Had an "OMG, I really am that fat" Moment today... bummed :(

Options
So like many people I've been on some sort of weight loss journey most of my adult life but recently started really taking my health seriously not just the weight. Well I have started to become more active and I love to swim but the last time I went swimming I was a few sizes smaller and so my swim shorts don't fit. My sister and I went to shop for some swim shorts for me today and after trying on what I used to consider my fat size...they wouldn't even go up past my hips. I even tried some Men's trunks thinking it will only be until my efforts start to show and I can get past the embarrassment quickly if I just stick with it... well folks... even THOSE didn't go up!

I have never felt so sad and defeated. I sat in that dressing room for a few minutes after putting my own clothes back on and it really sunk it just how unhealthy I am and just how big my body is now...wow, how did this happen?

I'm trying hard not to get depressed about it and I was able to use it today to continue to motivate me and to fight for my life but there is still a little voice in there that's in shock and feeling awful about myself. I know I will not be this weight forever because despite being alone in that dressing room I felt humiliated and I will NEVER allow myself to stay this way now, there's too much to live for!

I guess I'm just starting this topic if anyone else out there has had a moment like mine and is feeling alone. I'm trying to counter any negative thoughts with positive motivating ones. If you've ever had this happen to you, what was your moment? If you are struggling with staying motivated, let's help each other so we can put that UGLY UGLY moment behind us... I know I need support, how about you?

Replies

• squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hey luv. I like you have dieted forever!!! And I like you have had those moments you experienced. I totally understand how you feel hun its horrid isn't it? But do you know what? When ever I've tried to diet in the past, I've had those moments and focused on them so much that I've thrown in the towel, given up and ended up FATTER!!!!! :sad: But we CAN AND WILL succeed this time because like you said, you're doing it for the health side and THAT girl is what's going to make all the differance this time!!! Add me if you like and we can support each other, moan and cry about horrid moments dance and holla about our success :bigsmile:
  • teach722
    teach722 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had that OMG moment 2 weeks ago. I was feeling really good about my workouts, so I was brave and decided to walk into Zumba class at the gym. I was doing really good, and surprisingly keeping up. I was so proud of myself, until I stopped watching the instructor and actually saw myself in the mirror...the many mirrors that are in the gym. I couldn't believe how big I was. I was shocked. I don't have a full length mirror in my house, and haven't been shopping for a long time. I can't believe how I have gotten so large.

But I didn't let it defeat me. I still went back to Zumba this past week, and am just trying to avoid looking in the mirrors. I figure the only way to change the person I see in the mirror is with time and sweat.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I've definitely been there. As a side note, as a larger gal who attempts to swim, I can't say enough positive things about the swimsuits on onestopplus.com. They usually have good deals, and a good return policy if it doesn't work out. Best of luck!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Swimsuits For All has swimsuits in plus sizes as well. The last time I ordered, I saw they had some up to size 38.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My moment for that came some time back(about 2 years). I was at a family function and hadn't brought enough warm clothes so had to go shopping for some jeans. I grabbed the last size I knew I had worn and stepped into the dressing room. They were a 44. I could barely get them past my knees, let alone over my thighs. I called out to my wife to bring me the 48s thinking they would be big enough, and I sat down and cried in the dressing room when I had to tell my wife to grab a pair of size 50waist jeans. Since I wore scrubs daily and hadn't had to face a set of regular clothes in a few years I had no idea I had gotten this big. It took me 2 years to get my &^*@ together but I will never go back to that size again.:drinker: Now 53 days into MFP and 28lbs down I can do this with help from my friends. Add me if you would like!
  • Sinnister78
    Sinnister78 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I started here 4 weeks ago with no real "moment". Just a realization that I want to be a father alive for my 2 young little girls.

Just a few days ago my 3 year old was watching a commercial and she turned to my wife and said "Mommy, why is that lady crying? Is it because her husband died?"

Punch in the gut.

That won't be me.
  • KayeArlana
    KayeArlana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So I've finally decided to try online dating. I'm tired of waiting until I lose weight and just trying to you know live my life, so I've been looking for pictures to post. Anyway last night I came across one from this summer and near fell out. All I could think was "Dear God, is that really, really what I look like?" And then the funniest thing happened, I got really happy because just as quickly the thought changed to--Wow, I'm going to have the best before and after picks ever :)
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My moment was when my friends and I went out to eat. I tried fitting in the booth with them and couldn't. The restaurant was pretty busy so we waited over20 min to get a table with chairs! I was the most embarrassed I have Evers been.
  • marcelle65
    marcelle65 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    being 48 and diets for the last 40 yrs on and off, i have had many moments, going on an amusement ride, (trying to) i wouldnt lock past my gut, so had to get off and walk past everyone red faced, getting off a seat and the seat coming with me..... busting friends sofa's (yes plural) as well as garden chairs, getting my a** stuck in swings at the park (i know, i dont know why i sat on them too lol) trying clothes on in a changing room, and hearing threads break (oops)..... i swore when i got down my weight after a lap band that i would never get back up again...... but in january i was only 11 lbs away, and was so discusted in myself, i set myself a goal to get 14lbs off before my neices wedding next week, and i have done that my next goal is 14lb of for my fiance birthday in june...

