BOOK LIST ON BINGE EATING OR RELATED SUBJECTS

Options

Replies

• fro99erann
    fro99erann Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if these books are available on Tueble or for free download??
  • slowcrawl
    Options
    I like Karen Koenig's books. They are easy reads and quite funny.

Nice girls finish fat:
    http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Girls-Finish-Fat-Yourself/dp/1416592644/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Rules of normal eating:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Rules-Normal-Eating-Commonsense/dp/0936077212/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

And she's also got a workbook that I've yet to work through. Also trying to press on with Fairburn!
  • AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink. I really want to figure out how to eat "normally" without feeling so panicky about logging every little thing. I thought reaching my goal weight would make things easier, but I'm still scared to eat at "maintenance." I just want to be... normal.

I think I will be making a list of these books to work through over the next few months. Thanks all.
  • cbm413
    cbm413 Posts: 36
    Options
    Haha, I started writing titles down on a post-it note and ran out of room! I guess I'll just keep coming back to this thread every time I'm ready for a new book :smile:

I'm in the middle of Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss. It's not about binge eating, but the subtitle is "How the Food Giants Hooked Us", and that pretty much says it all. It will make you MAD about processed food!
  • cbm413
    cbm413 Posts: 36
    Options
    Also. . . Full-Filled by Renee Stephens. That's a good one! And it has a six-week plan if you're looking for a structured action plan.
  • skylarloses
    skylarloses Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just started "Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21 Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating" by Meryl Hershey Beck. I am currently on Day 3 and so far I love it. She talks often about a 12 step program (AA, OA) which I am not completely sold on, but she talks about a lot of other ways to cope with emotional eating. I love the set up of the book because each day there is an assignment to help you further your recovery from emotional eating. Each day you incorporate a new step/assignment while continuing previous days steps/assignments.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I just requested from my library the suggestion of Karen Koenig's books!

I read Gennen Roth and did like her writing style. Might read another one of hers next.
  • dladisheff
    Options
    Binge Free by Robert Dave Johnston is excellent with a recovery program. I have it in Kindle form but I think you can get it paperback as well.

Donna L.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i just recently bought "brain over binge" - i've heard good things about it, but have yet to crack it open.

anyone heard anything about it?
  • xvegivorex
    Options
    i have read:

the BED/CO workbook by carolyn coker ross
    50 ways to soothe yourself without food by susan albers
    breaking free from emotional eating & women food and god both by geneen roth
    fat is a feminist issue by suze orbach
    the owl was a baker's daughter by marion woodman
    nourishing wisdom by marc david
    eating by the light of the moon by anita a. johnston
    Crave: Why You Binge Eat and How to Stop by Cynthia M. Bulik
    The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by David A. Kessler
    Lying in Weight: The Hidden Epidemic of Eating Disorders in Adult Women by Trisha Gura

the first two i refer to on a constant basis and have truly helped me a lot…x
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sailrunner
    sailrunner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What's it about?
    What was helpful for you from it?

thanks for mentioning it as I'd seen it listed.
  • wendimlee
    wendimlee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Geneen Roth's books have helped me a lot. 'Women, Food and God' was a big eye-opener and made me realize I wasn't the only one out there.
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I just got Shrink Yourself by Roger Gould, M.D. and it is excellent. It really speaks to me. He says that feeling powerlessness in key aspects of your life is the root of emotional eating. Reminds me a lot of the therapy I had a few years ago (CBT), which teaches you how to manage the feelings without food. Thanks for suggesting it. :)
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    I just got the book "But I deserve this Chocolate!" by Susan Albers. I have also ordered but have not received yet "Eating Less -- Say Goodbye to Overeating" by Gilliam Riley. For some reason it's going to take quite awhile for that book to come. :(

I am looking into a couple Kindle books, too.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,366 Member
    Options
    I know this is not a book but this link youtube which is about 22 min long is awesome insight into why weight maintenance is hard. I have learned over the years that weight maintenance is harder than losing weight and keeping it off. A must watch if obese and you have ever yo-yoed. You have to watch the whole thing. Knowledge is good because even though hard, it is possible to do with knowledge.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1115397-understanding-why-it-s-so-difficult-to-maintain-weight
  • cyclone_girl
    cyclone_girl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'm just now seeking help to overcome BED and can use all the help I can get!
  • loumomofthree
    loumomofthree Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank-you,
    I'm going to try and read a few of these books. I may try something light for the first book.
    I believe I had a lightbulb moment yesterday. I have been trying to control my eating through different diets for years now and I can never seem to get past day 3. I believe I have an binging issue not an diet issue...
    Lucie
  • viola_messaline
    viola_messaline Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @Molly,

Thanks so much for the Fairburn recommendation! I just started reading it, but warm and fuzzy inspirational books just make me uncomfortable (it's me, not them), so I really appreciate his dry and technical style.