Protein Powder

Options
Hi all,

Any suggestions for protein powder/whey protein? Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex has good reviews on Amazon, but I wanted some more opinions.

Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Glutamine Peptides, L-Leucine, Egg Albumen, Whey Peptides, L-isoLeucine, L-vaLine), Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Aminogen, Vitamin/Mineral Blend (Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, D-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacinamide, D-calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Chromium Polynicotinate, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Cyanocobalamin), Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Lactase. the Advanced Pro Complex Protein Blend: Pro Complex is Made of An Exclusive Blend of Ion-exchange Whey Protein Isolate, Cross Flow Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Egg Albumen, Glutamine Peptides, Whey Peptides, L-Leucine, L-isoLeucine, L-vaLine.

Nutrition Information per serving:
Calories: 270
Carbs: 5g
Protein: 60g

Thoughts?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Trutein is incredible, IMO.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    George's Restore

Ingredients: Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Albumen, Soy Lecithin

Cal 70
    Carb 1g
    Protein 16g

Add your own sweeteners/flavoring
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use Vital Whey, Natural flavor as it has no soy, or sweeteners. From grass-fed cows. It has a neutral taste. A bit spendy, but I'm happy with it.

I also use Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein Hi-Fiber, as I like the extra fiber and Potassium in it.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options

^Yep. Muscle Pharm Combat Powder is pretty good too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^seconded.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

^^seconded.

Third but I like ON protein powder as well......
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Check out Epiq Isopure. It's new at gnc. Low carb, low sugar, 110 cals & only 60 Sodium ! Loving that low sodium ! Tastes good & has digestive enzymes, it's doesn't make my stomach make weird growling noises. Lol. Also for unflavored protein for pancakes,etc I like natures best Isopure unflavored
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Iso-100 is my fave.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Haven't found anything that matches it for taste, mixability or macro breakdown. It's awesome.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Haven't found anything that matches it for taste, mixability or macro breakdown. It's awesome.

Agreed.

On that note, I ordered 20lbs today from Trutein.com

They have their shamrock shake flavor that was this weekend only, so I grabbed 10lbs of it. Also trying pumpkin (I blame Sara) and getting another 5lb PB.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Agreed.

They have their shamrock shake flavor that was this weekend only, so I grabbed 10lbs of it. Also trying pumpkin (I blame Sara) and getting another 5lb PB.

:bigsmile:
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I buy Unjury. www.unjury.com I think it's amazyingly good for the calories and protein value. It does not taste like a protein shake at all.. I have the strawberry, vanilla and chocolate. I've tried the unflavored one as well. I suggest getting sample packets. You won't believe how good it is!

For premixed, I like EAS Myoplex shakes. 300 cals, 42g of protein. You can drink 1/2 at a time if you want. Sam's club has them reasonably priced. The 2nd ingredient is milk protein, which I think is the best protein to get.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Best for best taste, cost, low carb, mixing, & protein, I like Walker's Diet (Also has lots of other good vitamins, etc.) and I love Metrx Ultramyosyn Whey Peanut butter cup
  • Spokez70
    Options

Agreed.

Haha so glad I came back to this thread- I had no idea they had the Shamrock Shake flavor available. Not sure if it will disappear right at midnight or not but I was just able to order some just under the wire if so. :drinker:
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Stupid question (or maybe not)...Does anyone know if ON or Trutein (if I can get hold of some in the UK) cause bloating, wind and the runs? I have this problem with most other whey protein powders. Not sure if it is the whey itself, or the colours and other additives...
  • Spokez70
    Options
    Stupid question (or maybe not)...Does anyone know if ON or Trutein (if I can get hold of some in the UK) cause bloating, wind and the runs? I have this problem with most other whey protein powders. Not sure if it is the whey itself, or the colours and other additives...

Not sure since none of them really bother me but Trutein is only 40% whey (40% is casein and 20% is egg white) so maybe it will agree with you better?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Xtreme Formulations is my go-to brand
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Are you lactose intolerant? Generally there will be a small amount of lactose in these powders if they are made from milk (casein or whey). If you are lactose intolerant, look into non-dairy powders or find a good whey isolate that has little/no lactose in it. I think Truscience's iso-ology has like .5g of sugar per serving (or less) for example. Pretty minimal.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I guess it is just about trying them and seeing. I doubt I am lactose intolerant as I do have milk, not large quantities, but some days will mix a protein powder with up to 500 ml whole milk and I do eat greek yoghurt and cottage cheese as staples. It just seems when I do add in the protein shake I get the trouble, so have presumed that this is the problem.
This discussion has been closed.