Give this a couple weeks to work. If you are doing well consider increasing fat and decreasing carbs.

Hope this helps some.

On my profile it states that my food diary is kept on fatsecret.com, where it is public. I have logged faithfully every single day since 6th Jan. I am really sorry that you did not see that.

I use full fat fresh double cream and it DOES have carbs. It is written on the pot. I use milk in my tea. I never touch anything with sugar. I have rarely got my carbs under 30 -- the usual count is 30 to 45 - and I cannot get into ketosis (check sticks daily).

I have changed my goals on THIS site about ten times but next time I log in it has reverted me back to a high carb diet, so I have given up. I don't like the food tracker on here it does not recognise any of the things I eat. (I am in the UK)

No, I did not read your profile to know I would have to go to another site to see your diary. I have used FatSecret and it does have a better database. I went and looked. Why do you skip a meal most days? It seems to be either breakfast or dinner?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    To those who say eat more protein - I would HAPPILY do so, but I am scared to. I keep on reading that protein foods can turn to glucose, too! But how much protein do I have to eat before this happens? Nobody can tell me. So I try not to eat more than 100g in a day, or more than 200g portion of meat at any one sitting.

Can anyone help?

Use this:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

It will give a protein range -- go with the MINIMUM.

Also - if you could create a direct hyperlink to your specific page so people don't have to search, you might get more feedback (many of us haven't used the site and just aren't familiar with it). Add that to your profile, and any emails where you want feedback on your diary.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Why do you skip a meal most days? It seems to be either breakfast or dinner?

HI and thanks.

I eat 100 percent according to my appetite. That is why my calorie count can vary from 1300 on some days and up to 2200 on others.

If there are meals missing, it means I simply was not hungry.
  • turbojam_rocks
    turbojam_rocks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank-you very much for your response,it has really helped...I will have to be strong and get rid of the sugar LOL..
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    To those who say eat more protein - I would HAPPILY do so, but I am scared to. I keep on reading that protein foods can turn to glucose, too! But how much protein do I have to eat before this happens? Nobody can tell me. So I try not to eat more than 100g in a day, or more than 200g portion of meat at any one sitting.

Can anyone help?

Use this:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

It will give a protein range -- go with the MINIMUM.

Also - if you could create a direct hyperlink to your specific page so people don't have to search, you might get more feedback (many of us haven't used the site and just aren't familiar with it). Add that to your profile, and any emails where you want feedback on your diary.

THIS IS EXCELLENT THANK YOU. OMG.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Why do you skip a meal most days? It seems to be either breakfast or dinner?

HI and thanks.

I eat 100 percent according to my appetite. That is why my calorie count can vary from 1300 on some days and up to 2200 on others.

If there are meals missing, it means I simply was not hungry.

That is a great thing! I am trying to do that as well and not feel tied to my calories but I have learned that I am more relaxed when I try to stay in a range that I know works for me. Too high or low and I get nervous.

I think your diary looks pretty good but there are a few things I see. You can decide if you think they will work for you.

1) I saw that you ate a banana one day - from what I have read bananas and grapes are two huge no no's for keto. I would skip them. The melons also. I would only eat low glycemic index fruits. Check this out - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-and-worst-fruits/#axzz2N9yHi5YS

2) You have eaten yogurt on several days - just make sure it does not have any added sugar. Also know that milk sugars can spike your blood sugar. If you can consider changing over to a sweetened sour cream.

3) Your macros are all over the place. I would focus on the fat and increase it to 65% or greater per day. Your fat is usually just over 50% and your protein is higher than the typical keto diet. It looks like you are usually >30% protein. Protein can convert to carbs in your body. Decreasing your protein may help.

4) Sat 3/2 looks like a perfect keto day for macros. If you can try and mimic this you may have better luck in staying in ketosis.

IMO, I think the fruit is killing you. If you want to be on keto you need to drop the fruit, make sure you are in ketosis and then add back small amounts of low GI fruits.

I wish you the best of luck!