SERIOUSLY???? TOPIC: Fat Girls Are A Men's Best Friend?

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
Came across this while searching for a post about a cheating coworker.
Was posted in the "Motivation and Support" forum. Doesn't feel very supportive and motivating to me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/798748-fat-girls-are-a-men-s-best-friend?
"Years ago, I had a conversation with a group of my close male friends and the age old question came up: Can men and women really be just friends? My boy Otto said, “No way! Guys always want to sleep with their female friends.” My friend Steve interjected, “Of course! I have a platonic female friends and I love them to death.” But then my friend Yorell said, “Yes, men can have platonic female friends, but only with women that are unattractive. If she’s pretty, there is no way you can be just her friend. That doesn’t mean it’s not a genuine friendship, but if you get the opportunity to smash, you will. Unless … she’s ugly.”

The conversation continued with everyone adding in their opinions, but Yorell’s statement had me stunned. Throughout my life I have always had a bunch of close male friends. Ever since I was a little girl, members of the male species have always wanted to be my best friend. Obviously there’s something about me that all men love. I think I’ve finally figured it out: they love my fat! Did being plus-size instantly put me in the “ugly and unattractive” female friend category?

Come on, let’s be real about this: lots of men have a fat girl they hang out with, confide in about their insecurities and fears, and invite over for quality friendship time. Sometimes she’ll even spend the night. They love to cuddle and feel the jiggly warmth of her fat rolls. And, oh my God, she actually has breasts! Big ones, pretty ones! But she’s just his friend. His best friend. Right?

She’s funny, extremely intelligent and he loves her. He probably even secretly wants to sleep with her, but he can’t — she’s fat! His other male friends would never approve of his fat girlfriend because all men know if forced to choose one extreme, it is better to be miserable and bored with a beautiful woman who has a banging body than it is to be fulfilled and happy with a fat chick! Plus, a guy can always have a skinny woman as his main squeeze and keep the fat girl as the best friend, because his girlfriend would never think he would cheat on her with the Big Girl! Even though deep in her heart, his girlfriend knows that he loves and respects the fat girl in ways that she may never receive, she doesn’t mind. After all, she’s the catch.

After years of being the surrogate fat girlfriend for a bunch of guys that probably secretly love me, but won’t date me, you would think that I would be bitter. But I’m not. Actually, I feel blessed because I have become an expert on men and relationships. I get to know the inner workings of men in ways that most women never will. Men tell me everything! Even things that their male friends will never know about them, I know. From my close male friends that work on Wall Street all the way to my home boy that works in construction, I have the hearts of men. We don’t have romantic relationships, but I get their respect and love, which many times is more than the girlfriends that come and go in their lives ever will. (Also, before you write me saying “I am a big girl, and men love to date me,” trust me, I GET IT. I date all the time, and have plenty of male fans. But I’m referring to the guys who are afraid to go there, not the ones that go there all of the time.)

Recently, the long-term girlfriend of one of my male friends called me to see how things were going. I told her that I was trying to lose weight for health reasons and she said “Girl, you’re not hanging around my boyfriend when you lose weight. He loves you too much, and if you get thick I know I’m out of the picture!”
Now, I know she was just kidding, but it did make me think. While my weight has been a burden in some ways, it has also made people feel “safe.” Will losing weight mean that I will also lose the coveted position of being every man’s fat best friend? DANGER! BEWARE! All men watch out for the shrinking fat girl: You may actually fall in love!

As a joke, a friend of mine forwarded me an ad on Craigslist. A guy who described himself as shy and not able to meet women wanted a BBW (Big Beautiful Woman) to be his wingwoman. He was searching for an attractive, full-figured woman to go with him to bars and help him meet women. Of course I couldn’t resist applying for the job. Not because I was really interested, but because I wanted to know why he wanted a fat female best friend.

He told me that full-figured women are much more easy-going. He’s a former college athlete who plays ball overseas and he was tired of “model chicks,” because they were high-maintenance. So I asked him, “If you like the personality of a BBW, how about you put up an ad to date one?”
“----, I never thought of that!” he responded.

Go figure. (No pun intended.)

I recently got a great Groupon deal to join an amazing gym. One day, while I was working out, I realized that I have the possibility to lose more than just weight. It’s not just the size of my waist that will change, but my relationships and the way people relate to me will change as well. I love all of my male friends, and I’ve been “one of the guys” for so long that I don’t know how to be anything else. What will I do if losing weight also means losing the place I have in my friends’ lives and their hearts? Am I ready for that?
Now, don’t get me wrong: plenty of men like plus-sized women and I meet them all the time. It’s not like I’m some ugly duckling that gets no play. At the same time, while most of my close male friends would say that they are not typically attracted to plus-size women, many of them have found themselves being attracted to my mind and spirit, but my weight may have held them back.

