Taking Sugar/Sweeteners out of Recipes

Options
Hello all,
I am trying to cut sugar as much as possible, but I usually do some type of dessert once a week (usually Friday or Saturday) because we have company over or something special for my husband and I. I have been looking for recipes with low or no sugar online, but many of them either have cups of agave syrup or artificial sweeteners which I am not happy about using. The only sugar substitute I would feel comfortable using would be stevia, or just use sugar, which I really don't want to use if I don't HAVE to.
So, my question is, can i just remove the sugar/sweetener from the recipe and add a little stevia to replace a bit of the sweet taste without messing up the texture or feel of the food? I am used to the taste of stevia, and it would be so little that I don't think anyone would taste it too much. And if we are having company over, I would use regular sugar anyways, but just for myself and my husband - what do you think? What if I took the agave out, added some water or milk to replace some of that liquid and added a few sprinkles of stevia into the flour?
Anyways, would love to hear your thoughts and trials/successes!

Replies

• kshay89
    kshay89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can generally substitute a 'healthy' sweetner for any refined sweetners out there. A general rule of thumb is to substitue weight, not cups. If a normal recipe calls for a cup of sugar, weigh a cup of sugar on a food scale. Then use that weight as a guide for whatever substitute you are using instead. From what I've read, agave is a good substitute sweetner but if you're hesitant to use it then stevia, natural honey or pure maple syrup will work too.

Sweetner's very rarely affect the consistency of a food (there are a few exceptions, of course), so you can also reduce the amount called for.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use local honey in place of sugar (at about 1/2 the rate); especially for things like banana bread. If honey is not a viable alternative, I often reduce the sugar (I use organic) by 50% because full sugar tastes too sweet. I know honey is still a sweetener, so the answer to your question is...it depends on the recipe. Trial and error is probably your best bet....just have a back up plan for when you have guests...lol
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened apple sauce or juice sometimes, or agave, and sometimes stevia. I never use processed sugar anymore.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Look up "compote" recipes.. they can be made with just fruit.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Stewed apple with cinnamon & lemon juice or a mashed ripe banana are good natural sweet toppings for a dessert or oatmeal.