Anyone able to lose weight with a "high" TSH level (above 6)

Options
I am super frustrated!!! I didnt lose anything and I have tried everything, even raw/vegan and still didnt lose nothing but some water, I am on 100mg. of levo. and my tsh goes up every time I get labs! Of course being upset I am not completely raw but still very little dairy and no meat. Im have come to a conclusion that no matter what I eat or dont eat I wont lose until my TSH is normal, what do u guys think? March labs the TSH was 8.2...I have Hashimoto's BTW , I wish I could control this thyroid and make it go back to a somewhat normal state ...How do you cope when you doing everything right and the scale or measuring tape doesnt budge?

Replies

• charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Probably your doctor will increase your dosage. You should find a good endocrinologist for your self! It took me 3 years to find the right one!
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi Bridget!
    Charm is right, find a good endo! I had a TSH of 12 and found a good endo who has helped me get leveled out. I have dropped 60 pounds since October 2011 following a healthy diet and exercise. I eat 2259 calories a day only eating back exercise cals if I fall below my BMR. Best of luck! :)
  • vidalar
    vidalar Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No. My TSH has been around 5 and despite healthy eating and exercise, my weight won't drop at that level. HOWEVER, in the past two weeks, I have been transitioning to Armour Thyroid (from Synthroid). I've been able to this with the help of Janie Bowthorp's book "Stop The Thyroid Madness" http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Thyroid-Madness-Revolution-Treatment/dp/0615477127/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335278746&sr=1-1 I have also recently changed doctors to someone who looks beyond TSH labs to whether my symptoms are being alleviated. So far, so good. I have a long way to go; but I finally have hope. I HIGHLY recommend Janie's book.

Back to your question about coping. During the past year (as I've been slowly gaining), I coped by remembering that my weight was a result of my whacked-out thyroid. My daily mantra was that healthy must be a higher priority than weight. It's been good to give myself permission to take care of myself through healing food and extra rest when possible. This isn't a total solution; but it helped me cope. Again, I have more hope knowing that I'm changing my approach away from being a slave to TSH readings and synthetic meds.

I should add that, while I avoid processed foods, I am not a raw vegan. For me, healthy fats and proteins seem to keep my mind alert in the midst of the thyroid brainfog. (Although I am a firm believer that different people respond differently to different diets.) If you're interested, I follow the Maximized Living nutrition plan (http://www.maximizedliving.com/NutritionDetox/MealPlans.aspx). But it sounds like you're avoiding processed foods, which I think are most toxic to the thyroid and adrenals.

If it helps, I feel your pain. Good luck!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    First, TSH is really not very useful in figuring out if your thyroid is optimized or not -- Some info -- on T4 replacement and TSH labs. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/t4-only-meds-dont-work/

That said, your exercise is certainly helping your body overall to stay fit until you can get your metabolism squared away -- and eating healthy is good for everyone, regardless of their thyroid. So, don't be discouraged -- you are helping your body to stay healthy!!

If you've seen any of my posts, you know I am not a fan of synthetic T4 replacement (ie: levoxyl, Synthroid). I took it for 15 years and got fatter and fatter and sicker and sicker. I had 15 miserable years with a number of hypothryoid symptoms. But since my TSH was "normal" all I got was maybe a dosage change of Synthroid.

In January, 2012 I fired my endo and found a Naturopath that agreed to treat my symptoms -- not just my TSH. After only 4 months on Armour Natural Thyroid, I've not only lost weight, but I've eliminated cholesterol prescription and high blood pressure prescription. My docts have told me for years that my high cholesterol and high blood pressure were "genetic" and that I would be on these meds for life. Well, they are gone after only 4 months.

In addiiton to going on Armour, I went gluten-free and dairy-free. I've been sugar free for years except for fruit. I also take Vitamin D3 supplements, B12, extra Vitamin C and of course a good multi. I also take Natural Calm, magnesium citrate twice a day for constipation and stress.

