Options
2»

Replies

• NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    WE CAN DO THISSSSSSSS

RAWR

Haha, I LOVE your attitude!! At first I was nervous about going home and all the food I'll be facing, but I had a discussion with my parents about what I'm trying to do, and they are totally on board! Bring on the delicious veggies!!

On another note, I've realized that it's much easier to eat healthfully on Pesach when you're not eating gebrochts - it's a great way to avoid matza and matza meal. Maybe I'll start saying that I don't eat gebrochts, and see how far that gets me, lol. :)
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My local kashrut authority has OKed amaranth for Pesach this year. I am planning to have it for breakfast each morning with yogurt, fruit, honey and nuts. What other foods and recipes are we planning people????
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What's amaranth, I've never heard of it??

After much consultation with my mom, some of the recipes we'll be planning are Nicoise salads, Cauliflower paprikash, Quinoa-pesto torta, Ratatoille, Sweet potato galette, and various salmon and chicken recipes.
  • paprikas
    Options
    Sounds amazing. So happy that your mum is so supportive.

Amaranth is an ancient grain which is gluten free and high in protein. Kinda similar to quinoa
  • paprikas
    Options
    Here we go again guys...... what's on the menu this year???
    Let's support each other through this challenge that noone but noone else on MFP can begin to comprehend!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I just asked a rabbi... they said the first cup should be 4.2 ounces and the others could be 3.8 or 6 (just forgot what he said), and the first cup u should drink the whole thing but the others you just need to drink the majority... so iguess that's not that bad

I stocked up on low carb grape juice. 1/3 the calories of regular.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am going to INSIST on getting a heter to weigh my food on yom tov. If I have to weigh and premeasure my matzah before yom tov, I will.

My plan for Matzah is to keep one box for myself. That way, if I eat more than my planned amount one day, it comes off my next day's portion. By the time Yom Tov is over, I'll know exactly how much I ate.
  • David_273
    David_273 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You never weigh food or drink for mitzvot. All mitzva measurements are volume.
    Enough matza to cover the palm of your hand without fingers is easily the volume of an average 2014 olive.
    I am going to drink 86.4 cc of wine which is 3.0 US fluid ounces for each of the 4 cups, but I am not your rabbi (or any rabbi)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You never weigh food or drink for mitzvot.

And Shabbos food doesn't have calories right? Or cost money?
  • paprikas
    Options
    Well I spent all day cleaning and cooking and logged everything and was great. Then after bedikas chameitz I made a pesach cake and had some. Feel sick. This cannot continue
    My kids don't even like the cake. The exhaustion really doesn't help..... salads tomorrow. Happy pesach everyone!!!
  • paprikas
    Options
    Here we go again..... What are everyone's pre pesach goals???
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Hehehehe

So far, I ate all the pumpkin muffins from the freezer.
  • petdoc1950
    petdoc1950 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a new member of the group. My physical goal will be to lose 10 lbs. - 1/3 of the way to my goal. Spiritually it's to continue daily Talmud study on the Art Scroll 7 year plan and to finish Avot in their Mishna with commentary.
    - Shalom all
  • petdoc1950
    Options
    Great day! Spent the morning studying avot... yehudah ha navi with the kavod Rabbi white and the group. Then worked on the body with a 13 mile bike ride.
  • petdoc1950
    Options
    Still on track. Walked an hour and a half today to make up for the hamentashen and Purim feast. Studying agadah and Hiller today.
  • paprikas
    Options
    Oh my gosh, where did that year go? There have been some fantastic food suggestions on some of the comments, and it would be really nice if we could bring all the ideas together and share in the leadup to this years big P-Day.
  • David_273
    David_273 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Purim is only one day but beer and hamentachen really add up. Pesach is a whole week so we need some good ideas.