Anyone with multiple foods allergies or sensitivities?

Options
healthycrone
healthycrone Posts: 15 Member
Hi there, I'm new to this group and it looks great. I have multiple food sensitivies - gluten, dairy (butter is okay though, thank heavens), corn, soy, pork.... The corn is a real bummer because it's in a lot of gluten free products.... Anyone else wanna whine in?

Replies

• lakerschick275
    lakerschick275 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I can't eat gluten or casein, trying to go out to eat is a ***** lol
  • Catwoman1037
    Catwoman1037 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have the gluten intolerance, I am allergic to honey and I have a digestive intolerance to pork. I have also been having stomach issues with milk lately, but I can eat yogurt and cheese w/no problem, so I will keep an eye on that. No fun, but I can always think of worse things to have wrong........... :ohwell:
  • Crackers777
    Crackers777 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been allergic to ALL animal products since I was kid. I am also gluten free.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have celiacs and am allergic/intolerant to: Oats, rice, corn, tree nuts, peanuts and dairy, and I have a hard time with vegetable oils. None of it really bothers me. I was a little bit bummed about the rice because I have absolutely nothing to fall back on now for easy carbs (except potatoes, which are far harder to eat then a rice cake is) Otherwise I'm ok with it.

I was diagnosed with Celiacs in August, as well as removing dairy from my diet, so its only been 8 months, and all the other things have been taken out of my diet since then. I had a hard hard time at the beginning, I felt really left out when everyone was eating and I was angry at my body, but really, its just food. I can't change things, so I chose to embrace it.
  • crl115
    crl115 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too am new the the group. I have had environmental, animal, and food allergies all of my life. Since diagnosis / seriously cutting out the gluten, some sensitivities/allergies have gotten worse, some have gotten better. My current list includes (but is probably not "limited" to):

Celiac's (approximately 5 years since diagnosis), OAS, Cow Casien sensitivity (can still process goat, sheep, & bison), nightshade allergy (includes white potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant), severe soy allergy, peanut allergy, mild yeast allergy, severe chickpeas/garbanzo bean allergy, mild sulfide allergy, fungi allergy, Citric Acid sensitivity, latex - (mostly seen as a food based reaction: http://www.latexallergyresources.org/cross-reactive-food - all 4 of the high category, 3 from the moderate category, at least 18 of the mild - a few items I'm not sure if I've ever eaten them), intolerance to pork, possibly starting to become reactive to corn too (not sure if it's all corn or just GMO corn, or if there was a cross contamination)

While it can be challenging, I have found a renewed interest in cooking (even though I hate cooking for 1), I have noticed my taste buds have changed and things I hated as a kid and even as a pre-diagnosis adult, are not only palatable, but I enjoy them.

I have really seen the greatest positive changes over the last 6 months as I have learned about hidden gluten (I also went though some major life changes and my life is much less stressful right now which has helped, too!)

While there are days I just want New York style pizza, real mac-n-cheese, or a traditional grilled cheese sandwich & tomato soup, overall those days have decreased drastically as my health has improved.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm still having digestive problems, so I'm going to try going dairy free. I hate the shock to my routine, so I'm cutting down on dairy gradually while I find replacement foods.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Gluten, some nuts, to much dairy ( some is ok ) corn. Still being tested to see. I'm having a hard time finding things in my area I can eat. Our gluten free section is very small.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have been lactose intolerant for about 4.5 years and currently am eating gluten free to see if I am gluten intolerant due to digestive issues that I have been having for awhile.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I never had problems my whole life until a few years ago. I had a penicillin allergy as a kid that's now turned into a full-blown mold allergy. So I basically have rashes and hives every day the past 6 months... I absolutely hate taking an anti-histamine, but it's the only relief. Leaky gut syndrome that I got from being gluten intolerant is also causing this to worsen. Soy makes me break out into acne too. I'm already vegan (going on 2 yrs) and now have been gluten free for 2 months. Working on healing my gut by soaking and sprouting all my beans and grains, taking probiotics and digestive enzymes. I'm also taking adrenal support supplements (since all this weakens the adrenals) and OnGuard/Lemon Oil for anti-fungal.

Going vegan helped most of my issues, but apparently it's going to take me more to repair the years of damage from meat and dairy and gluten.

