New to the group!!

Options
2»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Amy106Days - It sounds like you're running too fast. What's your speed?

Also, it doesn't sound like you're getting enough air. Human beings are one of the few animals that can take more than one breath per stride when running. You should take advantage of it and breathe as much as you can while running.
  • newfie_74
    newfie_74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started C25K by alternating the program with strengthening exercises, only resting one day per week. After about 3 weeks, I felt exhausted. (also started from couch, literally.) I switched it up and now have a 3 day cycle: 1. C25K, 2. strengthening, 3. rest. So, I don't always follow my app exactly, but it's working for me.

My marathon-running friends stress to me that strengthening is as important as the running/cardio, and helps to avoid injury, so don't forget to add that in there somewhere!

I totally conquered W5D2, I am going for W5D3 tonight (that's 20 minutes of continuous running on my app... little bit scared! LOL)
  • newfie_74
    Options
    [still learning the forums, lol]
  • newfie_74
    Options
    When I first started, everything sloshed from side to side with every step. All I got from my neighbors was "You go!"

It's better to be "that fat chick running down the road" than "that fat chick sitting on the couch" but, trust me, the ONLY person thinking that about you is the one you see in the mirror. Most people just wish they had the strength to get out there. The ones that do have the strength...they totally know what it's like to be a beginning runner.

Exactly! And if I can run 5K by June, that's probably a lot farther than my skinny friends run! LOL
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That sounds like a great balance, newfie. It's really important to listen to our bodies and have the rest days we need to rejuvenate and repair.
  • gabdhouse
    gabdhouse Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Gabbie. I tired C2k before and didn't make it past the 1st week. But, I thought I'd give it another try.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi Gabbie, welcome to the group. You will find a lot of mativation and support here. Good luck with the program and just keep trying. It wasn´t easy for anybody but it gives you great results. Just do it and tell yourself you can!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Gabbie - Make sure that you are running as slowly as you physically can. It should be about the same speed as you walk. That's the number one thing that new runners have to learn.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It's so great to see all these new faces excited about running! I am on week 7 and I think I am hooked for life. Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck! You are giving a great gift to yourselves!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group, too! I'm attempting (defeating??!!) W5D2 tonight.

I've recruited my daughter, sister and a few GF's to run a local 5K in June, that's my goal... not to die running that!

I am currently running inside, but when spring has sprung, I am going outside. I'm going to be "that fat chick running down the road", but not for long! LOL

Awesome! I'm currently that "fat chick running down the road," yet much lighter than when I began running. This meant a lot to me when I was first getting out there... perhaps now is the time for you to have a read. It's pretty quick, enjoy!

http://www.marathonconfessions.com/2012/08/hey-fat-girl.html
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi Group! I am new (again) doing day 3 of week one tomorrow. I am combining this with Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and hoping to get a boost in my energy and stamina over all. I tried c25k once before (got to week 3) and also c25k treadmill (got to week 3). I failed both ways because I was unable to regulate my breathing and I had bad shoes....or at least that is what I am telling myself. The last 2 sets I have run until I felt I would hyperventilate and that was just the short bursts of day 1 and 2. This may be the stupidest question ever but do you have any tips on breathing?

I don't know if I can help, but I am an EPIC "hyperventilator". Seriously, since I was a kid, downright paralyzing. There are a couple things that may or may not be useful for you, but helped me. First, please, please trust that you WILL find enough air. You will breathe again, freely. Hyperventilating is only made worse by anxiety about it, which for me is what made me stop, over and over and over again, for years, until I just stopped trying. So believe that your body will take care of itself, trust yourself, so the panic doesn't add to the problem.

Also, I looked up so much about breathing, and everyone in the world recommended even in/outs, whether every 2 steps, 3 steps, 4 steps... it was all even. Then I found a site that recommended a longer inhale (through your mouth), and quicker exhale. TOTAL GAME CHANGER! For me, it's what allowed me to actually complete the program. I still struggle to breathe comfortably, and I assure you I'm not going to fast (Just broke 4.5 MPH), but the panic is gone and the hyperventilating is so much less. I can actually jog right through it (painfully, but through it) until I find my breath again. I can now run 3.6 hilly miles... it's so freakin' amazing to me, the girl who'd have to drop out of basketball practice to breathe into a paper bag.

Good luck! Let us know how you do!
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I don't know if I can help, but I am an EPIC "hyperventilator". Seriously, since I was a kid, downright paralyzing. There are a couple things that may or may not be useful for you, but helped me. First, please, please trust that you WILL find enough air. You will breathe again, freely. Hyperventilating is only made worse by anxiety about it, which for me is what made me stop, over and over and over again, for years, until I just stopped trying. So believe that your body will take care of itself, trust yourself, so the panic doesn't add to the problem.

Also, I looked up so much about breathing, and everyone in the world recommended even in/outs, whether every 2 steps, 3 steps, 4 steps... it was all even. Then I found a site that recommended a longer inhale (through your mouth), and quicker exhale. TOTAL GAME CHANGER! For me, it's what allowed me to actually complete the program. I still struggle to breathe comfortably, and I assure you I'm not going to fast (Just broke 4.5 MPH), but the panic is gone and the hyperventilating is so much less. I can actually jog right through it (painfully, but through it) until I find my breath again. I can now run 3.6 hilly miles... it's so freakin' amazing to me, the girl who'd have to drop out of basketball practice to breathe into a paper bag.

Good luck! Let us know how you do!
    [/quote]

I am running tonight and I can't wait to try out your advice. Last "run" I set my pandora on shuffle and it somehow (read user error) ended up playing Carly Simon, show tunes and Sinatra during my "run". It was funny because each song was more terrible than the last to run to but with each new random song start my mood lightened. I was sucking all the fun out of running before. I was afraid I would lose my breath, nervous that my form was bad or my shoes too cheap or I would get shin splints and have to start all over again and that is a lot of noise to push past. I need to breathe in deeper and just breathe easier over all. Thanks for the advice and support. I will let you know.