What Does Everybody Think About Dating A Shorter Man?

Options

Replies

• headyo
    headyo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've dated nothing but taller men since the beginning. After I ended my marriage, a guy who is 7" shorter than me showed interest and I recoiled. Fortunately, I thought about it and realized that dating taller men got me nowhere in love, so I started to date him. I am so glad I did; he's a dream.
  • cswhitchurch
    Options
    My fiance is 3 inches taller than me (6'2" to my 5'11"). Prior to him, though, all of my serious relationships were with men either my height or shorter. My shortest boyfriend was 5'8" and actually I was more attracted to him physically than anyone else I've been with. I was often pursued by tall guys (especially the REALLY tall guys) but for some reason I was just never attracted to them. It's weird! I would try dating tall guys but just never "felt it." I was always more attracted to guys who were around my height or shorter. Strange.

I do need a guy to be broader than me though, and I guess I tend to like the broad body type more than anything. That way I still feel small and protected.

I also used to never wear heels. I only started wearing them a few years ago, and I love that I am able to wear them with my fiance and not tower over him! (Although if I wear anything over 3 inches, I am a hair taller than he is).
  • ErikaLin
    ErikaLin Posts: 13
    Options
    Growing up I thought that since I'm between 5'9"-5'10" that I must be a assigned to a 6ft or taller guy. So naturally, in school I looked around for all the tall guys. I've always had a hard time being with a guy shorter than me because I would feel over-powering. However, if you truly like the man for who he is, height does not matter. My boyfriend of 2 years is only an inch taller than me, and I wouldn't wanna be with anyone else. Even if they were 6'5" :)
  • happydispatcher
    happydispatcher Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy that was 4 inches shorter than me and hated it. I dated a guy the same height as me, it was not that bad. Part of the issue for me isn't just height it is the fact that besides being tall I am built like a football player. My first husband is 6'3 and my current husband is 6'6 280lbs. I feel more secure and not so much of an amazon when I am with him.
  • KippyBee
    KippyBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can't do it. I'm 5'10" and 6'1" when I've got heels on, so the minimum height I'll date is 6'1". I might consider someone an inch of two less than that, but they'd have to be pretty darn great. I just feel uncomfortable when I'm next to man who is shorter than me. I slouch, I put my weight into my hip and oddly, I feel guilty for being taller than them. I want a man to be bigger and stronger than me, I want to look up to him physically and I want him to have to bend down to kiss me, not the other way around!
  • SkinnieVeggie
    Options
    I am 5'9 1/2" and I have always dated shorter men. I didn't mind it at all, unless they told me I couldn't/ they'd prefer if I didn't wear heels. My man I am currently with is about an inch-2 inches taller. I find that to be a nice height for me, and he doesn't mind my heels ;)
  • betterthanbefpre
    betterthanbefpre Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I always was attracted to the taller men but I have dated shorter too. If you are into them then it doesn't matter about height...just how comfortable you are with one another.

That being said, I come from a long line of tall ladies, like I'm sure most of you do and some have married shorter and some taller but all married because they were smitten with one another. ;)

My husband is exactly the same height as me...but when we started dating he said he was 6' 1" lol. I love him anyway! Oh and this year we will be married for 18 years!! :wink:
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've never dated men who were really noticeably shorter than me. Most have been so close to my height that we couldn't figure out who was taller until we actually measured.
  • Makingachangeforlife
    Makingachangeforlife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Call me old fashioned, but I can't get past it! I once dated a guy that was the exact same height as me (I'm 5"9") which meant I couldn't wear heels....
    not sure why, but it didn't work out!! lol
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11". I've dated both shorter men and taller men (my current BF is 6'3" though he's skinny as a bean pole) and personally, I'm not comfortable dating a guy that's shorter than me so much so my mom used to call me "heightist". It also hasn't helped that I've always been heavy so I just felt like a whale when I was with a shorter/smaller guy.

However since I started losing some #s, I've been a lot more comfortable. I wore 6" heels for my college graduation and was taller than my boyfriend then. He didn't mind and actually got a little riled by the whole thing! :wink:

Either way, at the end of the day it should really matter more about what's on the inside than the outside. I have never loved anyone so much as my 6'3" man but it's TOTALLY about what makes YOU happy!
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    At 5'10" tall, I've dated as short as 5'5' tall. It wasn't a big deal to me.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft and I'm seeing a shorter man for the first time. He's 5'8". All the hang-ups are mine. He totally doesn't care that I'm taller, but I'm struggling with it. But he treats me really well and is a nice guy. I got to thinking, I don't want people to dismiss me immediately because of my height, so I shouldn't do it to someone else. We'll see!
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love tall men, as well, but have been in a relationship with a short guy for almost 3 years! Sometimes I think we look silly together but most times I don't notice the height difference.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    i'm 5ft 10 and my boyfriend is 5ft 7 and we both are more than happy with that. He encourages me to wear heels which i do a lot and he actually loves that im taller than him. Funny but i never see him as shorter than me he just is what he is.
  • Raspberry_Jelly1987
    Options
    I once went out with a lad who was a good few inches shorter than me (I'm 5"11), it ended in a disaster. I'm not sure the height difference had anything to do with it, for the purpose of this post, lets pretend it did!! Looking back I think he had issue with me been taller and he hated me wearings heels (which I ignored....possibly why we didn't get on, I don't like been told what to wear!)