This is a good article about leaky gut. It causes a lot of food allergies: http://www.terawarner.com/blog/2012/07/leaky-gut-syndrome-symptoms-causes-solutions/
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm a coeliac but alos cannot have dairy, eggs, soya or eggs. The latest results from the hospital also show that I'm probably allergic to sunflower seed/oil too.
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    I have celiac and I think my digestive system is overly sensitive. I can’t eat raw vegetables and limited on dairy products otherwise my stomach makes THE loudest growling sounds ever. I also can’t take any pills that are not chewable.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    What I previously thought was a wheat intolerance has now been confirmed as celiac sprue. I also have intolerances to corn and soy (so I avoid most commercial GF products), shellfish and peanuts.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    All animal products, all grains, almonds, walnuts, pineapple, dates, and a few other foods that I have lower-grade reactions too, that I can eat small amounts of occasionally, as long as I am not reacting to anything else. Most of my diet would be fine for you, other than soy, which I only use (tofu or soy sauce) a couple of times a week.

I sometimes cook for my friend, who is also allergic to apples, most nuts, most tropical fruits, black pepper, peppers and any spices derived from them, all legumes, mushrooms, spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. We can both eat potatoes....

There is also an allergy board here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/161-food-allergies

Not super active, but happy to help out!

And with also being corn-free, you might also like to join the grain free group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/8246-grain-free

Hi there, I'm new to this group and it looks great. I have multiple food sensitivies - gluten, dairy (butter is okay though, thank heavens), corn, soy, pork.... The corn is a real bummer because it's in a lot of gluten free products.... Anyone else wanna whine in?
  • healthycrone
    healthycrone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! So what are you unexpectedly favorite recipes (you wouldn't have thought you'd like it before you knew about your food allergies/sensitivities)
  • crl115
    Options
    Gluten, some nuts, to much dairy ( some is ok ) corn. Still being tested to see. I'm having a hard time finding things in my area I can eat. Our gluten free section is very small.

Remember - many foods are naturally GF (and typically cost less than packaged GF foods)! Fruits, veggies, butcher cut grass fed meats, fish, rice, quinoa, seeds, etc. Plus, many of the packaged foods have added sugar/fat/higher calories in relation to non-GF foods.)

Depending on where you live, you can order a lot of items online (If you have Amazon and do this it's TOTALLY worth shelling out the 1x/year cost of Prime because you recoup the cost in a few deliveries in addition to free kindle books if you have a kindle, and free access to much of their video library.)

I hope some of these ideas help!
  • crl115
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! So what are you unexpectedly favorite recipes (you wouldn't have thought you'd like it before you knew about your food allergies/sensitivities)

I eat a lot of stone fruits now that I NEVER ate (ex: peach; plum; cherry; olives),

I make a lot of "veggie pasta" (ex: spaghetti squash, zucchini, sqash),

almost anything cooked CAULIFLOWER (I used to HATE it and now I make mash, use it as a soup base, creamed, tots),

BEET's! - I LOVE BEET CHIPS!, and I really like cooking with them too!

Coconut everything - I use coconut flower, shredded, water, oil, aminos's (instead of soy sauce since I'm also allergic to soy.)

Sweet potato - I use it in all sorts of things

Pumpkin - I use the puree in a lot of things now

My entire palate has changed! Ok, maybe not ALL of it. I still don't LIKE chicken or turkey, and I've found more things I'm sensitive to than I had been/knew about.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yes, wheat, soy and sulfites which are also in everything like soy, comes with a multitude of different names and is also natural occuring in some fruits and vegs. Oh, and sprayed on a ton of foods and used as anti clumping agent in Many Many things. Today. I found sulfites in a perscription antihistimine.!!!
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to see this post. I just had blood taken this morning to run a full food allergy panel on. I reacted to either blueberries or shellfish the other day :( I'm hoping I only have the issue with gluten (celiacs) and not corn, rice, etc.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have celiacs and many food interances- along with gluten, I can't eat grains, dairy,soy, legumes, corn syrup/agave, sunflower seeds, oil or stevia. and have to limit potatoes and tree nuts to only once in a while
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Gluten casein corn - I have a handle of avoiding the gluten and casein but the corn .... haven't really tackled that one - yesterday I broke out in bumps on my face and redness - so maybe it's past time?:frown: