Underestimated

Options
Am I the only one here who completely underestimated just how BIG this surgery is?

I'm a nurse, I know better. But I was in good shape before surgery and envisioned myself sailing through everything. My surgery was on 2/26 (just barely 2 weeks), and I thought it would be a good idea to come back to work 1/2 days this week. What an idiot. Just taking my meds, getting my water, and taking naps has been a full time job. I didn't anticipate just how crappy I would feel, and for how long.

Please tell me I'm not the only one struggling 2 weeks out, and that it will get better.... On the up side, I've lost 14 lbs, and my work clothes today looked a bit silly....

Replies

• bnutsmom
    bnutsmom Posts: 1
    Options
    It took me a long while to feel myself.. I am longer working outside of the house, I have a 2 year old son but getting back to our normal daily routine took a few weeks. The gas pains lasted the longest for me and the pain around my port required pain meds it was so bad. walk walk walk walk and you will feel better. I was banded 7/5/12 I have lost 41 pounds since the day of surgery, I am a little disappointed with the loss, but I am getting my levoxyl increased :)
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve surgery on 6/11/12. I took two full weeks off from work and then went back to one week of 1/2 days 8am to Noon. I have a desk job but even that first week of 1/2 days was rough trying to work and still get down the 1 oz of protein shake and 7 oz of water every hour while working. I had a couple rough months but after month three I was pretty much back to normal.
    Each person is different and no matter how much we prepare ourselves before the surgery, it is still tough!
    Good luck!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have never been in the hospital and I am 55. This is HUGE for me and have completed all the research I possibly can get my hands on. I made the most of all my appts instead of just blowing thru them with ho-hum answers to their questions. I have made all the nutritional changes in addition to stopping smoking, drinking alcohol and eliminated carbonated beverages as well as fruit juices. This part of the process has taken me about the last 3 years to be able to say those good habits have now stuck. Taking it lightly....heck no! I just started my 7 days of pre-op diet. My VSG is next Tuesday 3/19....I am so ready!!
    As far as what to expect after surgery, I will be taking the week of surgery off as well as two additional weeks. Planning to return to work on April 8th. It will take time but I have the time now to give it. Without the surgery.... who knows ! But my chances at a longer healthier life are sure better!!
  • itsjustmedeb
    itsjustmedeb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Orchidmax, you are not alone.....As prepared as I thought I was for my surgery, it also kicked my behind! The 1st 3 or 4 weeks were pretty wicked but thankfully it does get better! Hang in there GOOD DAYS are coming!
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one. The good news is you are losing and can feel the difference. The bad news is that it is a major surgery and takes alot out of you. I am guessing that my age (55 at date of surgery) had something to do with it, plus I was not the healthiest to begin with. The surgery itself was fine, but I came home with fatigue and still have terrible backaches ever since.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It took me a month to start to feel normal, but even then, normal was different. I slept and drank as much as I could those first few weeks, and then the third week, I started moving more, but stayed home. By week 4, I was back at work, but home daily to take a nap right after work. Somewhere around weeks 5 and 6, I stopped needing as much sleep, and started feeling like I could get through the day. Having foods other than liquids helped, and taking it easy on myself in the beginning helped as well. I am now 3 months out and 78 pounds down total (50 since surgery) and I feel great! I'm right on target for my doctor's expectations and I meet my daily protein goals. Give yourself time, it will get better.
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well now you have me worried! I'm planning on the "sleeve" in May and while I expect some misery for a couple of days, I really didn't expect weeks or even months of feeling ill. Also at my age, 63 in May and mobility impaired, I'm even more nervous. Any advice? Encouragement?
  • orchidmax
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Each day gets better, it's just nice to know I'm not crazy:)
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    I had always been relatively healthy, other than being obese, so I thought I wouldn't have the common complications from surgery. However, 3 weeks out from surgery, I was back in the hospital having my gall bladder removed and it knocked me on my *kitten*. So you are definitely not alone, I think we all hope/expect we will get the easy end of it.