I am a work in progress and my levels do fly around a little because I also have Hashimoto disease. But you don't have to suffer with hypo symptoms. There are doctors out there that will treat your symptoms -- so educate yourself at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
    Terri
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone ! You have helped me some , I actually have realized its not even about weight anymore( didnt think Id ever say that), its about feeling good, and being able to be a good mother and wife and to think like a smart person . Sometimes I feel major brain fog and forget all kinds of important stuff. I used to be even tempered and always took pride in having "book smarts" as my husband calls it, he has more of a "street smart" attitude. Everytime I get home from a Drs.appt. I feel let down and depressed , I dont have any insurance or I would find me an naturopath , Like my mom (who has a medical background) We dont take everything a doc says like he's our boss, we are the boss of our body. I am afraid to switch , and I dont know if he would but at this point I have to get better !! I did cut out gluten, processed foods,artificial sweeteners, meat and dairy (of course I had a few slip ups) I have less brain fog and a lot less fluids in my legs and feet. I have seen amazing things on eating at least 80% raw..but I would do it for health reasons primarily. All dr. want to do is give you a pill like its some kind of cure all, I think diet and exercise has helped me more than the pills! I love having people on here who know what Im going thru- because my husband and his family dont really know how miserable I am, I love you guys!
  • tecallahan
    Options
    No. My TSH has been around 5 and despite healthy eating and exercise, my weight won't drop at that level. HOWEVER, in the past two weeks, I have been transitioning to Armour Thyroid (from Synthroid). I've been able to this with the help of Janie Bowthorp's book "Stop The Thyroid Madness" http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Thyroid-Madness-Revolution-Treatment/dp/0615477127/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335278746&sr=1-1 I have also recently changed doctors to someone who looks beyond TSH labs to whether my symptoms are being alleviated. So far, so good. I have a long way to go; but I finally have hope. I HIGHLY recommend Janie's book.

Back to your question about coping. During the past year (as I've been slowly gaining), I coped by remembering that my weight was a result of my whacked-out thyroid. My daily mantra was that healthy must be a higher priority than weight. It's been good to give myself permission to take care of myself through healing food and extra rest when possible. This isn't a total solution; but it helped me cope. Again, I have more hope knowing that I'm changing my approach away from being a slave to TSH readings and synthetic meds.

I should add that, while I avoid processed foods, I am not a raw vegan. For me, healthy fats and proteins seem to keep my mind alert in the midst of the thyroid brainfog. (Although I am a firm believer that different people respond differently to different diets.) If you're interested, I follow the Maximized Living nutrition plan (http://www.maximizedliving.com/NutritionDetox/MealPlans.aspx). But it sounds like you're avoiding processed foods, which I think are most toxic to the thyroid and adrenals.

If it helps, I feel your pain. Good luck!

YOU GO GIRL!!!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I couldn't drop a pound no matter how hard or long I worked out until my tsh was squared.

I also feel compelled to mention that I went on a sweet potato binge, 1 a day for over a month. Started feeling terrible and when my blood results came back, it was like I had completely stopped taking my meds. I did some reading, and apparently there are all sorts of 'healthy' vegetables that suppress thyroid function. Since you're eating raw, try looking into goitrogens.
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    phew when my TSH was 25 and even at 10.06 I gained a puind everyday for two weeks... Joy oh Joy of thyroid removal...

I have been slowly able ot get some weight off (not like before when I could drop lbs by cutting back on treats and minimal exercise), now its low cals, eat super healthy and exercise everyday. I am my own setback sometimes because I miss eating the way I used to (always ate healthy- but would have a beer or four on weeekends - and still cannot break the habit yet)
    My last labs TSH was .66 I was still spiraling upwards with minor cheats, I felt amazing at .22 TSH (cannot rem exact other levels T4, T3 have had them tested as well, but they were in normal range... my doc tests all three)

I think I am getting really low again because I upped my own t3 (cytomel) levels and even increased my own synthoid intake... very slightly 5 extra mcg a day of cytomel and 12 extra of synthoid, but as teri (tecallahan) can attest, I;ve been losing weight again and still alloting beer for weekends haha... of course during the week I am super strict...
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am super frustrated!!! I didnt lose anything and I have tried everything, even raw/vegan and still didnt lose nothing but some water, I am on 100mg. of levo. and my tsh goes up every time I get labs! Of course being upset I am not completely raw but still very little dairy and no meat. Im have come to a conclusion that no matter what I eat or dont eat I wont lose until my TSH is normal, what do u guys think? March labs the TSH was 8.2...I have Hashimoto's BTW , I wish I could control this thyroid and make it go back to a somewhat normal state ...How do you cope when you doing everything right and the scale or measuring tape doesnt budge?

I have Hashi too. It is hard to lose weight. But, don't give up! The change in eating will benefit you no matter what. See if you can have Cytomel (T3) added to your mix or get on Armour. You need both T3/T4 to feel better. The weight loss will take a time
  • tecallahan
    Options
    phew when my TSH was 25 and even at 10.06 I gained a puind everyday for two weeks... Joy oh Joy of thyroid removal...

