Introductions and basics

Options
NicoWoodruff
NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
This is a repost of what I said in the public forums. This group will be private so that we can discuss without distractions. This is flexible, people have to eat what works for them, but I thought I would start a group where those of us attempting this either temporarily or permanently can support each other.

A little background: I've been following something between paleo and the zone for awhile and eating pretty clean. I've been exercising and stretching a lot too and losing weight. A big motivation for me is to feel more wellbeing and have stronger knees. I started off at 157 at my heaviest and am now am 134.5.. halfway to my goal weight!

I've been seeing a Shiatsu practitioner for awesome massages that have been very helpful both to my stress level and helpful to the weakness and pain in my knees. I've come to trust this practitioner as he really knows his stuff with Shiatsu and has made me feel tons better. He gave me some dietary recommendations that he feels will further help my achey joints and will also help with how I react to stress. He says a diet that eliminates yeast and mold containing foods is what I need to help my adrenal glands function better and have less aches and pains. He asserts that diets high in yeast and mold foods create achey joints and irritability.

The recommendations are not too far off from the way I was already eating, but I do have to give up some of my favorites (black tea, honey, mushrooms, wine) but he says even if I just do it for 6 weeks and see if it makes a difference, then I can reintroduce some of the banned foods and see if they bring symptoms back.. and if so I'll know which foods are causing me issues.

This is close to what they call the "Candida Control Diet" although his version is a little different as he allows some things that I see elsewhere are banned on Candida Control. He says if I had different issues like glycemic problems he'd suggest a different diet without the whole grains, but here are the recommendations he's made to me personally:

FOODS YOU CAN EAT:

Beverages: Water, sparkling water, veggie juice, coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened hemp milk

Meat: (Organic, local and grass fed are best) fish, duck, chicken, cornish hen, turkey, lamb, rabbit, pheasant, pork, beef, eggs, (all seafood) tuna, fresh fish, clam, lobster, shrimp, crab, oysters

All fresh or frozen veggies including but not limited to: aparagus, beans, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn, greens (collards, mustard, kale etc) cucumbers, eggplant, legumes, lettuce, onions, parsley, peas, radishes, red potatoes, tomatoes (fresh), squash (acorn, summer, winter, zucchini, etc) okra, parsnip, peppers (green, hot, etc), spinach, sweet potatoes, turnips. (The only "veggies" to avoid are sprouts and mushrooms)

Whole Grains: quinoa, amaranth, spelt, wild rice, rye, millet, barley, brown rice, corn, oats, wheat, ezekiel bread, plain corn tortillas, and (sparingly) pasta made from quinoa, brown rice and kamut

Fruit (avoid fruit the first 2 weeks then can add back but only one serving of fruit per day, all fruit eaten by itself without other foods present. Best are granny smith apples, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries (any berries) pineapple, coconut, grapefruit, avocado, mango, banana, nectarine, peach, orange, pear, papaya, apricot

Nuts, seeds and unprocessed oils: almonds = first choice! brazil nuts, cashews, filberts, pecans, pumpkin seeds

Oils (cold pressed) almond, apricot, avocado, coconut, olive, butter, safflower, sesame, grapeseed

Sweeteners (try to avoid totally if you can) Stevia or Xylitol only otherwise.

FOODS TO AVOID:

Fruit Juices: either canned bottled or frozen

Coffee and Tea: regular coffee instant coffee, decaf coffee and black teas

Processed foods: packaged and processed goods containing yeast and refined sugar. Also avoid enriched flour products

Processed and smoked meats: pickled and smoked meats or fish, including sausages, hot dogs, corned beef, pastrami, ham lunch meats and pickled tongue

Melons: watermelon, honeydew melon, and especially cantaloupe

Edible fungi: all types of mushrooms, morels, and truffles.

