Back Again

Options
Hi! I am checking back in and need a little encouragement as I am starting to get frustrated/disappointed.
I am in stage 2 of NROLFW and I have never been happier with my exercise routine/habit. I feel stronger, I sleep better,I have more energy, and a better mood. That's the good thing here. The bad is I have gained 2 lbs and I haven't lost any inches.
Right now I am using the Scooby Calculator, under some advice from a previous post I have my calculator set to a 15% loss and 3-5 hours of exercise. I honestly think that I should have it set to 1-3 because I have a sedentary job and my workouts are about 45minutes to an hour and I go 3 times per week.
My stats are:
Female
186lbs
5"3'
I almost always eat all my calories and hit all my macros. I just want to make sure I'm eating the right amount of calories before I gain too much weight. I thought about reducing my calories from 2100 to 2000 or 1900 to see if I lost inches instead of gaining pounds.

Replies

• Gapwedge01
    Options
    Hi! I am checking back in and need a little encouragement as I am starting to get frustrated/disappointed.
    I am in stage 2 of NROLFW and I have never been happier with my exercise routine/habit. I feel stronger, I sleep better,I have more energy, and a better mood. That's the good thing here. The bad is I have gained 2 lbs and I haven't lost any inches.
    Right now I am using the Scooby Calculator, under some advice from a previous post I have my calculator set to a 15% loss and 3-5 hours of exercise. I honestly think that I should have it set to 1-3 because I have a sedentary job and my workouts are about 45minutes to an hour and I go 3 times per week.
    My stats are:
    Female
    186lbs
    5"3'
    I almost always eat all my calories and hit all my macros. I just want to make sure I'm eating the right amount of calories before I gain too much weight. I thought about reducing my calories from 2100 to 2000 or 1900 to see if I lost inches instead of gaining pounds.

Recalc your TDEE for lightly active. And take your cut from that.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Or consider leaving your calculations the way it is and consider adding a couple 20min HIIT sessions on your off weight lifting days if possible. High Intensity Interval Training is a FAT BLASTER, but preserves precious muscles.

There are lots of Youtube vids with short routines. My fav is Kathy Prohohoff...great intense and SHORT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQp8q1aDKA4&feature=share&list=PLNtbo2ky1UlCJD6XT0qGNVCZzmpGfr7t5
  • DestineeTrue
    DestineeTrue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think that could work out for me. I really want to succeed this time and I feel like I"m really on the right path and off to a great start. I know I'm getting stronger, I did a 2 month reset last year. I'm committed and I want it to work. I'll check out the video, thank you for the tip!
  • DestineeTrue
    Options
    I just finished stage 2 of the NROLFW and I have gained 2 lbs, I've lost 1 inch on my waist but gained 2 on my hips. I have not lost any on my legs and arms. I'm getting frustrated because I really want this routine to work for me. I was eating 2100 calories then dropped down to 1900. I almost always hit my targets for protein, fat, and carbs. I hardly ever go over on my calories. I just finished my week off after stage 2 and I'm about to start stage 3 but I'm not as excited as I was in the beginning. I feel like it's not going to work and I hate that feeling.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You are doing real lifting, let that be the focus, skip the HIIT, which is the solution to those that only want to do cardio.
    And then use Lightly Active rounded up.

HIIT done the day after lifting with the same muscles just impairs the repair process, and since it is exactly like lifting if done correctly, sets up your next lifting day using the same muscles for a failure of the wrong kind, which means your lifting wasn't as good as it could have been.

Also, how many sites are you measuring?

Can't spot reduce, can't spot measure fat loss.

Did you base BMR on Mifflin or Katch using BF% method? That's the start of the math.
  • DestineeTrue
    Options
    I actually didn't go to the HIIT, I am only doing the NROLFW book. I wanted to but couldn't find the time. I'm glad I didn't know :) I was measuring the hips, waist, legs, arms to see if there were any changes. What's odd is I'm doing my progress pictures and I SEE a difference but the measuring and the scale don't report one. My clothes fit about the same. I guess I will keep going on the program.
    I'm not sure what Miffin or Katch is, I was using the scooby calculator to get my numbers.
  • heybales
    Options
    I actually didn't go to the HIIT, I am only doing the NROLFW book. I wanted to but couldn't find the time. I'm glad I didn't know :) I was measuring the hips, waist, legs, arms to see if there were any changes. What's odd is I'm doing my progress pictures and I SEE a difference but the measuring and the scale don't report one. My clothes fit about the same. I guess I will keep going on the program.
    I'm not sure what Miffin or Katch is, I was using the scooby calculator to get my numbers.

Scooby has a link to Most Accurate, it just allows you to select Katch BMR method, where you supply bodyfat %, or Mifflin, which I think the simple calc uses anyway.

Did you catch reference to what activity level?
  • DestineeTrue
    Options
    I started with the moderate for stage 1 eating 2100 calories but I didn't notice any difference. During stage 2 I changed it to lightly and ate 1900 calories, still no change. I feel better but there is no change in weight or measurements, well except those I mentioned before.
  • heybales
    Options
    I started with the moderate for stage 1 eating 2100 calories but I didn't notice any difference. During stage 2 I changed it to lightly and ate 1900 calories, still no change. I feel better but there is no change in weight or measurements, well except those I mentioned before.

If indeed your only exercise and activity that amounts to anything is:
    160 min avg lifting weekly. (sets, reps, and rests, no cardio done to fill the rest time and keep HR up.)
    Sedentary desk job.

Then use Katch BMR x 1.35 as TDEE to take deficit from.

If you don't have good bodyfat% estimate, you need one. Then you can get Katch BMR.
    http://www.gymgoal.com/dtools.html

Eat daily, if you add some big cardio workout eat back those calories minus 15%.

If you miss a lifting workout, skip 100 calories that day, if you make it up (don't lift day to day of course), add the 100 back.

Or track your progress and have those calcs in one place, and this is where I got the TDEE estimate from.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones