Troubling numbers in the lab work

Options
made2wonder
made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
I got my latest labs back from the doctor, and I was very disappointed in the results. The worst was my cholesterol, up from 144 to 180. LDL went from 80 to 114, and HDL down from 48 to 44. Triglycerides, from 95 to 155. My A1c went from 5.7 to 6. Now, two years ago they were a lot worse -- my triglycerides were over 300, and my insulin was over 100, but it's 15 now. I've worked hard at modifying my diet to get them down. But now, I am on the first weight loss diet that I've been able to stick to in over 5 years. I've lost 7 pounds since November and three inches off my waist. Yet, the numbers are going the wrong direction.

More troubling is one of the numbers in the metabolic panel, the Vitamin D. It's gone from 18 down to 11. I don't know as much about Vitamin D as I do cholesterol, but apparently this is bad. My doctor didn't note it as a concern, but the computer printout of the lab results does. And the health coach I talked to today to follow up on the report said she'd never seen a level so low. She can't figure out how I have the energy to get out of bed in the morning. Apparently, it plays a role in insulin production, so I can't figure out why my doctor wouldn't want to treat this deficiency. I intend to ask him.

The doctor wants me to go on the TLC diet, which is to combat the cholesterol problem. But it's not designed for weight loss, and it emphasizes carbs over protein, because animal protein contains cholesterol. Meat is limited to 5 oz. a day. I'm worried that more carbs would elevate my blood sugar.

I've been depressed about this for the past few days, because it seems that my weight loss efforts have backfired. Now, I am just confused. I sent the health coach some of my food diary pages, and she thinks I'm on the right track, to just limit meals to 45 carbs and increase healthy fats. And to supplement with some D3 and folate.

I'm not sure what to eat anymore, or if anything is going to help me lose a significant amount of weight. It's all very frustrating, and I would appreciate any words of wisdom from anyone whose dealt with some of these issues.

Replies

• jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You NEED the vitamin D. Mine was almost as bad as yours at 3.2 and my Dr put me on a once a week dose of 500,000 units.
    Did that for 6 months or so.

Now I take an OTC vitamin D (Dr said it wouldn't hurt) - I take 3 or 4 at a time just to top my level up.

I'm sorry, I wouldn't do that diet either, especially as you are making the right choices now. Add something like Oatmeal with Cinammon (lowers BS and lCholesterol)

Good Luck!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I got my latest labs back from the doctor, and I was very disappointed in the results. The worst was my cholesterol, up from 144 to 180. LDL went from 80 to 114, and HDL down from 48 to 44. Triglycerides, from 95 to 155. My A1c went from 5.7 to 6. Now, two years ago they were a lot worse -- my triglycerides were over 300, and my insulin was over 100, but it's 15 now. I've worked hard at modifying my diet to get them down. But now, I am on the first weight loss diet that I've been able to stick to in over 5 years. I've lost 7 pounds since November and three inches off my waist. Yet, the numbers are going the wrong direction.

More troubling is one of the numbers in the metabolic panel, the Vitamin D. It's gone from 18 down to 11. I don't know as much about Vitamin D as I do cholesterol, but apparently this is bad. My doctor didn't note it as a concern, but the computer printout of the lab results does. And the health coach I talked to today to follow up on the report said she'd never seen a level so low. She can't figure out how I have the energy to get out of bed in the morning. Apparently, it plays a role in insulin production, so I can't figure out why my doctor wouldn't want to treat this deficiency. I intend to ask him.

The doctor wants me to go on the TLC diet, which is to combat the cholesterol problem. But it's not designed for weight loss, and it emphasizes carbs over protein, because animal protein contains cholesterol. Meat is limited to 5 oz. a day. I'm worried that more carbs would elevate my blood sugar.

I've been depressed about this for the past few days, because it seems that my weight loss efforts have backfired. Now, I am just confused. I sent the health coach some of my food diary pages, and she thinks I'm on the right track, to just limit meals to 45 carbs and increase healthy fats. And to supplement with some D3 and folate.

I'm not sure what to eat anymore, or if anything is going to help me lose a significant amount of weight. It's all very frustrating, and I would appreciate any words of wisdom from anyone whose dealt with some of these issues.

While animal protein does contain cholesterol, dietary cholesterol has not been proven to raise serum cholesterol. Your triglycerides and A1c have increased - these two things are tied directly to excessive carbs. I looked back a couple of weeks in your diary and would suggest adjusting your macros. Lower your carbs (try around 100 total - that's 25-50 less than you're eating now) and increase fats ( good ones like olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, nuts) and protein. Add some oily fish (if you like salmon, etc. - I don't) and/or a quality fish oil supplement to help your HDL/LDL ratio. Exercise will also help lower your A1c and raise HDL.

