Protein Muffin Recipes

Options
ladyace2078
ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
If you aren't my friend here you may not have seen me make a blog post or post these on the recipe forums. Since I know we are all trying to eat more protein, without eating processed foods and snacks can be a problem, here are some protein muffin recipes for you. I'm not a baker so if you modify the recipe let me know so I can improve the recipes! Oh and use foil muffin cups because these are sticky!

My family has switched to mostly clean eating. The primary reason was because my daughter has a sensitivity to red dye 40, which if you read food labels is in EVERYTHING. By cutting out red dye 40, we pretty much cut all processed foods.

Both my husband and I are lifting heavy and need some extra protein in our diets. I hate the taste of protein bars and they have way too much sugar (or sugar substitute) for me. I also don't love protein shakes, although I do drink one a day. In order to hit my protein goals I needed an easy to grab snack. I found a muffin recipe on the forums and from there I modified the recipes and have created my own recipes in different flavors. I'm not a baker at all, so I'm still tweaking the recipes. I make all of the flavors and freeze them, so that I only bake every 2 weeks or so. Enjoy!

Carrot Cake Protein Muffins - almost identical to Jamie Eason carrot cake protein bars

1 cup of oat flour (I just grind up old fashioned oats in the food processor...approximately 1 3/4 cup makes 1 cup ground)
3 scoops of vanilla protein powder (I use One Titan Complete Nutrition Vanilla Bean, has 240 cal/scoop)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
4 egg whites (or 12 tbs of egg beaters)
1/4 cup sugar (this is optional, these are pretty sweet without the sugar, but the sugar makes them more cake like)
8-10 oz of baby food carrots
6-8 baby carrots grated

Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together and add to dry ingredients. If it seems a little too thick add some sugar free applesauce or water to thin out. Should be the consistency of any muffin mix. Bake 20 +/- min depending on oven. Makes ~18 muffins. 1.2 g fat, 11.5 g carb (4.5g sugar), 9.9 g protein, 99 calories per muffin.

Pumpkin Spice Protein Muffins - taken from the MFP forums and modified

1 cup of oatmeal processed in a blender/food processor into flour (will be less than 1 cup after you turn it into flour)
4 scoops of vanilla protein powder (I use One Titan Complete Nutrition Vanilla Bean, has 240 cal/scoop)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 egg whites (or 12 tbs of egg beaters)
1 15 oz can of Libby's pure pumpkin
1/2 cup of no sugar added apple sauce

Optional: Top with almonds or chocolate chips. If you prefer sweeter muffins, add 1/4 cup honey (or less).

Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together and add to dry ingredients. If it seems a little too thick add some sugar free applesauce or water to thin out, but batter will be lumpy. Should be the consistency of any muffin mix. Bake 15-20 +/- min depending on oven. Makes ~18 muffins. 2.3 g fat, 7.9 g carb (1.9g sugar), 14.3 g protein, 100 calories per muffin.

Banana Nut Protein Muffins - modified pumpkin spice recipe
1 cup of oatmeal processed in a blender/food processor into flour (will be less than 1 cup after you turn it into flour)
4 scoops of vanilla protein powder (I use One Titan Complete Nutrition Vanilla Bean, has 240 cal/scoop)
1 tsp baking powder
3 egg whites (or 12 tbs of egg beaters)
4-5 medium bananas, ripe & mashed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup of no sugar added apple sauce

Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together and add to dry ingredients. If it seems a little too thick add some sugar free applesauce or water to thin out, but batter will be lumpy. Should be the consistency of any muffin mix. Bake 15-20 +/- min depending on oven. Makes ~18 muffins. 3.1 g fat, 13. g carb (4.9g sugar), 11.4 g protein, 126 calories per muffin

Lemon Blueberry Muffins - similar to Jamie Eason lemon protein bars. THIS IS THE RECIPE THAT NEEDS THE MOST TWEAKING. I think I'm going to use the cranberry orange recipe as a go-by and completely re-do this one. I'll re-post when I'm done.

1 cup of oatmeal processed into flour (will be less than 1 cup when you are done)
4 scoops vanilla protein powder (I use One Titan Complete Nutrition Vanilla Bean, has 240 cal/scoop)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 qt mix Crystal Light Lemonade
4 egg whites (or 12 tbs of egg beaters)
1 cup sugar free applesauce
1 small container of blueberries

Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together and add to dry ingredients. If it seems a little to thick add some sugar free applesauce or water to thin out. Fold in blueberries. Should be the consistency of any muffin mix. Bake 20 +/- min depending on oven. Makes ~18 muffins. 1.1 g fat, 9.9 g carb (5.3g sugar), 11.8 g protein, 108 calories per muffin. The problem with these muffins is that they are crumbly. I think it's a combination of not enough flour. I also don't like the flavor of the crystal light (plus the sugar substitute it has).

Cranberry Orange Muffins - created from a couple of recipes I found online. This is by far my favorite, but carrot cake comes in a close second.

2 cups oatmeal processed into flour (will be less after you process it)
¼ cup sugar (could probably cut out or use less if you wanted less sweet muffins)
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt (optional)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp orange extract (you can also use zest from one orange)
8 tbsp of egg beaters
1/3 cup no sugar added apple sauce
6 oz orange juice (I use Simply Orange, medium pulp with added calcium)
½ cup skim milk
1 cup craisins (rehydrate them by heating them with ½ cup of water for 5-10 min, you can probably also use thaw frozen cranberries or fresh cranberries, but it will be more tart)
Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together. Mix dry and wet ingredients together. Should be the consistency of any muffin mix. Bake 15 +/- min depending on oven. Makes ~24 muffins. 1g fat, 14 g carb (7g sugar), 9 g protein, 103 calories per muffin

Next flavors I want to figure out - Apple cinnamon, raspberry cheesecake, strawberry, zuchinni nut, and gingerbread

Replies

• Glitter969
    Glitter969 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been making banana and raisin protein muffins (my recipe looks very similar to yours), thanks for inspiring me to try out different flavours!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Ive been looking at ways to get more protein into my baking!
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting these. All the recipes sound tasty! I started making protein bars and balls, but I find the bars so difficult to eat because they're no-bake and they melt into goo piles. I need something more portable.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Those are great! Thanks!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    New Lemon Blueberry Muffin Recipe! Enjoy!! This one is SO much better than the first one I posted.

2 cups oatmeal processed into flour (will be less after you process it)
    1/3 cup sugar
    ½ tsp baking soda
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp lemon extract (you can also use zest from 1-2 lemons)
    9 tbsp of egg beaters
    1/3 cup no sugar added apple sauce
    6 oz lemonade (I used Simply Lemondade)
    ½ cup skim milk
    1 package of fresh blueberries (small package, ~1 cup)

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together. Mix dry and wet ingredients together. Should be the consistency of any muffin mix. Bake 10-15 +/- min depending on oven. Makes ~18-24 muffins. 1.3g fat, 13.8 g carb (6.4g sugar), 12.5 g protein, 121 calories per muffin
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes! :flowerforyou:
  • jazzguy4him
    Options
    Bumpage.
  • melanieparker13
    melanieparker13 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I shall be watching this space.
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lovely! Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • hballack
    hballack Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting these. I was wondering about baking with protein powder. I wasn't sure if you were able to heat it without changing the structure.

These recipes sound awesome!
  • jazzguy4him
    Options
    I just made the banana-nut ones. Used Body Fortress vanilla whey, computed the recipe in MFP and 99.9 cals each! Seriously.... These muffins are legit.

Make them... NOW!