I'm so confused.

Options
I'm on this awesome LCHF diet. I lost 8 pounds in a week. Now? I'm still stuck at that weight plateau and I'm entering my third week on this eating plan. I've had slips more than once, although I haven't gone out on a full binge. I've been below 50 carbs every day, usually below 25. I'm really beginning to question this way of life. I'm not feeling as energetic as I was in my first week, but I don't feel unwell, either.

So I've been looking around and researching whether or not this is the right way to live. Of course, there are many sites in favor of it, but even more that are against it. I don't know what to believe. I'm so very confused. This era of information at your fingertips is both wonderful and awful. It is making me question everything. I don't know whether to jump off the bus or keep going. Both ways sound appealing, honestly. Whatever I do decide, I'm not going to be eating wheat any more.

How long should one give a diet, any diet, before giving up?

I need help finding the right path and doing this the right way.

Replies

• ElliieMental
    Options
    I went through this exact same dilemma. I decided to give it up because the cons were starting to outweight the pros.

I missed the gym
    My skin and hair were really oily
    My joints began to ache unbearably
    I was starting to go off foods because my taste buds were changing
    I started making silly mistakes at work
    Hangovers last two days
    My eyes turned yellow
    I missed pizza
    I felt tired and it didn't seem to be shifting

Now these aren't my reasons why I think LCHF is bad, they are the reasons that I gave up because I couldn't bear the side effects for another week longer.

Maybe you should draw up a pros and cons list of your own?

I'm interested to see what replies you get though x
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion on this. I started out committing 2 weeks to detox carbs and sugar. I felt horrible about how I was eating and looking. After 2 weeks, I still felt good, so I went a little longer. After about a month, I started to do some reading and research.

At that time, I came to the realization that we've been lied to as a country. That the USDA recommended food guidelines are BS there to help various food industries, but are not in our health interests. I believe this whole-heartedly (I had a forum post on this a while back about "drinking the low carb kool aid").

When I came to that realization, this switched from being a diet to being a lifestyle. If my weight loss stopped tomorrow, I'd be frustrated and would tweak things, but I wouldn't go back to a so-called "normal" diet. Because I actually believe that this is the right way to eat now, and anything but this is unhealthy.

My sense is that you don't really believe in this as a lifestyle - that in your heart, you believe this is a short-term quick fix solution, and that at some point, you'll get to stop and go back to normal. My opinion here is that this is not a recipe for long term success. I think you have to believe in what you're doing to fully commit. Until that happens there will be slips and reasons to not stay on the program.

Also - you've lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks.
    8 pounds in 2 weeks.
    8 POUNDS IN 2 WEEKS.

Do you not see how awesome that is?

Honey, you're not in a plateau. 1 week (after an 8 pound loss in a single week) is not a plateau. This isn't the biggest loser - we are living real lives here. Weight loss is HARD and it may take a long time. I had this horrible disappointment at my one month mark where I realized that I wasn't going to lose 5 pounds a week on keto. I looked at all these awesome stories of people losing 20 pounds in a month, or 30 pounds in 2 months, and I thought I was failing. And then I realized that 1 1/2 pounds a week would still be good; that 5 pounds a month is still something to strive for. And I reset my expectations. I'm now 6 months in and down 43 pounds. Sure people lose faster, but I feel this is sustainable, and I know, eventually, I will get to my goal. It may take another year or 18 months. But I will get there.

In the end though, you have to believe in this if you're going to make it long term. Read some of Gary Taubes stuff (Why we get Fat and What to do about it). Or even his original article - What if It's a Big Fat Lie (google it - it's free and available). Watch Fathead.

In the end, weight loss is much more of a mental struggle than a physical one.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    First point I will make is to echo Kira. You've lost 8 lbs during the last 2 weeks. That's a lot. That's awesome. That's nothing to be upset with. The fact that it all happened in one week and in the second week you lost nothing doesn't change what you've done.

The second thing I would do is point you to Gary Taubes, Mark Sisson and The Bulletproof Exec. A year ago I knew I had to get healthy and lose weight and improve my fitness. BUt I had NO idea how to do it. I had tried the traditional approaches a several times. You know, reduce your total calorie intake, increase your exercise and it always failed. Eventually the cravings for carbs and sugar and the horrific hunger I would experience would overcome my willpower. So, I knew that I had to find something new ... I just had no idea what it was.

By chance, someone I trusted pointed me towards Gary Taubes. I read "Why We Get Fat" and came to the same realization as Kira. The USDA and Big Food are in bed with each other to sell and promote industrialized food. They have completely distorted the truth about proper human nutrition. It's very difficult to find out the truth, but you can with some effort, reading, research.

