Vinegar...yay or nay?

Options
AuntieKT
AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
I have committed to starting a Whole 30 tomorrow and I am trying to get everything ready and everything that I need so I have enough good choices in the house to make this as easy as possible. Truth be told, I have been eating a lot of salads with dressing that, while not terrible doesn't really fit in with paleo/whole 30 guidelines. I tried to look up paleo salad dressings online, but every one was some form of a vinaigrette. I thought we weren't supposed to have vinegar? What do you guys think about this and what do you use for dressings on your salads that still fit into strict paleo/Whole 30 rules? I don't know if I'll be able to make it if I can't have my salads!

Replies

• mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I thought all vinegar was fine except for malt vinegar. I think it has gluten or something. I use just vinegar on my salads for lunch in place of dressings.
  • szulbam
    szulbam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just use lemon juice and olive oil on my salads. Are you on Pinterest? I saw some paleo salad dressing pins on there yesterday, they might be worth checking out.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that some vinegars like balsamic, and apple cider, etc. are okay. I see it frequently in paleo recipes. I can understand why malt vinegar wouldn't be.

Balsamic is made from grapes, apple cider is made from apples, but malt is made from barley. So, I guess it depends on the kind of vinegar.

I normally use balsamic.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    there are different dressings you can make. Here's one for paleo avocado dressing: http://mrsjuicebox.blogspot.com/2012/01/paleo-creamy-avocado-dressing-yum.html

Vinegar is ok except for malt vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar/aged balsamic etc.
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's everyone. I am totally going to try that avocado dressing. I am so love balsamic vinegar. I was just confused because I. "It Starts With Food" it says both that balsamic is ok and that it had sulfite a which are forbidden... I will take a good look at my balsamic and make sure it doesn't have anything bad in it. Anybody else have paleo salad dressings?
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    good to know , I just asked about Balsamic on another thread.. glad to have the answer :-)
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For people who are limiting their mold exposure (yeast overgrowth sufferers, etc), all vinegar except unfiltered ACV is off limits. This is because mold is involved in the process of making the vinegar. Balsamic is also high in sugar, so if you're watching your sugar there might be better choices out there for you.

I do eat balsamic, it's what I put on my salads :)
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Vinegar packs a lot of sugars.. I've learned to replace it with fresh lemon juice which tastes just fine in most recipes and even tastes better in a few recipes to me.

I had to learn to like vinegar at one time, then I got seriously into balsamic vinegar.. the sweetest kind of course! Now I've learned not to have vinegar so much at all.

One tip is get a bag of organic lemons, juice them all.. then pour the juice into ice trays and freeze it. That way when you need to thaw some for use you just take out a few lemon cubes and you have exactly what you need.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love my unfiltered apple cider vinegar! All kinds of good health benefits. I use its in salad dressing and to make mayo.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    White vinegar is made from corn, so generally speaking, I would assume this product to be "non-paleo". Apple cider vinegar is made from apples. Apples are paleo. Again, get filtered to avoid mold if you're sensitive.

For dressing, I use an herb infused olive oil. You can learn how to infuse your olive oils online. The one I use is garlic and basil. So yummy! Otherwise, lemon juice adds a nice flavor as well. Could also squeeze an orange over your salad. Or homemade Paleo mayo with spices to imitate ranch dressing - but it'll be thicker since Whole30 rules omit dairy.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-primal-8-foods-scrutinized/#axzz2O3MZh17r

I would say so, yes.
    " Is vinegar Primal? Well, I have a post on “how to make red wine vinegar,” so it can’t be that bad, but let’s dig into it all the same. After all, you guys like details.

The primary component of vinegar is acetic acid, a product of fermentation by acetic acid-making bacteria. Acetic acid is a corrosive agent that can cause permanent damage to eyes, skin, and (I’d imagine) various orifices. It’s even flammable. Wow. Sounds awful, right?

Not so fast. Table vinegar – the kind you put on salads – is mostly water, with around 4-8% acetic acid (which is actually a short-chain fatty acid, a la butyric acid). The dangerous corrosive agent, then, is highly diluted before it reaches your mouth. I wouldn’t recommend guzzling shots of vinegar (except on a dare, perhaps), but it’s not a problem in the context of normal consumption. Besides, there are actual health benefits to using acetic acid dilute, I mean vinegar:

In type 2 diabetics and people with insulin resistance, vinegar improves insulin sensitivity when taken with a high-carb meal.

Eating potatoes with a little bit of vinegar reduces the postprandial blood sugar and insulin response.

Both 15 and 30 mL (one or two tablespoons) of daily vinegar reduced body weight, waist circumference, triglycerides, and other symptoms of metabolic syndrome in obese Japanese subjects, absent any other interventions.

Vinegar (albeit vinegar with higher levels of acetic acid) can act as an organic herbicide.

As for distilled versus fermented vinegar (like cider vinegar), there may well be qualitative differences, but that’ll have to wait for a future post.

Verdict: Primal. Acetic bacteria have been around longer than we have.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-primal-8-foods-scrutinized/#ixzz2O3N3IvHK"
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I discovered that my "apple cider vinegar" is actually "apple cider flavored" distilled white vinegar... Time to do a search for real apple cider vinegar.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Try the Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar with the "mother". I just use this on my salad with a squeeze of lemon. Delish!