Cheeses/Dairy: milk (cow or goat), cheese (ALL types including cottage cheese, cream cheese, powdered cheese etc), No buttermilk, sour cream or any other sour milk products

Yeast: brewer's yeast, baker's yeast, vitamins, minerals, unless labeled "yeast free" and "sugar free"

Antibiotics: avoid ALL antibiotics if possible

Nuts: peanuts and pistachios usually contain mold which feeds yeast

Sugar: avoid all sugar containing foods and sweeteners including honey

Alcohol, avoid fermented liquors and liqueurs, brand beverages such as cider and root beer also. Alcohol is pure sugar which feeds yeast.

Malt products: milk drinks, cereals, and candy

Condiments, sauces, and vinegar containing foods: mustard, ketchup, worcestershire, MSG, steak sauce, BBQ sauce, chili, cocktail sauce, soy sauce, pickles, pickled veggies, relishes, green olives, sauerkraut, horseradish, mince meat, tamari. Freshly squeezed lemon juice may be used as a substitute for vinegar or soy sauce.

Dried and candied fruits: ALL dried fruits including apricots, dates, prunes, figs, and pineapple

Leftovers: minute amounts of mold grow quickly in left over food unless properly refrigerated, freezing leftovers is better.

Pasta: Avoid all pasta and macaroni products including those made from wheat and spelt.

A good typical meal would be a palm sized portion of lean meat with a generous portion of raw and cooked veggies, a small portion of whole grains, and a handful of nuts (not peanuts or pistachios) and an herbal tea.

Welcome!!!

Replies

• harley_rose
    Options
    I have been looking at all labels when I purchase things for the mold or yeast... I have started making my own noodles so i can have pasta... mmmmm
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    Cool! I've been finding lately it's not as hard as I thought but while I love pasta I can live without it.. it's the mushrooms I miss, and a glass of wine. I also had been consuming lots of cheese and cooking with Tamari sauce a lot. So I thought I was eating so healthy but I realize now that there are a lot of yeast feeding and mold type things in my diet. I'm feeling pumped to give it a try though anyway. Thanks again for joining!
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I am not quite ready to start my mold/yeast free diet, but excited to get ideas and tips on how to make it all work. I am hoping it will help with my fibromyalsia. Currently I am on Cymbalta to help with the aches, but I am starting to get some yucky side effects. If they get worse I will need to quit the medication. Good luck to you on your journey.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm not too concerned with mold, at least not at this point, but I am pretty positive I have a candida overgrowth. So I've been trying to work toward eliminating the foods that promote yeast growth, and really, I can stay away from anything except SUGAR. It's so annoying. I'll do really well all day and then after dinner I go a little bit crazy until I have some candy, and then it's fine. And I know that's normal and if I just stick it out it will pass, but it is just SO freaking difficult!

I will keep working on it though. It's worth it.
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    Definitely difficult but not impossible. I'm managing to sort of own it right now and enjoying the meal prep and cooking I did this week. Thankfully I have some unstructured free time to myself right now to do this which helps a lot.

And wow since I went to zero sugar the weight has been just falling off of me even though I've been eating very well. Before this I'd been losing maybe a half pound every day or two. Last night I somehow went down 2 whole pounds after a day that I felt I'd eaten a good bit. So it's definitely helping with the weight loss, but will have to wait and see on mood and arthritis.

Thanks everyone who have joined! I'll be continuing to post my daily meal on the other "My meals" thread in hopes it helps give recipe ideas and will help me to refer back to that way too.

Best wishes!
    Nico
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    Oh and btw I had a breakthrough regarding pasta. Spaghetti squash.. which I know you hear about and usually people put a tomato sauce on it which has never appealed to me. But I thought I'd try cooking it myself and started by just baking one up plain , scooping out the strands and adding butter and Italian spices/sea salt. It was really good, almost like buttered linguine and guilt free!

I started using it like a base of buttered pasta underneath chicken or shrimp or something like that. Awesome solution for me.

