Metformin and having lows

Options
Aussielooser
Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
Hi everyone,
I think this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it on the board.
I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced lows on metformin?.. I was on 2x 1000 mg metformin after dinner at night but have been cut back as I was having to many lows. I am now on 1x 500 mg and I am still having lows.. My reading this morning was 3.9 mmol- I have a feeling that in the next month or so I wont be needing it till such times as my diabetes progresses.

I would be interested if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Similar story here. I was on 500 mg twice a day (a.m. and p.m.). After losing weight my doctor said to try skipping the p.m. meds. I still took 500 mg in the a.m. and around 11 or so I'd go low so he approved me taking half in a.m. and p.m. (250 mg each). So far that seems to keep me from lows.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced lows on metformin?.. I was on 2x 1000 mg metformin after dinner at night but have been cut back as I was having to many lows. I am now on 1x 500 mg and I am still having lows.. My reading this morning was 3.9 mmol- I have a feeling that in the next month or so I wont be needing it till such times as my diabetes progresses.

Thanks

Hi,

Converting your 3.9mmol to US values would indicate a reading of 70mg/dL. How long has it been since you've cut back to 500mg?
    I'm told it can possibly take 2-3 weeks for our bodies to realize the change in dosage, be it either up or down, though diabetes is an
    individual thing.

I would want to discuss this with my physician, should this pattern continue, as it would be a concern to me.

If you've recently increased your exercise activity, and are losing weight, this too could have a positive effect, reducing your insulin resistance, allowing your bodies natural production of insulin to cover rises in glucose levels.

I'm on Met 1,000mg in the morning and the same dose at bedtime, and haven't had your experience yet, however I (have) been able
    to reduce mealtime and basal dosages through regular exercise and weight loss.

Hopefully someone else will come along and offer you their thoughts and further insight.

Good luck!

eta; trying to figure out why my sentences aren't posting the way I intended them.
  • Aussielooser
    Options
    Thanks retiree2006 I will keep that in mind :)

bdubya55 I have lost almost 40KG'S and walking lot's about 5KM's a day so I have a feeling you might be right... It's not happening often but I am due back at my doctors next month and have a feeling he will take me off my medication. We will see how it goes over the next month. Thanks Heaps.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I'm on 2x1000mg, and get occasional lows. However, I already start to feel low and shakey at around 4.5.
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

I would think , once you get it all worked out, that this is a good thing as your body doesn't seem to be needing as much meds. Definetly talk to your doctor!
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Is that the only medication you are taking? According to my doctor metformin shouldn't cause lows... it may be something else that is causing it. Not to rule it out but look at everything else as well.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been on Metformin (again) for about 2 1/2 weeks now and my numbers have been dipping to the lowest I've ever seen. I've been dropping into the 80's which is low for me where as before I was averaging around 98-118. Last night I was light headed, fatigued, my vision was blurry and I was extremely tired. However that could have been something I ate and not the Metformin.

However if it continues to drop lower, I may be wondering the same as you. (it has been dropping lower slowly every day).
  • Valetta09
    Valetta09 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • Aussielooser
    Options
    I forgot to add I was put on Metformin in June of 2012 but only 500 MG 1 month later the doctor asked me to go up to 1000MG- Then at the end of January this year I was having a few lows but northing I was worried about and asked did he think maybe if I should go down to 1 again and he agreed with me. I am back to the doc at the end of April to have a review I have almost lost 40KG;S as I said Since June of last year and I am walking up to twice a day now that it is getting cooler here in Australia. I started my walking regime just after Christmas and all is going well..

I will let you know what happens when I head back to my doctor.

I will be writing it on my blog
    http://shellanddiabetes.wordpress.com/

Again thanks for your replies. :flowerforyou:
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You have lost a lot of weight, should be ready to be off meds by now? :)
  • Aussielooser
    Options
    Hi jsiricos, That's why I am having the review next month to see if I have gone OK on 1- so keep everything crossed that this will happen...
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I was put on Metformin, 1000mg twice a day. It is rare that a person on Met experiences lows (below 70), but it does happen in some who have become less insulin resistant with weight loss, let alone exercise. My BGs dipped into the 40s a couple of times and began to stay in the 60s more often than not at one point, so the doctor took me off of the Metformin. So far so good! I would say that for you congratulations are in order!
  • Aussielooser
    Options
    I really hope so Gentyl :-)