How do you pass the time on your runs?

Options
2»

Replies

• shanse21
    shanse21 Posts: 26
    Options
    I go the podcast/audiobook route for longer runs. I lose myself in them, and sometimes run longer than I had planned because I want to finish the chapter!
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The right music will certainly help you keep a good pace. I just kind of zone out - its me, my breath, and the road. I've tried to meditate in yoga class, but I think I do it better while running. :)
    I feel the same
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I, too, prefer energetic angry music. It actually helps relieve tension for me. However, back in the day, I wrote my best papers while running. After each lap, I'd pause and scribble the ideas. The words flowed like water when I was running! I never even noticed the time then. These days, it is lesson plans and such, but it still works :smile:
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I listen to fairly energetic dance music on my ipod. And I have a pretty scenic running route along the local river if the weather's good, if not, the cardio floor of my gym looks out over a big forested area. So I just zone out.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    If it's a short run, I like loud, rockin' music. If it's long, I prefer a book on tape to deal with boredom.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    What kinds of things do you guys do to pass the time in your mind?

I tried podcasts and audio books but I just cant concentrate. I like kind of emotional or angry music I cant listen to anything upbeat and happy when I run. I like to picture I'm in the music video if that makes sense.

I also do things like win arguments and give motivational speeches in my head when I run lol

Funny, I was thinking of this message thread while I was running this morning — I don't have time to think of anything other than running when I'm running (unless it's thinking about a message thread about running!).

I don't "just run", though. I spend time studying how the body works during running and I'm teaching myself how to run well so there's a lot going through my head as I run - head up and looking down the road, posture, breathing, arm swing, foot strike, knee lift, heart rate, etc.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    What kinds of things do you guys do to pass the time in your mind?

I tried podcasts and audio books but I just cant concentrate. I like kind of emotional or angry music I cant listen to anything upbeat and happy when I run. I like to picture I'm in the music video if that makes sense.

I also do things like win arguments and give motivational speeches in my head when I run lol

Funny, I was thinking of this message thread while I was running this morning — I don't have time to think of anything other than running when I'm running (unless it's thinking about a message thread about running!).

I don't "just run", though. I spend time studying how the body works during running and I'm teaching myself how to run well so there's a lot going through my head as I run - head up and looking down the road, posture, breathing, arm swing, foot strike, knee lift, heart rate, etc.

This is me. I just return over and over to focusing on form. I also like to pay attention the sounds, sights and smells along the way. The crunching of the snow, a barking dog, the smell of a wood stove are all part of the experience and I enjoy that. Now, on a treadmill, I am all about the headphones and keeping it upbeat. But, even then, I really look to pay attention to what my body is doing.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    comedy podcasts. Favourites are Hollywood Babble-On, TOFOP and Jay and Silent Bob Get Old. All are adult only but very funny.

I do look like a tool laughing to myself running down the street though.

hahahaha winner