recipes and food suggestions

Options
1tiamat
1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
I know the most difficult thing for me and my family has been the food. I love to cook, eat at interesting new places, and BUTTER. Why does butter have to be so good and so bad? lol

Anyway I think it would be great to see some recipes that are both good for you and taste great. I've experienced that at times it seems you must sacrifice one for the other.

232323232%7Ffp54397%3Enu%3D46%3B5%3E752%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D364234%3B93%3B349nu0mrj

PREPARATION
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in bell pepper, corn, garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl; let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare Tomato Salsa, if using.
Add pumpkin, cheese, wheat germ, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper to the onion mixture; mix well. With dampened hands, form the vegetable mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Stack tortillas and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in the oven for about 15 minutes to heat through. (Alternatively, stack tortillas between two damp paper towels; microwave on high for 30 to 60 seconds, or until heated through.)
Using 2 teaspoons oil per batch, cook 2 to 4 patties at a time in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Adjust heat as necessary for even browning. Wrap the patties in tortillas and serve immediately, garnished with lettuce and Fresh Tomato Salsa, if desired.

Enjoy!

Replies

• DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummie, I will have to try that, esp cause I love pumpkin!

I have a few recipes in my blog I will have to dig up and post. I'm a foodie too, so I've been learning alot about spices and herbs in place of salt...although I do still cook with real organic no hormone butter when needed. Other times I use olive oil from a spray bottle to coat the pan, or in some recipes, been learning to cook with coconut oil. No trans fat, so no Pam, even though it's lower in calories...not to mention it ruins my cookware. Learning to steam more too!
  • Supawmn18
    Supawmn18 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try to find healthy snacks that I can eat and not feel like sad because they are not tasty. well. I used to eat baby carrots and ranch but I was trying to reduce cal and sodium. well baby carrots and garden veggie cream chsese...yummy.

Quaker oats mini sweet chili and ranch rice cakes
  • jlg6599
    jlg6599 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com. I have found several recipes on the site that taste great.
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I mashed banana, I egg, .5 tbps cinnamon. Cook like pancakes, and top with peanut butter. OMG.
  • valeriecaden
    valeriecaden Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I mashed banana, I egg, .5 tbps cinnamon. Cook like pancakes, and top with peanut butter. OMG.

^ omg that sounds so good!! :0
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    Those banana pancakes ARE good! :)
  • gabdhouse
    gabdhouse Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know the most difficult thing for me and my family has been the food. I love to cook, eat at interesting new places, and BUTTER. Why does butter have to be so good and so bad? lol

Anyway I think it would be great to see some recipes that are both good for you and taste great. I've experienced that at times it seems you must sacrifice one for the other.

232323232%7Ffp54397%3Enu%3D46%3B5%3E752%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D364234%3B93%3B349nu0mrj

PREPARATION
    Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in bell pepper, corn, garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl; let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
    Meanwhile, prepare Tomato Salsa, if using.
    Add pumpkin, cheese, wheat germ, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper to the onion mixture; mix well. With dampened hands, form the vegetable mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
    Preheat oven to 325°F. Stack tortillas and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in the oven for about 15 minutes to heat through. (Alternatively, stack tortillas between two damp paper towels; microwave on high for 30 to 60 seconds, or until heated through.)
    Using 2 teaspoons oil per batch, cook 2 to 4 patties at a time in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Adjust heat as necessary for even browning. Wrap the patties in tortillas and serve immediately, garnished with lettuce and Fresh Tomato Salsa, if desired.

Enjoy!

Yum! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this!
  • gabdhouse
    gabdhouse Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Sounds good! Do you know how many calories it is?
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    - 1 ripe banana

- 2 whole eggs

Bam!!! That’s it. Just mix in a bowl and make sure the banana is all mashed. Then spray your pan with some PAM, EVO), or coconut oil on low to medium heat, scoop some of the batter on there, give it about 20-30 sec, flip, and done! Serve and eat!

240 calories

I like to sprinkle mine with a bit of cinnamon and just lightly drizzle with maple syrup...yum! Will have to try the peanut better route sometime though :)
  • 1tiamat
    1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Definitly breakfast tomorrow :)

should you heat up the peanut butter? how do you apply it?
  • jlg6599
    jlg6599 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    - 1 ripe banana

- 2 whole eggs

Bam!!! That’s it. Just mix in a bowl and make sure the banana is all mashed. Then spray your pan with some PAM, EVO), or coconut oil on low to medium heat, scoop some of the batter on there, give it about 20-30 sec, flip, and done! Serve and eat!

240 calories

I like to sprinkle mine with a bit of cinnamon and just lightly drizzle with maple syrup...yum! Will have to try the peanut better route sometime though :)

Sounds good. I am going to try this ASAP!!
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Sounds good! Do you know how many calories it is?

If you use my recipe, 209 cal, 29 carb, 7 fat, 8 protein. That doesn't count the peanut butter though.