Oh and an update to the original Basics post: my practitioner also said for me personally since I responded so well to the Yeast/Mold Control dietary approach, he thinks I should be careful of Gluten items too.

So from the original list I've crossed off the following grains: Spelt, Rye, Barley, Oats, Wheat, and Kamut.. as well as canola oil (I've gone to Safflower, Olive or Sesame.) Also no oat milk or rice milk (I like the unsweetened almond milk I've been getting better anyway.)

Everything else on the Gluten avoid list was already mentioned with Yeast/Mold Control.

Hope you're all doing well!
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    6mimi said "Yum.. I like the spaghetti squash too. I see that you have been losing weight. Have you noticed if your dietary changes have made any difference with mood or aches and pains?"

I do feel stronger, not sure if it's the diet or other things I've been doing (exercise/stretching/water therapy) or a combination. I tend to think it's a combination but I'm far less troubled with my knees going up stairs than I was even just a few months ago. Mood wise I think I also feel a little stronger too.. and again this may be a combination of things but I feel the diet definitely has played into it. Having had some off plan items this last week on a trip I could tell my body had to work harder to digest them, could feel my stomach sort of say "what is this??!" lol after not having had dairy or regular type bread in weeks.

Somehow I deleted your post 6mimi, weird, I was just trying to reply to it and it looked like you replying so I deleted it and it deleted the whole thing. Must be something going on with the boards today.
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    Hey everyone. I went ahead and switched the group to being public today in hopes that more members will find us and the group will become more active.

If anyone disruptive comes in though I'll try to catch it quick and give them the boot. :explode:

I'm still doing well on the plan. Last night I made some Indian style yellow/turmuric chicken and paired it with some cooked asparagus and green chard. The asparagus was inexpensive/in season and they were the tiny baby tender ones yum.
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    I invited a couple of members I found in another small yeast free group today in hopes of making our little group more active. If you're reading this, speak up.. say something lol, let me know what yummy yeast/sugar/dairy free meal you've eaten most recently.

Mine is shrimp and mixed veggies.
  • freedski1
    freedski1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this approach. I am currently transitioning in, with one serving of dairy and fruit per day, but I've cut out all the other necessary things... (Day 4 sans coffee! Yay!)
    I am curious to know what supplements (if any) you all are taking. Thanks.
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    Good for you freedski1! Thanks for joining us.

The only supplements I currently take are a probiotic acidophilus capsule 2X a day.

I eat a little bee pollen sometimes which I consider like a vitamin supplement but I also like how it tastes.
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    I was thinking a bit more about the supplement question. A lot of supplements have sugars in them and if they don't say "yeast and sugar free" right on the label it can be another source of a small bit.. which while it's only a little the sugars really add up if I'm not careful.

Before I started the plan, I had been taking a daily liquid multivitamin called vitaplen but I discovered it has a small amount of splenda and cane sugar in it so I quit it for awhile.

Lately in general in life, I've been a bit off plan.. but I'm getting back on track. I've thought that once I'm on track again I may start allowing the vitaplen again as a small source of sugar, because I notice when I take it my fingernails are stronger so it must be doing me some good.

Kind of funny, when I started this plan I meant to stay strict for 6 weeks, it was more like about 5 days I was purely strict and then I wasn't too bad the rest of the 6 weeks but not perfectly on plan or anything. Since then I've kept some good habits but reintroduced some bad ones lol.. so now I'm pulling myself back on the wagon.

I got disillusioned with supplements in the past because not only do they have things in them your'e trying to avoid sometimes, they're um hard to digest.. for me anyway. Even if I drink plenty of water. I've also noticed tablets often don't seem to work where a liquid one does. I've taken a liquid glucosamine/condroiten/msm supplement called Flexicose before that I had hoped would help my joints but it was a minimum effect if any and when I started this plan I had to cut it out because it also had sugars.