I have been slowly able ot get some weight off (not like before when I could drop lbs by cutting back on treats and minimal exercise), now its low cals, eat super healthy and exercise everyday. I am my own setback sometimes because I miss eating the way I used to (always ate healthy- but would have a beer or four on weeekends - and still cannot break the habit yet)
    My last labs TSH was .66 I was still spiraling upwards with minor cheats, I felt amazing at .22 TSH (cannot rem exact other levels T4, T3 have had them tested as well, but they were in normal range... my doc tests all three)

I think I am getting really low again because I upped my own t3 (cytomel) levels and even increased my own synthoid intake... very slightly 5 extra mcg a day of cytomel and 12 extra of synthoid, but as teri (tecallahan) can attest, I;ve been losing weight again and still alloting beer for weekends haha... of course during the week I am super strict...

So good that you are taking charge of your dose based on how you feel!! After being hypo for a long time, you get to know when you need a little more. My Naturopath is perfectly ok with my TSH of .1 - .2... if that's where I feel great, that's where I will settle. I know I'm not hyper, for heavens sake.. my temperature is usually around 96.1 :-).

But you are seeing some weight slide off, which is wonderful -- and you are holding yourself accountable for what you put in your mouth... it really takes both!!

Terri
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    Thank you everyone ! You have helped me some , I actually have realized its not even about weight anymore( didnt think Id ever say that), its about feeling good, and being able to be a good mother and wife and to think like a smart person . Sometimes I feel major brain fog and forget all kinds of important stuff. I used to be even tempered and always took pride in having "book smarts" as my husband calls it, he has more of a "street smart" attitude. Everytime I get home from a Drs.appt. I feel let down and depressed , I dont have any insurance or I would find me an naturopath , Like my mom (who has a medical background) We dont take everything a doc says like he's our boss, we are the boss of our body. I am afraid to switch , and I dont know if he would but at this point I have to get better !! I did cut out gluten, processed foods,artificial sweeteners, meat and dairy (of course I had a few slip ups) I have less brain fog and a lot less fluids in my legs and feet. I have seen amazing things on eating at least 80% raw..but I would do it for health reasons primarily. All dr. want to do is give you a pill like its some kind of cure all, I think diet and exercise has helped me more than the pills! I love having people on here who know what Im going thru- because my husband and his family dont really know how miserable I am, I love you guys!
    I feel so silly because I replied to your status (saying you posted this) before finally realizing that YOU POSTED THIS TOPIC, lol.

I understand completely what you are saying! When my TSH was at 17, I was non-functioning physically and mentally. When it was at 6 and then 8, I was still able to physically function (exercise daily) but my mental clarity was TRAGIC! I have always prided myself on my memory, I just REMEMBER things, details most people would overlook. Then I found myself forgetting what I was doing IN THE MIDDLE OF DOING IT. I felt so incredibly stupid for a while which was depressing because as you said, I feel as though I am a fairly intelligent person. When you are unable to access your own abilities.. it's tragic!

It was only a few months ago that I found Stop The Thyroid Madness. Up until finding that wealth of information I was not aware of avoiding certain foods, checking my cortisol and iron or even about getting my T3 in tune as well. I just went by what treatment method my doctor was advising which was testing and treating based on TSH. I figured that since I am telling him what's wrong then he should know what to do and DO IT.

I REALLY didn't want to find a new doctor. My current one has a great personality and bedside manners plus I didn't want to go through the whole meet and greet game. SO, I absorbed as much info from STTM as possible and had an appointment with him, kind of a last-chance to see if he'd hear me out and treat me with a new method. He did pretty much exactly as I asked and I have been feeling better. I switched to Armour and my T3 is within normal range, TSH is 1.33 - the lowest ever. I think the only thing holding me back right now is my ferritin level was 9 about a month and a half ago so I am trying to restore my iron.

I have been thinking much more clearly and FASTER - it's been such a wonderful feeling to know that my true self is not lost - my brain is not damaged LOL, I'm still here.. it's just going to take me a little more time to fully come back! You'll come back too, I promise!
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I feel so silly because I replied to your status (saying you posted this) before finally realizing that YOU POSTED THIS TOPIC, lol.

I understand completely what you are saying! When my TSH was at 17, I was non-functioning physically and mentally. When it was at 6 and then 8, I was still able to physically function (exercise daily) but my mental clarity was TRAGIC! I have always prided myself on my memory, I just REMEMBER things, details most people would overlook. Then I found myself forgetting what I was doing IN THE MIDDLE OF DOING IT. I felt so incredibly stupid for a while which was depressing because as you said, I feel as though I am a fairly intelligent person. When you are unable to access your own abilities.. it's tragic!

