Recipes

Options
13»

Replies

• norskgem
    norskgem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday and thought it might be good for those who want a tasty meal that can be made in under 30 minutes. I've copied the full recipe from my Vegetarian Times magazine below followed by the modifications I do when making this recipe.

Broccoli Pesto
    Serves 9

6 tbsp blanched hazelnuts, plus more garnish (optional)
    2 cups broccoli florets
    1.5 cups loosely packed parsley leaves
    1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil plus more for drizzling (optional)
    1/2 cup mint leaves
    4 tsp lemon juice
    1.5 tsp grated lemon zest
    1.5 tsp capers rinsed and drained (optional)
    5 large garlic cloves
    Pasta

1. Toast hazelnuts in skillet 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden, shaking skillet often. Cool, coarsely chop and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to a boil. Cook broccoli in boiling water 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender. Remove with slotted spoon. Drain, and rinse under cool water. Drain again.

3. Pulse hazelnuts, broccoli, parsley, oil, mint, lemon juice, lemon zest, capers (if using), and garlic in food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

4. Cook pasta according to package directions in broccoli cooking water. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water before draining. Toss pasta with pesto and pasta cooking water. Garnish with toasted hazelnuts, if using, and drizzle with olive oil, if desired.

- To speed things up, I usually don't bother blanching the hazelnuts and I skip step one (toasting and chopping the hazelnuts) altogether.

- I usually leave out the parsley, mint, lemon zest and capers just because these aren't items I typically have in the house or cook with. The pesto is still pretty flavourful without it.

- I strongly recommend using no more than 2 or 3 cloves of garlic. The first time I made the recipe, I put 5 cloves in like the recipe says and was unable to taste anything other than garlic for 3 days afterwards.
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    My recipes for my meal plan...

SLOW COOKER MEXICAN CHICKEN:

4 Frozen Chicken Breasts (aka, 400 grams or 1 lb. if you get the frozen chicken breasts from safeway/superstore it's 2 of them)
    ½ cup 10 minute Brown Rice (1/2 cup uncooked obviously.. it's that minute rice in a box...)
    1 cup Salsa (el paso chunky medium is what I used)
    2 cans Black Bean (low sodium) (I used blue menu no sodium added! - each one is 2 cups)

Throw everything in together – black beans including juice. Cook on low for 8-10hrs and serve

Makes 6 cups at 222 calories a cup. But I make it into 4 servings (1.5 cups) at 333 calories per serving.

===============================================================================

Chicken Kebobs:

• 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed (200 grams or one whole frozen chicken breast)
    • 1/2 large green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    • 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
    • 1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    • 1/2 cup low sugar (under 5g per serving) barbeque sauce (1/4 cup! - and cajun is the BEST!! always bullseye! mmmm)
    • skewers
    (I also added mushrooms... about 5!)

Directions
    1. Preheat grill for high heat.
    2. Thread the chicken, green bell pepper, onion, and red bell pepper pieces onto skewers alternately.
    3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place kabobs on the prepared grill, and brush with barbeque sauce. Cook, turning and brushing with barbeque sauce frequently, for 15 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear.

I'm not going to lie.. I didn't do this... I cooked the chicken in a pan letting the juices/run off be my 'grease' aka be my non-sticker, added the veggies and used a lid to get them going, then added the sauce and mixed, letting it get juice and a bit carmelized... no skewers for me... This is apparently going to make '4' kebobs, but screw that, I consider it 2... aka a single serving. as it's very low calorie.. 364ish for the whole recipe.

I also found it very awesome to cut up all the veggies, use a ziplock sandwich bag and fit a portion them in and then let them freeze, so it was a fast cook, and everything was premade, cut and ready to go I just had a grab a chicken breast, cube it and away I went.

===========================================================================================

1 pancake =
    3/4 cup Egg Whites
    1/3 cup Dry Quick Oats
    1 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    ¼ tsp Baking Powder
    ½ tsp/1 packet Splenda or Stevia

Mix up in a bowl
    Pour in pan like an omelette
    Fold over like a crape yum!!!

**Put 1 tbsp Natural Peanut Butter on top or 30 ml Sugar Free Syrup**

-- I haven't made these yet... I start monday.

==============================

The Salad (or dressing really...)

