Got my BMF today and I'm confused

Options
jc4mee
jc4mee Posts: 40 Member
I have joined MFP within the last couple of weeks and I've done a pretty good job of logging my food and exercise. In the past I've used Spark People and kept up with things well, but would get frustrated as I would show that I should be losing weight according to their calculations and I would plateau for weeks on end. I don't want to do that because I get frustrated and quit. That prompted me to buy the Body Media Fit in hopes that it would help me to get a more accurate picture of what's going on.

When I look at the two programs the numbers don't match as far as calorie goals, so I'm not really sure how many calories I should be trying to eat. For those of you that have used this for awhile, would you suggest using the calorie goals from BodyMedia or My Fitness Pal?
Thanks!

Replies

• zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I started my calorie goals were pretty similar between the two. After I lost 10 pounds or so MFP adjusted and now they are about 100 calories different. MFP being the lower number. Maybe you input a different activity level or your starting weight is different.

In either case, I only use MFP to input food. I don't care about what it says I can and can't eat. I always try to meet my BMF deficit. It can get even more confusing for some people when MFP adjusts based on info from BMF. I generally look at how many calories I have consumed and I check on BMF to make sure I'm meeting my deficit.

Good luck!
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I use the BMF numbers to make sure that I'm at a 300-500 calorie deficit for the day and log my food in MFP.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use the BMF numbers to make sure that I'm at a 300-500 calorie deficit for the day and log my food in MFP.

Ditto. I actually had to set MFP to very active in order for it to agree with BMF, I guess my job is more physical than I thought, LOL.
  • thinagain2014
    thinagain2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm using BMF numbers, set to moderately active. MFP had me eating well below where I needed to be and then if I ate back my exercise calories it was too high. So, now I just meet my BMF goals daily and let the chips fall where they may. I've had mine two weeks and have lost 4lbs (my goal is set for 2lbs per week), I'm right on target so far.

FYI- I am 5'4" and weigh 271.5, my caloric goal is 2250 and my activity goal is 3250 for a 1000 calorie deficit. On days when I'm not very active, I still end up with a 500 or more calorie deficit. Hope this helps.
  • jc4mee
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Think I'll go with BMF calories and see how that works. If I'm not losing, then I'll have to tweak it some. I wish that the iPhone app had the same dashboard as the computer program. Guess it will take a little time to get used to it. So far, so good....
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Think I'll go with BMF calories and see how that works. If I'm not losing, then I'll have to tweak it some. I wish that the iPhone app had the same dashboard as the computer program. Guess it will take a little time to get used to it. So far, so good....

Do you know if you turn it on its side, you get more info.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should go with BMF goals and make sure you keep the desired deficit, but I would suggest that you wear the BMF a couple of weeks before you decide whether they are goals you can reach. Mine were set much too high to begin with and had to be adjusted down (intake and burn). Once the armband actually learned what I burned on average, I was able to adjust the goals down. I reevaluate monthly and adjust as needed. Just keep tracking what you are eating and play with the numbers until you find your sweet spot.

Hope you love yours as much as I love mine!

ETA: Feel free to send a friend request. I'm always interested to hear from others who are responsibly trying to change their lives.
  • jc4mee
    Options

Do you know if you turn it on its side, you get more info.

I just figured that out a little while ago. Thanks!
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Jus ordered my BMF off Amazon last week...havent gotten it yet...but I have a BodyBugg( by Bodymedia)...which is essentially the same thing except it doesnt link to MFP and their food diary sucks...so I have been logging on MFP anyways...and im jealous of that feature so I bought the BMF...cant wait for it to come...
  • jc4mee
    Options
    Jus ordered my BMF off Amazon last week...havent gotten it yet...but I have a BodyBugg( by Bodymedia)...which is essentially the same thing except it doesnt link to MFP and their food diary sucks...so I have been logging on MFP anyways...and im jealous of that feature so I bought the BMF...cant wait for it to come...
    Hope that you like yours as much as I like mine.