Abs are made in the kitchen Really?

sam308lbs
sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
So i get that to uncover my abs,i should cut my body fat to 8-12 % atleast and that compound lifts are the way to go!!
But really? no specific exercises are required to get nicely defined abs with deep seperation ? I mean sure bench press does work my biceps but i wont solely depend on it to gain size on my arms.

Would like to know your opinion on this ?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    My opinion is that direct ab worked isn't needed, but it does improve how your abs will look once you're lean enough.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    1. bench press works your chest, your arms are indirectly working.

and I'm sure I have a rockin set of abs from all the squats I do, they are just under a nice layer of fat.

So BF% first

3490534592234 crunches later
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    I haven't done an ab exercise in years. It's possible some direct ab work will make them bigger...but I don't really even want bigger abs. Mine stick out and look bloated enough as it is. Well, that and I'm much fatter now. But I just dont see the point in directly working abs.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    abs are made in kitchen for sure.i dont train my abs directly at allbut i have great genetics for them. Heavy deads and squats build core muscles.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    in my humble opinion if u want great abs get ur body fat under 10% while having direct abs exercises incorporated in ur routine. if u want a flat stomach get ur bf <12% while having a lifting routine based on compound movements.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Here are some ab workouts that I particularly like:

Hanging Leg Raises
    Crunches/Sit-Ups on Decline Bench
    Pallof Press
    Abwheels
    Side and Front Planks

I find that front squats are really ideal for my core - I feel it engage when I'm just using the bar, let alone with some weight on it.

I do one day where I treat abs like a muscle group, 3-4 exercises, 3-4 sets each. And I do hanging leg raises and sit-ups at the end of my workout on 2-3 other days.
  • sam308lbs
    thanks for the responses fellas.i guess there is no one definite answer to this
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Do these abs taste more like chicken or beef?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    the saying is referring to the fact that you will never see them if you don't have your diet in order.

I typically just let the big compound lifts do the core work but I also enjoy some of the core exercises and I also like to do bar stuff like front levers etc which require a lot of core strength.

So there is no harm in doing additional core exercises. You train them just like any other muscle. If you want them to grow, choose an appropriate rep range and go for it.

The deep separation you talk about is largely genetics though and you can't change that.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    the saying is referring to the fact that you will never see them if you don't have your diet in order.

I typically just let the big compound lifts do the core work but I also enjoy some of the core exercises and I also like to do bar stuff like front levers etc which require a lot of core strength.

So there is no harm in doing additional core exercises. You train them just like any other muscle. If you want them to grow, choose an appropriate rep range and go for it.

The deep separation you talk about is largely genetics though and you can't change that.

this sums it all up.

I think if you're squatting and deadlifting then you really don't need a lot of extra work for the core.
    I'll throw in a few leg raises or decline situps 1-2 times per week, but that's more for the sake of strength as opposed to hypertrophy.

The way your abs look will depend on genetics and bodyfat %
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    You train them just like any other muscle. If you want them to grow, choose an appropriate rep range and go for it.

This is a point that needs to be emphasized. For some reason, people tend to train abs differently than they train other muscles. A few sets per week, hard and heavy is plenty; the same thing you would do with biceps, calves, etc.
  • sam308lbs
    You train them just like any other muscle. If you want them to grow, choose an appropriate rep range and go for it.

This is a point that needs to be emphasized. For some reason, people tend to train abs differently than they train other muscles. A few sets per week, hard and heavy is plenty; the same thing you would do with biceps, calves, etc.
    Thanks! So Any idea what ab exercises can i do which burn me out in the 5-8 rep range ?
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    i used to drag the decline situp bench to the cable station and do weighted crunches.. really hard compared to just holding a weight plus u get resistance at the top.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member

Thanks! So Any idea what ab exercises can i do which burn me out in the 5-8 rep range ?

that really depends on your level and what you have available.

My go to exercises are:
    ab wheel rollouts (knees, with a weight vest or standing. Also been doing them for time in the outstretched position)
    dragon flags
    hanging leg raises
    front levers

If any of the last 3 get too easy you can add ankle weights.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    dragon flags
    hanging leg raises
    front levers

If any of the last 3 get too easy you can add ankle weights.
    Or do them more slowly. For me doing the hanging leg raises in slo-mo made it brutal!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    If by "in the kitchen" you mean eating clean, then no. I got down to single digit BF% and my leanest ever with popping abs, eating pizza, burgers, etc on a daily basis.
  • sam308lbs
    thanks guys!! I will try those..appreciate it :drinker:
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    If by "in the kitchen" you mean eating clean, then no. I got down to single digit BF% and my leanest ever with popping abs, eating pizza, burgers, etc on a daily basis.

You probably have been blessed with good genetics...
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    I've preferred the saying modified to, "Abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen."
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    I've preferred the saying modified to, "Abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen."
    like it