i realised mine and my partners treat usually included a lot of calouries, (going out for a meal, pub, cinema, ) will have to make it theatre we dont usually pig out that much there.....

i was just watching my son get dressed and the poor mite has my gene's and not his dads, as he is 5'8 and 147 ish lbs... where as i am more than 2x that, i have become more aware on what i am feeding him alsoo add me, as i would like friends who

please feel free to add me, as i would like friends that understand how we feel, and someone that has only 14 lbs to lose can not understand someone that needs to lose over a 100, good luck all and keep your chin up xmx
  • Emilia1987
    Options
    I had that moment before Christmas, went to a concert hall, went into the box and saw all the chairs had arms, could not fit, but as 7 other people had to perch on the edge of the chair. Was in so much pain basically squatting, that at times made excuse to go out, so missed half the show and bits I was there for, I was busy counting songs in the programme to work out how much longer.

These moments suck, but I think it is important to take them and use as motivation, the day when we feel like it is never going to end etc to help reach the goals we set.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've had several of those moments!!!

Over a year ago I was on a plane and the seatbelt didn't fit. I was really confused...like why is this not working? I KNOW I'm not THAT fat!! But I was...

Also about two years ago when I went to start P90X with my hubby and attempted to do jumping jacks. Getting my weight off the ground was suddenly A LOT harder than I remembered it being...4?...5? ...10 years ago? (Not really sure the last time I tried.)

Around that time I also took a "before" pic. In shorts and a sports bra. Seeing that picture derailed me totally.

About a year and a half ago, I was in a picture with my husband's family. I literally looked cartoonish. It was like someone had photoshopped me and just increased me by 2 or 3x everyone else's size. It was posted on facebook and just totally made me want to hide under a rock. (Btw I am also 5'11'' and his family is SHORT so it didn't help).

These times have definitely gotten me down, but I am replacing them with good ones now.

I was on a trip just a month ago and every buckle on all three flights fit. :bigsmile:

For a challenge, I did a fitness assessment last week. I could do 50 jumping jacks in one minute. :bigsmile:

A couple months ago I took a new "before" pic. In shorts. I posed cheerily, thinking only about my after pic, and when I looked at it I wasn't depressed. Sure, I have a long way to go, but I will get there.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    So like many people I've been on some sort of weight loss journey most of my adult life but recently started really taking my health seriously not just the weight. Well I have started to become more active and I love to swim but the last time I went swimming I was a few sizes smaller and so my swim shorts don't fit. My sister and I went to shop for some swim shorts for me today and after trying on what I used to consider my fat size...they wouldn't even go up past my hips. I even tried some Men's trunks thinking it will only be until my efforts start to show and I can get past the embarrassment quickly if I just stick with it... well folks... even THOSE didn't go up!

I have never felt so sad and defeated. I sat in that dressing room for a few minutes after putting my own clothes back on and it really sunk it just how unhealthy I am and just how big my body is now...wow, how did this happen?

I'm trying hard not to get depressed about it and I was able to use it today to continue to motivate me and to fight for my life but there is still a little voice in there that's in shock and feeling awful about myself. I know I will not be this weight forever because despite being alone in that dressing room I felt humiliated and I will NEVER allow myself to stay this way now, there's too much to live for!

I guess I'm just starting this topic if anyone else out there has had a moment like mine and is feeling alone. I'm trying to counter any negative thoughts with positive motivating ones. If you've ever had this happen to you, what was your moment? If you are struggling with staying motivated, let's help each other so we can put that UGLY UGLY moment behind us... I know I need support, how about you?

I absolutely have had that moment several times. I was thinking about going to college in person, but then found I had such a hard time even walking around the campus. What a blow! I even got out of breath and felt pain in my hips just walking. It is so embarrassing and humiliating. I know i have to change I have things I want to do with my life and my son and husband need me healthy. I can't believe I let myself get this bad. It's very sad.
  • ad0reclaire
    Options
    My OMG moment was at the movies with a friend, and I was so SQUEEZED into the movie seat! My friend looked over, and said, "you look uncomfortable. You used to fit in these right?"

I wanted to melt into the seats..
  • kaliya89
    kaliya89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've had many of those moments, way more than I would like to admit.

*The moment I realized that I was the fattest person in my immediate family.

*The moment I tried to sit in one of those desk/chair combinations that you see in schools. It was the only seat at work (I was a school photographer), and I went to sit down. I could sort of fit, but just barely, and the wood was digging into my stomach and I had to suck in my stomach a lot just to get back out of it.

*When I watched The Biggest Loser and realized that I was heavier than most of the people I used to think were so "fat." I think that was the most depressing of all of them. It's sad when you see someone who weighs 270 pounds and think "Wow, I wish I were that small."