Does everyone have "one that got away"?

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
I always wondered this because my Nana used to talk about her "one that got away" as did other older people. And, I wondered if I would have one---I don't think of my ex husband as the one that got away- better phrases for him--but I guess there are a couple guys that could fit in this category........

One was when I was in my 2nd year of college and he was stil in high school - a senior- and we dated and I fell fast and hard and then he broke my heart--we dated on and off for the next 2 years and were the best of friends while he was in college. Then we kind of lost touch - I called him and he said " I need to tell you something important" I said "ok" he said "I got married-last weekend". Apparently, he married a girl, basically so she didnt' have to leave the country because he claimed to love her--last I knew they had a little boy together and were still married so -happy for him.

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was my last ex - I was completely in love with him but I realize now that while he's a great guy we're not necessarily a good romantic match. He was a valuable learning experience, helped me realize that my insecurities were out of control and driving the people that I cared about away. Ironically coming into my own confidence is what made me realize I wasn't in love with him anymore, I need someone that has more adventure in their life.

There is one guy I think I've mentioned before. He was a marine I dated for a few months. He was getting out of the military in about 6 months and moving back to Texas, and I was going to stay in CA for school so we just decided to have a really awesome half a year together and go our separate ways. I haven't heard from him in a while since he said he was reconnecting with a girl back home. I do hope he's happy and I think I'll just keep the little fling a fantasy to think back on fondly rather than try to seek anything out and ruining it potentially. :heart:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Not really. My mother talks of one though. Consequently, that's who she named me after. No, my father has no idea either.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    This topic makes me feel a little sad.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Not really. My mother talks of one though. Consequently, that's who she named me after. No, my father has no idea either.

O____________O;

Whyfor?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I guess I have one. He is without question the best boyfriend I ever had. We started dating my junior year of college and broke up nearly 6 years later. Things got really complicated because we had been long distance for 4 years at the time we broke up. He was going through a "quarter-life crisis," as John Mayer might call it. He was depressed to be done with college, living away from all his fraternity brothers, etc., and was basically just hanging out at his parents' house doing nothing.

He wanted to move to Austin and live with me, said he just needed some time to figure out what he wanted to do. I told him he could move here if he wanted, but he was not moving in with me. I was working full-time and going to grad school, and I was just not going to support a guy who didn't have a job and would have no incentive to get one if I was paying the rent, buying the groceries, etc. By then, I was so turned off by how lazy he had gotten, especially in comparison to me busting my *kitten* day in and day out, that it was pretty much the end of our relationship. But I know it was a phase he was going through, and other than that, there was nothing wrong with him. He was exceedingly kind and sensitive, and we had a lot in common. I miss having him in my life, but I will never go down that road with him again. Too much history.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm the one that got away.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Everyone I've ever dated got away. Most because I sent them packing. A few because they had really strong teeth and were able to chew through the restraints I used to tie them down.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Everyone I've ever dated got away. Most because I sent them packing. A few because they had really strong teeth and were able to chew through the restraints I used to tie them down.

Thats why you use steel hancuffs
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

Thats why you use steel hancuffs

Who says I didn't? I am very thankful actually. Do you know what teeth like that can do to sensitive body parts? :huh: YIKES!
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I had one back in High School. Would've done anything for him, talked every night and then he disappeared. Fast forward 10 years and he finds me on facebook. We tried to make something happen and he was the biggest jerk I've ever dated. Glad he "got away".
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    No! Thank heavens. I have been told that I was someone's "one that got away". Awwww. :love:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I was seeing this one guy who is really nice and sweet and funny and smart...I still think about him sometimes and wish maybe I had tried harder.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I think of "one that got away" as someone I ended it with who I regret...in that way No I don't have one.

I do have thoughts about a guy I was pretty smitten with and we hung out a lot but he put the breaks on before we took the next step. I think of him fondly and wonder what could have been...but I doubt he thinks the same way about me.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, my first love. We were together for 5 years. He was awesome and I ended it because I wasnt ready to settle down. I'm still not....lol....but I think life with him would have been less stressful........I dont have regrets but I do think about him a lot lately and think I'm ready for him now I'm much older. He's married with children tho, and I hope he's blissfully happy :heart:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Whyfor?
    It just brings bad memories... I think also that I might have been the "one that got away" a few times and it doesn't feel good to know that I have possibly scarred people I loved and respected so much.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I thought I did, then I saw him again years later.... Everything happens for a reason. :wink:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I thought I did, then I saw him again years later.... Everything happens for a reason. :wink:

Good way to put it!

I was in love with this kid in elementary school and by happenstance we went to college together and he turned out to sort of be a d-bag...
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    No! Thank heavens. I have been told that I was someone's "one that got away". Awwww. :love:

haha this ^

There are a few guys that I wondered "what if" i gave them a chance but definitely not anyone I think was "the one"
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Nope.