Dr visit today

Options
jsiricos
jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
I am going to ask about increasing Metformin, as I cannot get a FBG below 100, no matter how hard I try

thoughts?

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    When my glucose kept going up, the doctor put me on 2 a day...500 mg a.m. and p.m. But mine was consistently in the 140-150 in the morning. Now that I've taken off some weight (55 approx.), I've gone back to 1 a day, but I split it to 250 mg in the a.m. and the other half at dinner. And my FBG ranges from 95- 115...with a periodic 125 or so...averaging out to about 106.

It doesn't hurt to raise the question with your doctor, but I'd guess he might decide you're doing fine and just keep working on weight loss and exercise. Good luck.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am on metformin twice a day and still cannot get mine below 100. It has still come down quite a bit and I'm getting there (usually in the 110-120 range). It's worth talking about.
  • jsiricos
    Options
    I take 500 x 2 times a day, and I hover around 105 - 125.
    I know when I wake if my BG is high, because of the headache,
  • alsoagood1
    alsoagood1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I took 1 - 1000 mg Metformin daily and because I hadn't been watching my eating was just put on another 1000 mg Metformin at night plus 10mg glyburide in the morning. My numbers have gone from the middle 200's to under 100 everyday. Yesterday my numbers were 75 fasting and 90 at 4:30 p.m.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am on time released 500 mg. I am down under 100 most of the day,but my fasting bg is always higher , like up to 140 or so.I was doing better with the regular metformin at 500 2 x a day, but was having stomach issues. I may need to increase mine or go back to the regular dose non time released. Good luck ,hope you doctor helps you out :)
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am going to ask about increasing Metformin, as I cannot get a FBG below 100, no matter how hard I try

thoughts?
    My thought is that is a really good range for a fasting glucose reading. What are your numbers after meals? You may also want to check your BG in the middle of the night to make sure you aren't going too low and the morning BG isn't a rebound reaction.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I think the discussion is quite valuable, here and with your Dr.. I'd be curious what your A1C is? My fastings are almost always over 100, often 110, but my A1C is 5.1. If they are close to 100 with a good A1C, you may be fine as is. I would definitely bring up the headaches however. No one needs those first thing in the morning.

Good luck!
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Im at extended release twice a day and my fbs is usually between 110 and 125 but my last A1C was 5.4. :smile:
  • jsiricos
    Options
    Well, she said my weight loss was amazing!

Suggested I eat a snack late in the evening, as late exercise hasn't worked.

My usual FBG is between 102 - 120

Not redoing my A1C until April :)
  • retiree2006
    Options
    Well, she said my weight loss was amazing!

Suggested I eat a snack late in the evening, as late exercise hasn't worked.

My usual FBG is between 102 - 120

Not redoing my A1C until April :)

Thanks for the update...I've been thinking about you today and wondered what the doctor would suggest. Sounds like she was really impressed by all your hard work. Hope her suggestion of a late night snack helps makes a difference.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed as T2 12/11 with an A1c of 7.3 and began 500mg of Metformin/2x per day.

Six months later, my A1c was 5.5, but I had been unsuccessful at bringing my fasting numbers below 100. I had tried reducing carbs further ( I eat around 25040 net carbs per day), eating earlier, eating a later snack, eating various carb/fat/protein combos for snacks, late exercise, no late exercise. I did request an increase in my Metformin dosage at that time as I was incredibly frustrated.

I began taking the same 500 mg dosage in the morning and 1000 mg at night, added back in a leisurely 15 minute exercise session, no longer eat past 9pm and make my last snack low-carb ... usually a handful of almonds.

At my one year check-up, my A1c was 5.2 and fasting numbers were quite consistently below 100. I reduced my Metformin dosage back to 1000mg/day. Generally, my fasting numbers are still below 100 - approximately every 2 weeks, I'll have one morning reading I can't explain (like this morning's 107).

I'll be getting another A1c in May, so will re-evaluate then and decide if I will cut the dosage again or keep it at 1000mg.
  • jsiricos
    Options
    ok, late night snacks are not working for me, my fbs has been about 10 points higher both days
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm new to this group. I am an insulin dependent Type 2 Diabetic, but also take Metformin. I take 500 twice a day. I take Humalog and Lantus. Yesterday I went to my diabetic check-up and was able to decrease Lantus from 80 to 70 units a night. I'm expecting my sugars to be a little higher while my body gets used to the lower dosage. I gauge humalog based off my bs before eating and what I will be eating. Glad to be in this group for the support! My long term goal is to get off the insulin.
  • retiree2006
    Options
    ok, late night snacks are not working for me, my fbs has been about 10 points higher both days

What kind of snacks did you try?
  • jsiricos
    Options
    spoonful of PB on celery,um, slice of chicken.. that kinda thing.

BUT since I stopped the late night snacks, the morning FBG has dropped down to 105 and no more blinding headaches (except the stress induced - thanks son!)
  • retiree2006
    Options

BUT since I stopped the late night snacks, the morning FBG has dropped down to 105 and no more blinding headaches (except the stress induced - thanks son!)

Glad to hear about both the drop in FBG and the headaches. I know you mentioned the headaches before when you were going for your doctor visit...didn't know if you'd gotten any advice there. Anyway, lots of this seems to be trial and error. I'm glad it's working out for you.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options

good to hear. My dietician recommended a late night protein snack as well but I just forget. I'm not very hungry or snacky after dinner on most nights. I did actually snack one some cucumber slices and ranch before bed last night and no real difference in sugars.

I am hoping if I can get on a regular exercise schedule it will help.