Anyhow, that was 11 months ago. For the first time since I got myself overweight and unhealthy in the first place, I have been able to consistently lose fat, increase muscle, improve my health and fitness and appearance. I am down 30 lbs over all, but more like 40 lbs of fat and gained 10 lbs of muscle, roughly, for a net loss of 30 lbs. My weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar and even allergies are massively improved. My wife tells me I'm sexy and she likes my arms ... these are things I had not heard from her for a LONG time. Best of all, other than the time it took me to break the carb/sugar addiction, I have had no food cravings. None. I eat until I am full, rather than counting calories. I eat things I love: steak, pork chops, chicken thighs, eggs, butter, cream, salads, pistachios, olive oil and much more. I still drink wine and vodka, although very moderately these days. I can run 2 miles in 16 minutes and I can do 20 pushups with my feet on a chair, elevated 20 inches above my head. That's pretty good for a 45 year old man who was declared a Type II diabetic, hypertensive and at high risk of heart disease just 12 months ago.

My biggest problem is that I am going to have to spend a fortune replacing all of my suits, slacks, and sports coats.

The third thing I will tell you is that I am not in to "nutritional ketosis" specifically. Sometimes my body is in keto, sometimes it isn't. That doesn't matter a lot to me. What does matter is feeding my body wholesome, real food that my body needs and getting good exercise to get my body fit again.

Figure out what works for you! Don't worry about the rest of us, this is all about you. Investigate how the body functions, what leads to weight gain, what leads to weight loss and what sort of diet you will enjoy that fits into a good nutritional approach to health and fitness.

You might find some value on my blog. I write a lot about the science of the body. Worth a look. I get nothing from that other than the enjoyment of passing along all that I have learned in the hopes that it may help you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EricCowperthwaite
  • chirpinggalaxy
    Options
    Wow. Thank you so much. I'm actually in tears right now.

You're both right. Thank you for giving me a different perspective and things to further research.

I think I have been reading too many stories of people who've lost x amount of pounds in x amount of time. I need to be far more realistic in my expectations of myself. I'm not them. They aren't me.

I've put 2 weeks into this. I've lost 8 pounds! That's pretty cool. Thank you for saying those words. I do feel good. Very good compared to what I felt a month ago.

I think that once I start listening to my body more and learning my hunger/full cues better, I'll do better. I need to get out of this "eat until your plate is clear" mentality with which I was raised.

I'll continue what I'm doing and let things happen. My body will do what it does and I can control what goes in, but it'll take time for my body to do what it needs to do.

Thank you. You've helped me immensely. :heart:
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    You're welcome!

You know the hardest thing? At least it was for me. To actually believe that there was a way of eating and living that worked for the my body and to trust in that long enough for it to make the changes.

Sorry, forgot to give you links to my recommended reading

Gary Taubes - http://www.garytaubes.com/
    Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Apple) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
    The Bulletproof Exec - http://www.bulletproofexec.com/

Feel free to add me as an MFP friend if you want, also.
  • chirpinggalaxy
    Options
    I think I'm so used to seeing and hearing about the SAD that it's hard for me to see that there are other ways out there that work.

Another thing working against me is that my husband and 2 kids are still eating "normal" carb-laden foods. I'm not going to push them into this, but I'm hoping that any results I achieve will urge (primarily) my husband into this lifestyle. I think if that happens, I can ease the kids into it, although I won't cut things such as fruit for them.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    YAY! (High Five Eric - I feel like we've saved someone from going back to the dark side!) :-)

Seriously though - whenever I see one of those people who've lost super-fast and huge amounts of weight, I take note of their age. *Most* are young chickees in their teens and twenties. That's just not the reality for most of us that are a little older. Women too seem to get special challenges and tend to lose slower. So be patient with yourself. Set reasonable goals. Mine was 1 1/2 pounds a week, and I've dropped that to 1.25 pounds a week. But there are still weeks I don't lose anything (or, like this week, am up a pound), but others will be down 2.5 pounds. This is the hard part of the journey where you do the math and realize that that this could be a long journey - but it is one that you can complete.

You can do it. You WILL do it.
  • sunryse00
    sunryse00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Another thing working against me is that my husband and 2 kids are still eating "normal" carb-laden foods.

I eat low carb and cook for the whole family. I usually only cook one meal with a meat, a starch and a vegetable. I eat the meat and vegetable the family eats the starch. Once in a while I'll slip in a cauliflower casserole or cauliflower mashed in place of the starch and they eat it up and seem to do just fine. If it's something like pizza I make a regular crust pizza and a low carb pizza. If they want something really carby I'll just make myself something else that's easy.

Today my daughter came home from school and asked what I'd been baking. I'd made LC peanut butter cookies and some LC peanut butter cups. She happily took some and off she went. Said they were good too.

Kids and husbands will usually eat whatever you put in front of them as long as it tastes fairly good and you don't make a big deal out of it being "diet" food.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have experienced similar frustrations -- but I want to encourage you to stick with it. I lost 15 pounds right away in the first month and then seemed to plateau for the next month or so -- however, even though the scale is moving slowly, I really am seeing a difference in my body by the week. I am working out (doing some cardio and some strength training) and I can tell I'm getting stronger all the time. Sometimes it takes time for the scale to catch up with your loss. Don't give up and really give keto a shot. Also do your own research and make sure you're giving keto a fair chance. I realized I was not eating enough calories or enough healthy fats, so I recently adjusted that and it's really making a difference.