Personally I'm trying to get serious again for a bit and cut out *all* sugars for awhile.. I think I'm feeding the yeast with my nightly nightcap of wine which I look forward to but need to eliminate for awhile. So because of this actually I've been considering taking Kudzu as a supplement because it's supposed to decrease cravings for alcohol.

Even the bee pollen I'm going to stay away from for a time. I had mentioned the bee pollen before; I've read some stuff that says it's candida inhibiting but does have trace amounts of honey in it, so a trade off there maybe.

I'm also lately trying to be careful of "nightshades" like eggplant and tomatoes which, while I love them and they'll soon be in season fresh.. they're said by some to aggravate arthritis. I likely will allow myself some while they're fresh and in season but will try not to overdo.. and otherwise am going to try to start avoiding them a bit more the rest of the time when they're not in season especially. With things like this I'm finding it helps a lot to just be more aware that it could be a trigger food so seeing how I feel without and with that way.

I felt so much better off sugars when I did it before, and lately now that I'm having more sugars again here and there I do feel more sluggish and fatigued.. although some of that, cravings included, are tom and all, but I notice I'm up a few pounds on the scale. So that's a big motivation, because off the sugars I feel like I can eat as much on plan food as I want generally and not gain a bit and even lose.

I have done supplements before though. DHEA I think did help my mood some but not as much as sticking to the food plan seems to be though.. I really do think it's working on a lot of levels to give me more strength and well being (along with exercise). The DHEA I have doesn't say "yeast free" on the label either.

I've been trying to just get vitamins through the food which isn't too hard if I stick to fresh unprocessed stuff. Although a friend recently told me that people in my area of the mountains need more Selenium if they're eating a lot of fresh/local stuff as I do.. so I'm thinking I may see if I can find a "yeast and sugar free" labeled one of those.

Would love to hear any one else's ideas, any supplements in particular work for you?
  • JenInAustin
    JenInAustin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm Jen in Austin and figured out about 6 weeks ago that I have candida bad. The two sets rounds of anti-biotics in the Fall 2012 and then Winter 2012 just pushed it over the edge. I had to take probiotics in order to properly digest food and all that fun.

Anyway, I need your wisdom.
    Two weeks ago I pulled together what I thought was all the most common information I could gather about what I should be eating and supplementing with and started the self-healing process. Here's my status:
    - Lost 10 lbs (yay)
    - Feel like an alien has invaded my body
    - Fatigued & easily sleep 10-14 hours when possible
    - Little energy at work
    - Weepy and depressed
    - Leg cramps
    - Night sweats occasionally but I suspect it's when I'm eating too many whole grains and not enough protein and greens.
    - My eyes are "goopy" and sometimes feel "sandy"
    - I don't always get enough calories because I don't have enough of the right foods around. Need help on few-step meals

Thanks in advance, community. I am -after THREE weeks - still waiting for the blood results to tell me I have candidisis. But I had to push for the nurse to submit the request and don't know what doctor would treat me even if it does come back with those results. So weird. Meanwhile am thinking of heading down to the Chinese Medicine School down the road instead.
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    You could also try finding a dietitian or nutritionist to work with.. or an ND = Naturopathic Doctor. Every ND I've ever known has been very knowledgable about Candida.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Mold/Yeast Control Dietary Approaches
    Topic: Introductions and basics
    BUMP TO FOLLOW
  • GrannyGwen1
    Options
    Mold/Yeast Control Dietary Approaches
    Topic: Introductions and basics

