Disappointed in myself

Options
Inshape13
Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
So I started out strong this week and then moved into stressville when my kid was sick and I missed the gym for a few days. I got in my workouts and was doing fine and "stuck at home with nothing to do and the attitude of the sick child" kicked in and I gave into the binge yesterday and went over cals by around 200 even after the exercise cals.

Today, well that is a whole nother story. Still stuck at home today and decided to go to the gym....by now my stress level has skyrocketed and I have gone into full on binge mode downing candy and mini cakes and even a pizza strip along with some Snackwells cookies. I tried to do well walking through Publix and thought....."I can stop at any point during this purchase of the mini cakes and turn it around and choose not to eat them". That did not work and it is soooooo disappointing that I did not turn it around because I have been working really hard to resist the binge urge and it still gets bad sometimes. It is so aggravating because I am REALLY not hungry and feel miserably stuffed and crappy after the sugar from this junk food now.

I am at 1900 cals today and I have a spare 400 leftover from my exercise cals, but it is pissy to have to use the exercise cals because I did not control this.

Anyhow, just needed to vent and the family does not understand because all I get it "just don't eat it" so I wanted to turn here for accountability and support. Thanks so much!

Replies

• greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I understand - I am a stress eater too.

I guess try to think of the bright side - you didn't have a 3000 calorie day, like most of my binge days turn out to be (at least).
  • cpeter76
    cpeter76 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for posting- You are not alone. I am struggling with the same thing and it is good to know that I am not alone either. I don't know what it takes to conquer those urges yet because I still find myself giving into them more times than I care to admit. I need to post more for accountability and just plain therapy. My poor sweet husband has been incredibly supportive, but I think it gets old and he has given me all the advice and encouragement he possibly can- I don't think I can turn to him again because I am sounding like a broken record and never changing. I hope I can get what I need from this group. To you I say- Never Ever Ever Give Up! Good Luck!
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way ): I literally binge on ANYTHING i can find.... Even when I'm not hungry or I don't really like the food, I just NEED to have it and it sucks because it is such a ridiculous addiction ):
    What I find that helps me is to do IF, you could do 14/10 til 18/6. I find it reduces my 'binging time' so at least I am better at keeping my caloric goals lower... I also try to make myself accountable by eating slower, and logging as I binge, and also try my best to binge the healthy stuff first so that I'd at least get full!
    Just continuously reminding myself that I just need to be a little better than yesterday, and to focus on my goals...

Second the poster that said to join the March Challenge Binge thing!

I also try to remind myself that while binging is an abnormal way of eating, if i'd manage to stay within my caloric goals then I try not to beat myself up about it... People have different ways of doing things and that goes for eating..

STAY POSITIVE!! :D

Good luck and hopefully all of us will find a way out soon <3
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies because it helps to see that others understand because it feels like the whole family can not even relate at times. I saw a posting by a fellow MFPer this morning that would be helpful to me and thought I should share it because it may help someone else as well. Have an awesome weekend....beautiful weather here!

http://adrienescouch.blogspot.ca/2013/03/inspiration-mondays-two-of-three.html
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I can only say what I need to hear - It' about progress, not perfection! The fact that you came on here and shared is a great step! Being able to see what you are doing and why is another step toward your success! Reading what other MFP people are doing to handle the problem is another great step! No matter how bad you think you are doing, you are way ahead of those who aren't even trying.
    Give yourself some credit. Probably my most dangerous habit is to totally trash myself over a binge. That is what will eventually lead me to give up which is the only failure here!! If you get too hateful toward yourself, you won't believe you are worth the effort to stop this binge process!!
    Yes, the "just don't eat it" crowd....how I wish I were you :) But I am not, so here I am, doing my best and having my successes in my own way.

Focus on the solution, not the problem. Replace one bad habit at a time with one new habit, until you squeeze the bad habits out!!