How to get more protein?

Options
SnicciFit
SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
I'm looking to increase my protein to 100-125g/day. Currently I average about 50-75g. I don't want to resort to protein powders (nothing against them, I would just rather eat real food). Any suggestions?

I already eat 3 eggs at breakfast and some sort of meat at lunch & dinner. I have no trouble meeting my fat or carb macros, but my protein almost always seems low.

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Doubling your meat portions is the most obvious way, if you're eating 50-75g now. Or hmm...raw egg smoothies, perhaps? I have trouble when I eat more than about 3 or 4 eggs/day, but others are fine doing so.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Nuts & seeds can give you a bit of protein, as can cheese & greek yogurt if you're not paleo. Seafood is another good source of protein if you want to mix things up. If you want a high protein snack, pork rinds are pretty tasty as I've recently discovered.
  • hopeful0131
    Options
    Maybe focus more often on meats that are the most dense sources of protein? I have found that tilapia and chicken breast are both surprisingly high in protein, and low in calories.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are in maintenance and working out. Like everyone said more meat, chicken, fish, and eggs. Might want to try some protein powder with coconut milk.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Maybe focus more often on meats that are the most dense sources of protein? I have found that tilapia and chicken breast are both surprisingly high in protein, and low in calories.

This.

Aim for leaner cuts of meat - or, if you can fit it into your macros - fattier cuts of meat that provide sufficient protein. Offal, ie, organ meat, is an excellent cheap protein source, is very nutritious and if any Paleo critic says "Yeah, well do you eat animal organs - like a real hunter-gatherer would?" You can just shrug and reply "All the freaking time, it makes excellent nachos". Tends to shut people up just right.
    IMHO, I would drop the fats a little bit to accommodate for the extra protein and - to top it off - replace the remainder with some more carbs. You do cross-fit and run, and the extra carbs can be a real benefit, there.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! It seems like I'm eating a ton of meat already, but I will just work on increasing my protein portions (decreasing fat to make room). I did pretty good yesterday :happy:
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Doubling your meat portions is the most obvious way, if you're eating 50-75g now. Or hmm...raw egg smoothies, perhaps? I have trouble when I eat more than about 3 or 4 eggs/day, but others are fine doing so.

I've been thinking about doing protein smoothies. how many raw eggs do you put in a single smoothie?