THIS IS A REPOST THAT I POSTED ON MY PROFILE TODAY 06/22/13

GOOD EVENING FROM OREGON, ON THIS SUNNY DAY, NO RAIN TODAY, THANK YOU LORD! I HAVE BEEN M.I.A. LATELY , I TOOK A LOT OF BLOOD TEST MY DOCTOR SAID THEY WERE LIKE A 35 YEAR OLDS TEST I GOT AN "A+" EXCEPT AFTER ALL THE TEST I DID THEY FOUND OUT I HAD CANDIDA ( NOT THE GIRLY KIND , BUT THAT COMES ALONG WITH IT.) IM ON MEDS FOR 14 DAYS TO GIVE ME A JUMP START, (I DONT TAKE MEDS BUT THIS WILL HELP TO SHORTEN THE TIME FRAME.) YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL NOT TO DO IT TOO FAST OR YOU CAN GET SICKER FROM THE DIE OFF. IM ON A CANDIDA DIET, WHICH IS VERY RESTRICTIVE, NO SUGAR OF COURSE, NO STARCHES NOT EVEN SWEET POTATOES, CORN , CARROTS OR PEAS, NO GRAINS, NOTHING FROM A PACKAGE, NO FRUIT, NOT EVEN BARRIES, MOSTLY FRESH VEGGIES AND LEAN MEAT, NO DAIRY EXCEPT YOGURT. NO VINAGER EXCEPT APPLE CIDER. IT CAN TAKE WEEKS , MONTHS OR EVEN YEARS TO GET IT TOTALLY UNDER CONTROL BUT AT LEASE I HAVE SOME IDEA WHY I GAINED SO MUCH WEIGHT AND WHY I COULDNT LOSE IT, MY PEPSI HABIT FOR 40YRS DIDNT HELP, NOR MY SURGERY, OR MY FIBRO OR MY S.A.D. EVRN THOUGH I WAS EATING HEALTHY I WAS STILL FEEDING THE CANDIDA AND NOT BEING ABLE TO EXERCISE DIDNT HELP EITHER. NOW I HAVE TO TAKE CONTROL, GET BACK ON TRACT. , ITS RESTRICTIVE BUT DO ABLE AND A LOT LIKE HOW I ALREADY EAT. IM FEELING BETTER ALREADY NOT AS TIRED AND DRAINED, THE DIE OFF GOT ME FOR A WHILE. MINE WAS CAUSED BY THE MEDS I WAS ON WHEN I WAS SICK AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR, AND PROBLEY FROM ALL THE SUGAR FROM THE PEPSI I WAS ADDICTED TO FOR SO MANY YEARS.. FUNNY , WELL NOT SO FUNNY, HOW I COULD EAT ORGANIC, RAW AND CLEAN MOST OF THE TIME AND STILL DRINK MY PEPSI, EVEN KNOWING HOW BAD IT WAS FOR ME , AND IM STILL FIGHTING IT, AND CANDIDA IS A SPOILD LITTLE BRAT WHO WANTS TO BE FED SUGAR AND LETS YOU KNOW IT, I DONT EAT MUCH SUGAR EXCEPT FOR NATURAL IN FRUIT AND VEGGIES ETC. WHICH IS NOW RESTICTED TOO AND IM NOT A SWEET EATER LIKE COOKIES CAKES ETC, SO THIS UNBELIVEABLE SUGAR CRAVING IS DRIVING ME NUTS. IF YOUR HAVING PROBLEMS LOSING YOU NIGHT WANT TO CHECK INTO HAVING CANDIDA ( NOT JUST THE GIRLY KIND) MAY MANY BLESSINGS COME YOUR WAY, XXX GG

GrannyGwen1 BY THE WAY ALL THAT UNBEARABLE ITCHING FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS I HAD GOING ON WAS CAUSED BY THE CANDIDA, I WAS USING CORN STARCH AND WHITE VINAGER TO HELP THE ITCH AND DRY THE SKIN AND ALL THAT DID WAS FEED THE CANDIDA, YOU HAVE TO TREAT BOTH THE INSIDE AND OUTSIDE. BUT THE ITCHING HAS SUBSIDED , AND IVE LOST A FEW #S
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    Thanks for the info GrannyGwen1. I am also getting back on the wagon. It's not easy this path but watching the scale drift back up isn't easy or fun either. My skin has been a mess too which I'm sure is sugar and sulfites I've been ingesting when I drink wine. I can see a major difference in the clarity of my skin when I cut out the wine especially. Major difference with my asthma and ability to shake off colds when I avoid the dairy. So I'm back to being really strict with myself starting today.
  • GrannyGwen1
    Options
    HI NICO,