And I second the suggestion to take a D3 supplement. Many diabetics are D-deficient.
  • booklvr81
    booklvr81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As a T2 diabetic, looking at the TLC diet makes me panic. 65% of your calorie come from carbs. The suggested meal plans... oatmeal, melon and orange juice in one meal?!?! Bread, pasta salad, and an apple in another single meal!?!? Rice, strawberries, and frozen yogurt in another?!?! Popcorn and peaches for snacks?!?

I'm sorry, but I would say... find another doctor, one that will advise eating by your meter instead of recommending a diet so high in carbohydrate. That is a recipe for disaster.

I can tell you from personal experience that a low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet has seen great results for most of the diabetics I know (including myself!). South Beach and Atkins are two more known low carb diets... they have both worked for me. Right now, I am following a keto diet (sub 30 carbs per day for me), and seeing good results. Over a 1 percent drop in A1C in a month... my blood pressure has been registering normal... I haven't had a new triglycerides check yet, but that should have dropped as well.

God, reading this, it sounds like an ad for keto!

My most serious part of this post - - - find a new doctor. The ADA is slowly changing their recommendations for healthy diabetic diets, but it will take years for doctors and nutritionists to catch up. There are doctors out there - I currently have a GP and an endo who both support a more diabetic-friendly diet - but it may take some time to find one.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you want to chat about it :)
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist, and I still have a TON to learn about what to and what NOT to eat for a diabetic (KDIPIAZZ and RaineyLainey have been teaching/helping me a ton) but I can say from personal experience that getting the carb counts down is going to be critical, and getting the protein counts up will help tons.

I also supplement breakfast and my last snack with cinnamon - sprinkle it on the food, but you may elect to take the capsules. It has done wonders for my BS, especially since I don't deal well with the meds. Recently I've also started adding - or trying to add - a daily capsule of flax seed oil. Good omega 3s with out the fishy after taste lingering all the time.

With out meds, I've managed to drag my A1c down from a 7.1 to a 6.5 in 3 months on diet and exercise. If your nutritionist or health coach agrees with your diet, then I'd go with that. Carb heavy is what probably got you into the mess, so it stands to reason if you limit your carbs, you'll get the problem under better control.

For the question of the supplements - definitely. If you are low in any area, then supplements are a good way to help bring them back up into proper balance.

(Just my two cent's worth.)
    Good luck, and keep at it. I'm sure you'll make the turn around, and be back on track quickly!
  • made2wonder
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I have my carbs set at 40% now, but I've been going over some days, especially on vacation last week. I am going to increase the fats to 35% I know all about healthy fats, so I'm good on that. :) I've done Atkins and South Beach before, but since I've been diabetic, I can't go too low on the carbs or I start to fade. Last year I tried South Beach, and four days into it I had a few hypo episodes and had to add a few carbs to Phase 1 so I could keep going. And I'm going to lean more heavily on fish and vegetable proteins.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation of a keto diet. It works. It will lower your blood glucose levels and your cholesterol. My macros are set at 5% carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat. Keeping the fat macro at 75% or higher has significantly smoothed out my BG levels. I'm not on insulin so you may need to have more carbs to avoid an insulin reaction.

You MUST eat to your meter.

I highly recommend that you do a lot of reading at bloodsugar101.com. And, get a new doctor.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I am surprised your doctor didn't talk about putting you on a cholesterol medication. On my last visit my doctor said my vitamin D was low and to take a supplement. My bad cholesterol was 154 and they put me on a statin. I have a follow up appt in April so hopefully my number is down. My other #s were pretty good and I have a high fat, high protein diet.
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Be aware that some of the new studies on the statins show troubling side effects and questionable benefits on reduction of heart attacks. Seems to me, that if getting BG under control and eating healthy fats will do the trick, you might be better off than using a statin.
  • made2wonder
    Options
    I'm on two statins, and not happy about it. High cholesterol is a hereditary trait (as well as the diabetes, at least on my mother's side) but my goal is to reduce or eliminate the need for statins by losing weight.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'm on two statins, and not happy about it. High cholesterol is a hereditary trait (as well as the diabetes, at least on my mother's side) but my goal is to reduce or eliminate the need for statins by losing weight.

Ask your doctor about non-flushing niacin. It's helped a few friends.
  • made2wonder
    Options
    My mom was on niacin for awhile. It was a bit tricky, as I recall, but I don't remember why.