Another Newby

Options
sansbuda
sansbuda Posts: 22 Member
Hi, just started using MFP in February. I found it after I bought a fitbit to track my steps and it partners with this website. I've started logging my food which I've always thought would be difficult but MFP has a great database. I've lost 3 1/2 lbs so far. I'll be 63 in April. I live in northern Califormia & still work full time.

A question for you all: does anyone else have knee problems when exercising? I'm not significately overweight; I think it's just age-related. The last time I did 'real' exercise was 10 years ago and my knees didn't give me any trouble then. But now if I do squats or try running outside they are not happy. Does anyone know if those elastic knee bands help?

Dorothy

Replies

• ajhatkin
    ajhatkin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 63, have been exercising for a long time and have recently started having knee pain. Everyone at the gym I go to is about 20 years my junior and they run, jump, etc. I have had to modify all of my exercises to be low impact because of the knee pain. I have a dr appointment for next week to see what it is. I think it is our age :)
  • sansbuda
    Options
    Thanks for your response. Let me know if the dr has anything interesting to say about your knee pain other than your just getting old :-). I just wonder if trying to strengthen the muscles around the knee would help or are we just stuck with this.
  • ajhatkin
    ajhatkin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sansbuda - my doctor said I have inflammation due to some arthritis. He has me on an anti-inflammatory; if that doesn't work a steroid injection.
  • sansbuda
    Options
    Well at least now you know & sounds like it can be fixed. I started doing the 30 Day Shred (today is day 7), the modified version without deep knee bend during the squats. The muscles above and behind my knees have felt tight so I feel like they're getting worked. I've been putting ice on them after I work out & I think that helps.