HAVE YOU SEE THE FOLLOWING TOPIC:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/763937-candida-overgrowth-and-its-effect-on-weight-loss

Topic: Candida overgrowth and its' effect on weight loss

THIS IS ONE OF THE RESPONSES SHE MADE OTHERS ALSO I THINK YOU WOULD ENJOY QUOTE:

Actually in the holistic world it's widely recognized that Candida overgrowth can make weight loss next to impossible.

I've read / heard that the question of Candida overgrowth is not that of calories in vs calories out per se... but more the fact that the body fat is trying to protect you against toxins in this instance -- in particular ethanol that grows rapidly when yeast has a food source (sugar). Too much ethanol production can cause liver detox function overloading. Acetaldehyde (related to formaldehyde) is another by-product of Candida causes a variety of malfunctions in the body.

Also -- Candida can produce a type of false estrogen and thyroid hormone, which leads to hormone imbalance and receptor malfunction. And we all know that hormones will definitely affect your weight loss no matter what simple math we apply to calories in calories out.

Overview of Candida and fat loss:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpuQsuruz8

Toxins and Fat Loss:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/detox-tips_b_1289488.html
    (or read jillian michaels master your metabolism)

I HAVEN'T LOOKED INTO THESE SITES YET BUT WILL FOLLOW UP ON THEM THIS WEEKEND. THIS WAS MY RESPONSE BUT KEEP BLINDERS ON WITH ALL THE NEGATIVE RESPONSES KNOW IT ALL'S WHO REALLY DON'T KNOW IT ALL.
    THIS WAS MY RESPONSE:

THANK YOU FOR A RESEARCHED AND EDUCATED ANSWERS, ITS REFRESHING TO SEE.

I HAVE A SEVERE CASE OF CANDIDA AND IT CAN BE A PAINFUL AND FRUSTRATING CONDITION. AND IT CAN DEFIANTLY EFFECT YOUR WEIGHT AND YOUR OVERALL HEALTH. ITS ALWAYS THERE LINGERING IN THE BACK GROUND, WAITING TO ATTACK. I WAS ATTACKED AFTER A SERIES OF ANTIBIOTICS THIS PAST WINTER AND HAVE BEEN FIGHTING IT FOR YEAR.

YOU HAVE TO BE DILIGENT AND VERY CAREFUL HOW YOU APPROACH AND KILL OFF THE CANDIDA WITH MEDICATION, HOLISTIC REMEDIES, HYGIENE, YOUR ACIDOSIS PH AND DIET, AS IT CAN MAKE YOU VERY SICK. ( I TRIED TO DO IT TOO FAST) CANDIDA CAN ALSO EFFECT YOUR SKIN CAUSING LONG TERM SEVERE ITCHING (SIMILAR TO POISON OAK) AND LESIONS THAT ARE SLOW HEALING. THAT WAS HOW I FOUND OUT I HAD CANDIDA ABOUT 3 MONTHS AFTER I TOOK THE MEDS AND SEVERAL DOCTORS LATER, FROM DERMATOLOGIST TO GI DOCTORS. CANDIDA ISN'T EASY TO GET RID OF OR TO CONTROL. AND YES I NOW SEE A TEAM OF DOCTORS AT OHSU WHO ARE VERY MUCH UP TO DATE ON RESEARCH, TREATMENT AND THE EFFECTS THAT CANDIDA HAS ON WEIGHT. AND I KNOW FIRST HAND THAT WHEN IM HAVING FLARE-UPS THAT MY WEIGHT LOST STALLS OR I EVEN GAIN BACK SOME WEIGH, AND YES SOME OF IT HAS DO TO THE HORRIBLE AND SOMETIMES UNCONTROLLABLE CRAVINGS FOR SUGAR AND STARCHES, ALL IT TAKES IS A LITTLE BIT TO GET IT FLARED UP LIKE A VENGEANCE. THAT CANDIDA NEEDS TO SURVIVE AND FEEDS OFF. ITS BEEN A VERY SLOW PROCESS TO GET IT UNDER CONTROL. AND BECAUSE IM NOT AS DILIGENT WITH MY DIET AS I SHOULD BE , IM HAVING A FLARE-UP NOW AS WE SPEAK.

