FIrst mini-triathlon April 14, 2013 Help :)

Options
VeeBethTris
VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
Hi. I am a 50 year old female in Virginia very new to fitness but 90 pounds down, ran my first 5k last weekend, been running all of 10 weeks, swimming all my life, but only biking in the gym since January. This is an indoor 300m swim, 25k bike, and 5k run. I feel confident I can do it, maybe not well, but I can finish it. This is a special triathlon as it is called The Angels Race. It is on the web, www.angelsrace.com It was foundation started by parents of a child who died here in Lynchburg, Va in a school bus crash, as a memorial and a scholarship fund. My daughter knew this 13 year old well and I always said 'someday' I would do this race. This year is 'someday'.

SO that now I have signed up I have gleaned information from different sites, read forum posts on MFP, and in this group. I think I have a better understanding but still have many questions. Most important is the triathlon. I don't foresee myself doing triathlons on a regular basis but I do want to do this one to the best of my ability so is a suit a good investment or just shorts? bathing suit?

I welcome any and all tips, ideas, suggestions, questions, friend requests, etc. Please forgive any naivety on my part and I thank you in advance for your help.

Replies

• hellonursejamie
    hellonursejamie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If this is strictly indoor all I would do would wear a one piece bathing suit in the swim and have bike shorts waiting for you at the transition. If you are not looking to get into the sport for outdoor there would be no reason for you to spend a lot of money on stuff you might use once or twice. I am pretty heavy into triathlons so since I do them so often I have several one piece tri suites that work well for me but they are pricey. Make sure that you get a pair of shorts that won't chafe you while you are wet. that is why I recommend bike shorts or mainly tri shorts. The shammy gives you a little padding and they dry out quick. By the time you get to the run just wear what you are wearing till you are finished. The problem with us triathletes is that we get bitten by the tri bug so all the extra bells and whistles become the added expense. i.e. bike, cyclocomputers, wetsuits etc. All you really need is swimsuit goggles towel cap, bike shorts, tennis shoes..oh and don't forget a snack to eat on the bike..no one likes to take in nutrition on the run. It is better digested on the bike. .I call it my rolling buffet. Hope that helps.
  • VeeBethTris
    Options
    thanks for the input :) The swim is the only thing indoors. Biking/running outside. Still the same advice?
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all your fitness success! You don't need a lot of specialized (and expensive gear) to successfully finish a Sprint triathlon. It sounds like the bike leg for you may be the most challenging. If you're pretty new to riding I'm guessing you'll be riding at a 10 -15 mph pace. At 10 mph it will take 90 minutes to complete the bike leg; at 15mph you'll be done in an hour. You can do that in regular (non-bike) shorts but I would definitely take a training ride with the outfit you intend on wearing (e.g. swim suit underneath regular shorts) to see how that feels. It could feel like a long time in the saddle, especially if you are closer to the 10mph speed so your derriere may be worth the investment of something that makes that hour+ more palatable. Regardless you should be able to slip whatever shorts you are wearing over your swim suit during transition. If you don't have cleated shoes then just wear your running shoes on the bike. You can get a pair of cages for your pedals for a few bucks that will help keep your feet on the pedals which will help you spin freely.

The other thing I would recommend is to practice your bike to run transition to get your legs used to going from riding a bike to running. That's probably the most difficult transition as often your legs will feel rather stiff and clunky and might even cramp when you start to run. If you do some bike to run training it will get your legs used to it but even if you do experience some cramping just walk for a bit when you start the run leg and it will clear up.

Finally, don't sweat it, just enjoy the experience and be proud of your accomplishment!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    First I just want to put this out there: Be prepared. There's a really good chance once you've done your first you'll want to keep on doing them, and doing them, and doing them again. Triathlons, for whatever reason, are highly addictive.