My current boyfriend is over 6"2 and to be honest I feel a lot more comfortable with him been taller! It's nice to be able to dress up in heels and him still be taller than me!
  • Dcharnice
    Dcharnice Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' 2" and my husband is 5' 9" and me loves that I am taller than him. I even rock the 3" - 4" heels and his confidence stands strong!!
  • Aellyn
    Aellyn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My husband is 3 inches shorter than me. He likes tall women (lucky me!). The only time he asked me not to wear heels was when we got married so I wasn't towering over him in the pictures. Worked for me because I wanted to be comfy that day. I wore white keds under my dress and we were both happy.
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    ReinaJaLaNa Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can't do it. I'm 5'10" and 6'1" when I've got heels on, so the minimum height I'll date is 6'1". I might consider someone an inch of two less than that, but they'd have to be pretty darn great. I just feel uncomfortable when I'm next to man who is shorter than me. I slouch, I put my weight into my hip and oddly, I feel guilty for being taller than them. I want a man to be bigger and stronger than me, I want to look up to him physically and I want him to have to bend down to kiss me, not the other way around!

Omg this mirrors my sentiments eXACTLY!

Looking at a lot of the other posts on here, I started feeling kind of bad because it seems there are a lot of other tall ladies out there who have dated, are willing to date or are even married to guys shorter -- even quite a bit shorter -- than them, and that's just never, evvvvvvvvvvvver been me. But I do agree with those who have also said that whenever they've dated a shorter guy, they (the females) are the ones who have had the issue -- that the guys haven't. I've found the same to be the case -- although I've never dated a guy more than maybe an inch shorter than me, I've definitely spoken with quite a few of them, including ones interested in me, who have outright said this...that they don't care. Well, I care -- I REALLY care...and, like KippyBee said, I just feel like I can't do it or get over it.

Ironically, I've had a lot of shorter guys approach and be interested in me, but guys taller than me, not so much. It's so weird - SOO FREAKING WEIRD! I've noticed the taller guys typically end up dating or being interested in shortie women -- go figure, right?!

And I just can't even imagine how a short guy would be okay with or especially prefer his woman to be taller than him....but I guess that's just like how I can't imagine a taller guy to actually prefer a much shorter woman. Makes no sense to me! But most DEFinitely my hats off to all the other lengthy ladies out there willing to have that kind of an open mind. I think that is completely awesome, and I'm pretty positive I am missing out on some magnificent men out there in having that one restriction :-/
  • nikarjc
    nikarjc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried dating shorter men and it never worked out. In the beginning they seemed ok with the height difference but then they started changing. Not wanting me to wear heels when we went out and stuff like that. I cant deal with that I so stopped dating men shorter than me a long time ago.

I have had the same problem and when I get dressed up I like heels about 3-4" heels so I am leary when I get asked out by a shorter man. However if I do and we go out I sport my heels... He knew how tall I was when he asked me and I was probably wearing the heels. SO my opinion is you shouldnt ask if you dont want me to wear them,.. You can tell pretty quickly!!
  • nikarjc
    nikarjc Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Omg this mirrors my sentiments eXACTLY!

Looking at a lot of the other posts on here, I started feeling kind of bad because it seems there are a lot of other tall ladies out there who have dated, are willing to date or are even married to guys shorter -- even quite a bit shorter -- than them, and that's just never, evvvvvvvvvvvver been me. But I do agree with those who have also said that whenever they've dated a shorter guy, they (the females) are the ones who have had the issue -- that the guys haven't. I've found the same to be the case -- although I've never dated a guy more than maybe an inch shorter than me, I've definitely spoken with quite a few of them, including ones interested in me, who have outright said this...that they don't care. Well, I care -- I REALLY care...and, like KippyBee said, I just feel like I can't do it or get over it.

Ironically, I've had a lot of shorter guys approach and be interested in me, but guys taller than me, not so much. It's so weird - SOO FREAKING WEIRD! I've noticed the taller guys typically end up dating or being interested in shortie women -- go figure, right?!

And I just can't even imagine how a short guy would be okay with or especially prefer his woman to be taller than him....but I guess that's just like how I can't imagine a taller guy to actually prefer a much shorter woman. Makes no sense to me! But most DEFinitely my hats off to all the other lengthy ladies out there willing to have that kind of an open mind. I think that is completely awesome, and I'm pretty positive I am missing out on some magnificent men out there in having that one restriction :-/

I pretty much feel the same but wouldnt say no to a date based on height I can find something else wrong that I wouldnt ever live with and I often do... Prolly why Im 29 and single never married.... Just waiting on God to send me my tall dark and handsome!!