MAY THE GOOD LORD KEEP YOU SAFE FROM CANDIDA, flowerforyou

HUGS, GG
  • GrannyGwen1
    Options
    HERES ANOTHER ANSWER I THOUGHT WAS WORTH SHARING FROM

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/763937-candida-overgrowth-and-its-effect-on-weight-loss

HUGS GG

CrimsonWhite Selector
    Joined Dec 2010
    October 04, 2013 9:07 am
    Hi. I've got no dog in this fight-never heard of invasive (systemic) Candida before, don't know if this is what is causing the OP's problem or if she just hasn't quite got her TDEE/exercise/measuring right. But that doesn't mean it's something she shouldn't explore.

And geeezzz people-just because you haven't heard of something doesn't mean it isn't true. To the poster that says systemic Candida is a load of bull, how about you do like I do and search the topic. I did an entrez pubmed search (use it a lot for work) and was able to come up with several review articles and papers about it. Typically it affects the immunocompromised, or elderly, but there seem to be articles showing a genetic component that may make people more sensitive to it.

Here is a "cut and paste from one article":
    In contrast to mucosal candidiasis which is highly prevalent but does not cause high mortality, systemic infections are life threatening, with mortality rates reaching up to 26–60% (Das et al, 2011). When the organisms enter the blood stream they can invade deep tissues and organs such as brain, heart and kidneys. Considering the number of patients diagnosed each year, Candida has emerged in the recent decades as one of the most important pathogens in sepsis, causing significant morbidity and mortality. Moreover, mortality due to these severe infections has not been significantly changed in the last decade, despite the introduction of potent antifungals such as azoles and echinocandins (Fortún et al, 2012)." EMBO Mol Med. 2013 June; 5(6): 805–813.

So yah, looks like it exists and can be quite dangerous and not simple to cure. May not be what the OP has given how bad it sounds.....

Don't know about its affects on diet and weight loss. While I would agree with one poster that we are machines and energy in and out are important, I would also add that not all machines are equally efficient. You and I could purchase the same exact car, drive the same exact roadways and distances using the same exact gas but not get the same exact milage. I might be a speed demon, driving too fast, slamming on my brakes at a light instead of easing up to it, squealing tires as I take off and waiting way too long to get my regular tuneups. You may drive sedately, observing the speed limit, take great care of your car, etc. Do you really thing we're gonna get the same gas mileage out of those cars? I doubt it, what we have done has affected the efficiency of the vehicles.

We humans are way more complicated than that-we have genetics, disease, infections, and they can all effect the efficiency of our machine. I have insulin resistance and that affects how I process carbs or how my body uses and/or stores them. I do better when I decrease processed carbs from my diet. Some people are not affected at all by eating processed carbs.

So we are all more complicated than just calories in, calories out. Sure we have to be brutally honest with ourselves and not cheat ourselves and measure, weight, exercise, test what works sometimes to find out TDEE, what to eat, etc. So I don't want to give anyone a way to cop out if they're not doing all those things first. But that doesn't mean that there aren't other things that may be affecting us.

Not sure how the OP came up with this as a possible suspect for her, but I'm sure she can discuss it with her doctor if she really wants to find out if it's a problem.

Good luck!

Yikes, sorry it's so long!
    Edited by CrimsonWhite On October 04, 2013 9:10 am