Meds questions

Options
Does anybody on here take Victoza?

Replies

• koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I take Victoza along with Levemir. When I started the Victoza I was able to reduce the Levemir (an insulin analogue) by almost half - and I spontaneously lost 3-4 pounds (I was not dieting at the time.) It seems to have been a good addition to my medications.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sorry Tracy I can't help you- I hope someone else can...
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    PLT I escaped this new med!
  • fwaffy49
    fwaffy49 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi -I've been taking it since November 2012. I had high hopes for it but it has not worked for me either in terms of bringing my BS down or in weight loss. In fact I have gained 10 lbs since last October. This I think is due to also starting at Gliclazide at that time - my GP thinks so too. The Glic helps the BS though - catch 22 really!
    I am on a clinical trial for the Victoza and the researchers say that it has been very variable - some people have done very well and others like me no change. They think it is to do with the state of the pancreas when you start it, so mine might be too shot!
    I have had no side effects from taking it - just disapointment, but everyones different!
    I am really trying hard to get my weight down as I would like to ward off insulin!

good luck with it all
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am interested to hear that some people are using Victoza on its own - that is, without an insulin as my doctor prescribes it (in my case, Levemir, and insulin analogue). I have had no complaints about it whatsoever - it has worked exactly as my endocrinologist said it would and without negative side effects.. As I mentioned above, it make a huge difference to my insulin dose - a good thing as my dose was very large before.

I wonder, are you seeing an endocrinologist or a family doctor? If a family doctor, this might be a good time to ask for a referral to and endocrinologist. Juggling diabetes medications can be very complex and few family doctors have the specific training or time to keep current on all of the ins and outs.
  • green_67_stang
    Options
    I took it for months with no noticeable difference. I went back to Metformin and Giyberide. The only thing it did for me was make me nauseous constantly and the smell of meat in the house was enough to drive me out.........didn't really eat meat for the whole time I was on it.