But let's assume you're able to fight the cravings and just do this one:
    1) Safety first. Take your bike to a local bike shop and let them inspect it for safety. Make sure you have good quality running shoes, a bike helmet, and I HIGHLY recommend buying a RoadID. Nothing is more important than YOUR safety. Don't dismiss any efforts to make your training and racing just that much more safe.

2) Fun comes next. Triathlons are such amazing events. (But then again, I'm addicted.) Remember during your training, and especially on race day, to have fun. Enjoy your ride. Crush that run. Rip through that swim. And savor every action packed moment of it. Nothing makes for a better race day than a fun race day. Find fun places to train. A park with lots of wildlife and scenery makes a great place to run or bike. A local park where friends hang out. A peaceful stretch of rarely driven road. A trail along a lake. Just wherever you find fun, train there.

3) Gear: I wear triathlon shorts on race day, plus a shirt that I put on after the swim. You don't need these. I know many women race in their swimsuits. But I can't advise on this as I have no experience whatsoever. I do love my tri shorts though, as I also run races in them all the time. Bike helmet and good shoes (see #1), goggles for the swim. All essential gear. And of course a trusty bike.

4) Training: Make sure you can bike the entire distance before race day comes along. If you train on your trusty bike but never train up to 25K, there's a chance on race day that you wear out early and struggle on the run. This is NOT fun, and goes against #2. Make sure in your training that 25K on the bike may be tough, but doable. The same with the run distance and the swim distance. Triathlon isn't like say, half marathoning, where if you can train up to 10 miles, you can race 13.1. In triathlon, you want to be able to do ALL the distances, with minimum struggle.

Also, there's a type of triathlon specific workout called the brick workout. That's when you bicycle for a while (say, 30 minutes) then get off your bike and immediately run for a while (say, 30 minutes). A problem in triathlon is going from cycling to running. It totally messes with your body - in particular, your legs. So doing a workout to get used to this wacky phenomenon is quite handy dandy. If you throw some bricks into your workout schedule, you'll be glad you did.

I don't know what to add, except I'm really excited for you! Triathlons are so much fun. I wish you happy training and joyous racing. And I think it's really cool that you're doing this for a cause. Very admirable, indeed.

I hope this helps.
    TriJoe.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend a ton of money on fancy gear at this point unless you want to... do a couple of races and see what you think, then go from there.

For this race, I'd focus on keeping yourself comfortable, and there are a lot of ways to accomplish that. Are you accustomed to riding in bike shorts? What do you generally run in?

I'd wear a regular baiting suit for the swim, throw on a pair of bike shorts for the ride, then do whatever is most comfortable for the run (keep the bike shorts on if you're comfortable, change them for a pair of run shorts, or just ditch the shorts all together). The extra 30 seconds or whatever it'll take you to change shorts is insignificant at this point, so do what's going to make you comfortable and make the race the most fun.

Since you asked specifically about a suit... Are you asking about tri suits or wet suits?

I will say that tri suits, IME, make a huge difference in comfort, but more so on longer races. So it's really up to you if you want to spend the money. Can it hurt to have one? Absolutely not. Is it necessary, or are you going to significantly faster times with one? Absolutely not.

Wetsuits on the other hand are MUCH more beneficial (especially to new swimmers and/or in rough water conditions) because of the added buoyancy they provide. As before... can it hurt to have one? Nope. Will it suddenly make you an elite level racer? Nope.
  • VeeBethTris
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I have read them all at least twice and will continue to come back to reread so all the tips, pointers, suggestions hit home, become ingrained in my brain. I have this is a spring triathlon, I have learned that they might be addictive, I have done the brick workouts, I will be doing practice runs on the bike through the route as the Y has group runs every Sunday, I still haven't decided on a tri suit, vs a wetsuit, vs bike shorts. I am doing a Y Tri challenge at the Y that does the 3 events in 10 minute intervals to help learn about the transitions. I will try very hard not to lose sight of having fun in this moment, I will remember the 'rolling' buffet idea, My bike is getting checked out this week at the shop, and will always keep safety first in my mind. I am sure I missed some pointers in my synopsis but will have all the bugs worked out (I hope) in the next 4 weeks.