Cranberry Romaine Salad

INGREDIENTS:
    1-1/2 teaspoons butter
    1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons almonds, blanched and slivered
    2 heads Romaine, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
    1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
    1 teaspoon minced onion
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1/4 cup olive oil

DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir almonds in butter until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and let cool.
    2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion, paprika, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and vegetable oil. Toss with lettece just before serving.
    3. In a large bowl, combine the spinach with the toasted almonds and cranberries

Okay first... just use a bit of the olive oil (1tbsp) and take out the butter completely.
    two.. add a teaspoon of either honey or raw sugar or SOMETHING otherwise you are living in a world of sour.
    3 - can't find poppy seed so I just ignore that.
    4 - I hate dried fruit.. so no cranberries for me... you can also make with 1/2 avacado apparently which I guess means when you're making it, it's about 1/3rd of 1/2 an avacado sliced?.
    5 - I just mix the almonds with the dressing immediately... screw this waiting until after you toss the lettece.
    6 - This makes 3 servings of the dressing, I use about 6 cups of lettece for each serving.. you do not need to use romaine, realistically this goes with any type of salad... and because I use 6 cups...
    7 - I also add a tablespoon of ranch to the lettece because zomg... I like it a bit creamier.
    8 - I'll have cooked and diced a chicken breast (200 grams), let it cool and mix it in... mmmmm...

=================================================================================

My new Smoothie (vegan friendly)... because OMG.

Ahem... I threw this together because I kept getting peanut butter with a banana.. and I already had 1 cup of blueberries listed for the day with steel cut oats which again... I don't like mixing fruit with other things aka cooked things... since I was allowed veggies/fruit of my choice with lunch I just took a portion of strawberries out of that... and voila.)

1 cup unsweetened almond milk (did I mention I love this stuff?! 30 calories a cup and does wonders for cereal and smoothies)
    1 Banana
    1 Cup Blueberries
    3-4 Strawberries (medium)
    2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
    anywhere between 6 to 10 ice cubes.

Mix in the blender and serve... for just yourself it's 389 calories.... makes somewhere around 4 cups (or just under) and it's DELICIOUS... there is this amazing peanut buttery aftertaste which is just droolishious.

===============================================================================

And finally...

Egg Salad

INGREDIENTS:
    5 eggs
    3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
    ½ teaspoon steak sauce
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
    salt and ground black pepper to taste
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 15 minutes. Remove eggs from hot water, cool under cold running water, and peel.
    2. Chop eggs and transfer to a large bowl.
    3. Stir mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, sweet pickle relish, steak sauce, paprika, and dill into eggs until well mixed; season with salt and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, if desired.
    4. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper before serving

Apparently it makes '2' servings.. but this is more like 3... and I don't follow this exactly... No pickle relish for me bleh.. and no dill weed, I like onions in mine (1/2 of one finely cut) and I do a teaspoon of bbq sauce not steak... don't add salt or black pepper and throw the cayenne in when mixing.
  • tiffanyisk
    Options
    I made a clean BBQ sauce that is just incredible! I marinated chicken wings in it and baked, it tasted like I was cheating but it was still healthy!

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce – no sugar added
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste – no sugar added
    1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons unsulfered molasses
    3 tablespoons honey
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    Directions:

Combine all ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl and mix well using a whisk.
    Use as you would any other bbq sauce!

it tastes like any other BBQ sauce but it's so much better for you
    Nutritional Content:
    (Data is for 1/4 cup)
    Calories: 74
    Total Fat: 0 gm
    Saturated Fats: 0 gm
    Trans Fats: 0 gm
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 248 mg
    Carbohydrates: 19 gm
    Dietary fiber: 1 gm
    Sugars: 13 gm
    Protein: 1 gm
    Estimated Glycemic Load: 1
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Not a specific recipe, but tiffanyisk brought to my attention two good clean eating sources:

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com
    and
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com

That I thought should be shared. Thanks tiffanyisk!
  • ktrauzzi
    ktrauzzi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2013/03/29/make-your-own-flavored-oils-2/?hootPostID=d51a30c117f9cc1dcd1be7ecf0f08cf4

*That seems like a whole lot of work for something that I rarely use -- but someone may be interested?
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    LOW-FAT / LIGHT ALFREDO SAUCE

This is my favourite new recipe. You can have it with pasta or spaghetti squash; add anything else you may want to the final dish (chicken, shrimp, etc.).

Original recipe via: http://www.food.com/recipe/low-fat-lite-alfredo-sauce-100488

1 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup romano cheese
    1/8 teaspoon basil (can add more, depending on your pref.)
    Directions:
    Put all ingredients, except basil, into food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
    Pour mixture in small saucepan and add basil.
    Cook over medium-low heat until heated through and smooth consistency.
    Add more basil, salt and/or pepper, if desired.
    Let cook on very low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Serve over any type of pasta or use for vegetable lasagna.