It was only a few months ago that I found Stop The Thyroid Madness. Up until finding that wealth of information I was not aware of avoiding certain foods, checking my cortisol and iron or even about getting my T3 in tune as well. I just went by what treatment method my doctor was advising which was testing and treating based on TSH. I figured that since I am telling him what's wrong then he should know what to do and DO IT.

I REALLY didn't want to find a new doctor. My current one has a great personality and bedside manners plus I didn't want to go through the whole meet and greet game. SO, I absorbed as much info from STTM as possible and had an appointment with him, kind of a last-chance to see if he'd hear me out and treat me with a new method. He did pretty much exactly as I asked and I have been feeling better. I switched to Armour and my T3 is within normal range, TSH is 1.33 - the lowest ever. I think the only thing holding me back right now is my ferritin level was 9 about a month and a half ago so I am trying to restore my iron.

I have been thinking much more clearly and FASTER - it's been such a wonderful feeling to know that my true self is not lost - my brain is not damaged LOL, I'm still here.. it's just going to take me a little more time to fully come back! You'll come back too, I promise!

Love, love, love this story!! How wonderful that your doctor actually listened and is treating you the way you want!! AMAZING!!
    I fired several doctors and finally ended up with a Naturopath (not covered by insurance) before I was able to find adequate treatment. Great job!!

Terri
  • ev544
    ev544 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just found your post.I am so frustrated with the situation.I've been on a variety of thyroid drugs for the past 2+ years. Most recently my doctor put me on Armour. The first day made it clear that I could not take the full dose. After 6 weeks on half dose, I went from TSH 8 to TSH .005!!! Needless to say it was not comfortable. In January, I dropped the thyroid drugs and for a few weeks I had energy, I was thinking clearly (thyroid problems have been putting me in a fog) and was losing weight! But then it started slipping away. My last TSH check put me at TSH 9.9. Little energy. gaining weight depressed and frustrated. I have also been trying to focus on nutrition. I had been vegetarian and started vegan early January. i just don't know what else to do
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I just found your post.I am so frustrated with the situation.I've been on a variety of thyroid drugs for the past 2+ years. Most recently my doctor put me on Armour. The first day made it clear that I could not take the full dose. After 6 weeks on half dose, I went from TSH 8 to TSH .005!!! Needless to say it was not comfortable. In January, I dropped the thyroid drugs and for a few weeks I had energy, I was thinking clearly (thyroid problems have been putting me in a fog) and was losing weight! But then it started slipping away. My last TSH check put me at TSH 9.9. Little energy. gaining weight depressed and frustrated. I have also been trying to focus on nutrition. I had been vegetarian and started vegan early January. i just don't know what else to do

What dose of Armour were you on? Can you look at going on half the dose?

What were your free T3 and free T4 levels to go with that TSH? It's very common to have a suppressed TSH when on Armour or Nature Thyroid, so it isn't very useful to test at that point (since it's a pituitary hormone and not a thyroid one).
  • ev544
    ev544 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the response Islandmonkey. I don't know what he was thinking but my GP started me at a high dosage. I don't recall the dosage but I think it was 100mg. On the first day shortly after I took the meds I was jumping out of my skin on the phone to dr an hour later recommending that I start with half. He sounded reluctant and told me to get on the full dosage after a week. Seven days later I took the full dosage and felt extremely agitated. Subsequently went back to half. When I got checked, I told my GP that I continued with half the dose and he just shook his head and said my levels were probably the same. I went from TSH 8 to .005. I no longer trust his expertise. An endocrinologist just put me on 12.5 mg levoxyl (basically half 25mg tablets) to take it slow and see how I react. There was a lovely period in January when I was losing weight, had lots of energy, and was able to think more clearly than I had in years ( I used to be bright and today in my shower I couldn't remember if I washed my hair) but I've come to the conclusion that for a few weeks my levels were in the normal range as they were heading up. Drs never mentioned T3 and T4 levels - just TSH levels.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I started losing when I was around 7. I was WAY higher than that to start out with. I went from 7-3 and in that time frame, I lost a bit. From starting my Sythroid to getting pregnant, about a year and a half's time, I lost 24 lbs. My tsh is currently 2.7, though not trying to lose weight anymore, almost normal!

It's VERY frustrating, especially when people don't understand and don't listen. I went through a few doctors that wouldn't listen to my concerns.