Again, I really appreciate the time everyone took. Thank you :)

Veronica
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I have read them all at least twice and will continue to come back to reread so all the tips, pointers, suggestions hit home, become ingrained in my brain. I have this is a spring triathlon, I have learned that they might be addictive, I have done the brick workouts, I will be doing practice runs on the bike through the route as the Y has group runs every Sunday, I still haven't decided on a tri suit, vs a wetsuit, vs bike shorts. I am doing a Y Tri challenge at the Y that does the 3 events in 10 minute intervals to help learn about the transitions. I will try very hard not to lose sight of having fun in this moment, I will remember the 'rolling' buffet idea, My bike is getting checked out this week at the shop, and will always keep safety first in my mind. I am sure I missed some pointers in my synopsis but will have all the bugs worked out (I hope) in the next 4 weeks.

Again, I really appreciate the time everyone took. Thank you :)

Veronica

FWIW...

Wetsuit:
    Used only during the swim, primary benefits are warmth/insulation from cold water and buoyancy. Your swim is indoors, so warmth shouldn't be a problem. Nor should rough water, and since you've been swimming all your life it doesn't sound like you'll need the extra buoyancy. IMO, a wetsuit is unnecessary at this point.

Bike Shorts:
    Usually (though not always) tight fitting shorts, with padding for comfort. Comfort is the only real benefit, but it can be a huge benefit. Really a matter of personal preference. No reason you can't run in them as well if you wanted, but no benefit to them during the run.

Trisuit:
    Worn throughout the race. No real benefit to the swim other than comfort. Will have light padding (similar to bike shorts, but less of it), so it will help with comfort. No real benefit during the run (though the lighter padding of the tri suit is generally more comfortable/less bulky than the heavier padding of bike shorts when running). 1 piece suit keeps everything in place.. nothing creeps up or bunches or anything like that.

On a side note, some people will say that tight fitting clothes (like bike shorts and tri suits) are more aerodynamic than loose fitting clothes, and thus will make you faster on the bike. There is certainly truth to this, but IMO, the advantage is significant enough to warrant buying fancy gear for your first sprint race.

I will say, however, that tight fitting clothes can often result in less rubbing/chafing/irritation, which can be a huge benefit depending on the clothes you would otherwise be wearing.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Quit Calling it a "mini-triathlon"
    *train hard
    *have fun
  • jjones9298
    Options
    I am a newbie too to tris with my first indoor on Sunday! My biggest investment so far has been in my local YMCA where I am a member of the triathlon club...I can swim, get free clinics, cycle and run...although I prefer to run outside. I am on my third pair of Brooks Adrenaline running sneakers...best $100 I ever spent. These sneakers have saved my feet, knees and hips from injury :) I have been an avid runner for a couple of years. I also love my TYR swimsuit and shimano cycling shoes. Body glide or the equivalent (chamois butter) is a must too. One of my best purchases was Swim, Bike, Mom's new book on Triathlon...a must read esp. for a beginner. I learned a lot! Good luck...friend me if you need support or just someone to talk to.

Julie
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've done about 6 try-a-tri's over the last few years and my first sprint last summer. If you are swimming indoors, you will be fine in a swimsuit. I have my shorts waiting for me at transition and you can also throw a t-shirt on over top as well - your transition time may not be great but it's a good chance to catch your breath if needed and put on the clothes over top that you want. One piece of advice - I wear a sports bra under my swimsuit - my girls are not comfortable without the extra support!!! Secondly, try a workout or two in your workout gear of choice - better to try out what you want to wear and make sure it is comfortable and won't chafe BEFORE race day. Being prepared is key to success. Good luck!
  • VeeBethTris
    Options
    I signed up for a Y Tri challenge this Sunday at my local Y. It'll be a great insight into it and still doing some brick workouts. I will keep you guys updated when the race is over. Thanks again for all the insight and advice.

Veronica