My modifications:
    - I use gravy flour instead of cornstarch because that's what I have on hand at the moment
    - I leave out the salt
    - I use just a smidge under a cup of milk
    - I only use 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
    - I also add dried cilantro & oregano

I make this in my magic bullet and will sometimes make 2-3 batches at once. Making a 3x batch right now and plan on freezing some of the sauce for later. I think it should work! The batches that I don't freeze never last more than a couple of days of the fridge before it gets consumed. Don't know how long it is "safe" to have it stored in the fridge. The sauce thickens as it cools, so "next day" batches from the fridge are extra yummy!
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Curried Red Lentil Soup W/Chickpeas & Quinoa

***Original recipe from www.zestycook.com

1 tablespoon oil
    1/2 cup onion (chopped)
    1/2 cup carrot (chopped)
    1/2 cup celery (chopped)
    1 tablespoon garlic (chopped)
    1 tablespoon ginger (chopped)
    1 tablespoon curry powder (or 1 tablespoon garam masala + 1 teaspoon turmeric)
    1 cup red lentils
    3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
    1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 tablespoon chili sauce (such as sambal oelek, or to taste)
    1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
    1 cup quinoa (cooked)
    salt and pepper to taste
    * cilantro (chopped)
    * Greek style yogurt (or strained yogurt or sour cream)

Heat the oil in a pan.
    Add the onions, carrots and celery and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
    Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
    Add the lentils, stock, tomatoes and chili sauce.
    Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
    Add the chickpeas and quinoa and warm them up.
    Season with salt and pepper and serve with a garnish of cilantro and a dollop of Greek style yogurt.
    ENJOY!

Makes 6 servings of approximately 1-1/2 cups each at 290 calories a serving.

Notes:

Didn't use onion, because I don't like it, or celery, because I didn't have it. I used 1 tsp of ground ginger rather than the grated. I added a little broccoli & cauliflower. You will want to adjust the seasonings to suit your personal tastes as this is SUPER SPICY, but so good!
  • ktrauzzi
    Options
    June Cooking Class

Chicken Kebobs:

• 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed (200 grams or one whole frozen chicken breast)
    • 1/2 large green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    • 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
    • 1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    • 1/2 cup low sugar (under 5g per serving) barbeque sauce (1/4 cup! - and cajun is the BEST!! always bullseye! mmmm)
    • skewers
    (I also added mushrooms... about 5!)

Directions
    1. Preheat grill for high heat.
    2. Thread the chicken, green bell pepper, onion, and red bell pepper pieces onto skewers alternately.
    3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place kabobs on the prepared grill, and brush with barbeque sauce. Cook, turning and brushing with barbeque sauce frequently, for 15 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear.

I'm not going to lie.. I didn't do this... I cooked the chicken in a pan letting the juices/run off be my 'grease' aka be my non-sticker, added the veggies and used a lid to get them going, then added the sauce and mixed, letting it get juice and a bit carmelized... no skewers for me... This is apparently going to make '4' kebobs, but screw that, I consider it 2... aka a single serving. as it's very low calorie.. 364ish for the whole recipe.

I also found it very awesome to cut up all the veggies, use a ziplock sandwich bag and fit a portion them in and then let them freeze, so it was a fast cook, and everything was premade, cut and ready to go I just had a grab a chicken breast, cube it and away I went.

We also made our own bbq sauce instead of using sauce from the store:

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce – no sugar added
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste – no sugar added
    1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons unsulfered molasses
    3 tablespoons honey
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    Directions:

Combine all ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl and mix well using a whisk.
    Use as you would any other bbq sauce!

it tastes like any other BBQ sauce but it's so much better for you
    Nutritional Content:
    (Data is for 1/4 cup)
    Calories: 74
    Total Fat: 0 gm
    Saturated Fats: 0 gm
    Trans Fats: 0 gm
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 248 mg
    Carbohydrates: 19 gm
    Dietary fiber: 1 gm
    Sugars: 13 gm
    Protein: 1 gm
    Estimated Glycemic Load: 1

*Chicken kebobs originally posted by Judi and the bbq sauce was originally posted by Tiffany.
  • ktrauzzi
    Options
    Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo - Rachel Ray

8 oz fettuccine
    2 tbsp oil
    2 cloves garlic finely chopped
    1 tbsp chopped fresh sage, plus small whole leaves for garnish
    2 tbsp flour
    1 cup fat free chicken broth
    1/2 cup 2% milk
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 pinch ground nutmeg
    3/4cup grated parmesan, plus more for serving

Directions
    In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.
    Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and chopped sage and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
    Whisk in the flour until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, milk, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring gently, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
    Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss. Stir in 3/4 cup parmesan. Top with the sage leaves and more parmesan.

*When I make for myself - I half the recipe and it still makes enough to cover 3 servings. Maybe 4 depending on how you like your sauce. I also NEVER add the parm cheese. I'm ok without it. The garlic and sage - I just use the spices up in my counter and just kinda add a bit and go. lol. It's pretty good though
  • ktrauzzi
    Options
    July Cooking Class

Fruit Salad with Greens - Our take on Wendy's Berry Almond Chicken Salad

-- it's a salad so please make according to your preference. We used:
    Romaine Lettuce
    Blueberries
    Strawberries
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Greek Feta Salad Dressing
    Chicken Breasts

*You can also add feta cheese and almonds - again - pretty much whatever you want. It's super good.