So this time the question is not Can men and women be friends? Instead, it’s Can men and former fat girls stay friends? We shall see. I haven’t lost any male friends yet, but I did lose five more pounds! "
http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-11-15/girl-talk-fat-girls-are-a-mans-best-friend/

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I.... have no words.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I was worried she was going to choose to stay overweight to keep these said 'best friends'.
    Wow!!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    She started off making some sense and then got real weird real quick. I skipped ahead some and got to the part about her responding to the craigslist ad, at least that got a chuckle out of me, but I don't think that was her intention.

Also, the link made all the instances of "friend" bolded. It took me a minute to figure that out and I was wondering if there was something wrong with my eyes. So now my brain hurts and my vision is blurry.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Also, the link made all the instances of "friend" bolded.

Fixed it
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    Also, the link made all the instances of "friend" bolded.

Fixed it

Aw man, I was hoping someone else would think they were going crazy too.
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    This is disturbing. This can not be real. I need to survey all of my male friends now, and ask them if they liked me better when I was fat.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have female friends that were thin and became overweight, and that were overweight then lost weight. My feelings towards them never changed for me. Wait, no, that's not entirely true. I'll admit, the ones that were overweight and then lost weight in some cases, I was happy and proud of them. Aside from being healthier and more active, they became more outgoing, smiled more, positive attitude, etc etc. And yes, I know being overweight doesn't always mean you are also unhealthy and unfit. I think I also related to them more. I know weight loss can be a difficult struggle for some peeps. However, weight changes, whether increased or decreased, never changed my feelings, i.e. possible gf/love towards any of them.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    If that's how she feels about herself, then I dont really care to argue the point. As the saying goes, you get back what you give out! :huh:
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I think you have classic fat girl syndrome going on. This girl is both overvaluing and undervaluing her self worth. I truly doubt there are hoards of guys who love her and respect her and would be more than friends if she wasn't so fat. I also truly doubt any of those guys would think less of her if she lost the weight. There may be one or two but this post makes it sound like there are hundreds. Part of me is offended that she makes men sound so shallow. Part of me is sad for her that she considers these guys she thinks so little of as her friends and part of me is sad for her male friends who probably have no idea how little she thinks of them.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    This made my head hurt....... I've had male friends most of my life and at my skinniest and my heaviest they have never treated me any differently... Of course I've known most of these guys 15+ years but still....
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Meh, well she seems to have a weird ego/confidence thing going on but not all at the same time.
    Whatever I'm the fat girl..I didn't grow up with that many guy friends. I think that men and women can be friends even people who aren't ugly lol
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    Yeah, ultimately I don't get her point. I have female friends of all shapes and sizes and sexual preferences. Is she trying to say that it is easier to be friends with someone that you would not also have sex with, if given the chance? I disagree with that point as well. It's easiest to be friends with someone that has mutual hobbies and a complimentary personality. That could be anyone.
  • nhsoprano
    nhsoprano Posts: 129
    Options
    I think she's trying to put a positive spin on feeling rejected her entire life based on her size? I really can't fathom any other reason to write something like that. Unfortunately it isn't coming across as positive. She just sounds kind of bitter. Every woman has had male friends who don't ever try to sleep with them. The thing is, there are a lot of different reasons for it. I really don't think that every man with whom I am friends is secretly in love with me. That's just nuts.
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    I think she's trying to put a positive spin on feeling rejected her entire life based on her size? I really can't fathom any other reason to write something like that. Unfortunately it isn't coming across as positive. She just sounds kind of bitter. Every woman has had male friends who don't ever try to sleep with them. The thing is, there are a lot of different reasons for it. I really don't think that every man with whom I am friends is secretly in love with me. That's just nuts.

Yeah, but there is a difference between being secretly in love and whether or not they would have sex with you if given the random opportunity. I'd like to think that I'm not completely instinct-driven and wouldn't be physically unable to refuse sex if I thought it would jeopardize a friendship. But there is definitely something to the thought that men would have sex with a platonic friend - but that doesn't mean that is why the friendship exists.
  • nhsoprano
    Options

Yeah, but there is a difference between being secretly in love and whether or not they would have sex with you if given the random opportunity. I'd like to think that I'm not completely instinct-driven and wouldn't be physically unable to refuse sex if I thought it would jeopardize a friendship. But there is definitely something to the thought that men would have sex with a platonic friend - but that doesn't mean that is why the friendship exists.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I did not explain myself very well. I have guy friends who I would definitely sleep with if I felt it wouldn't ruin the friendship or at the very least make things awkward. I am totally not in love with them, nor is the fact that I think they are pretty the reason I am friends with them.

As far as the love thing, I was really just saying this girl is a little wacked out if she actually thinks all of her guy friends are secretly in love with her. Or she is just playing things up in her mind to take the sting of her perceived rejection away.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Actually, a guy I've known for 20 years (we are attracted to each other and if the opportunity arose I reckon sex would happen!) asked me if I thought sex would ruin our friendship. I said No!

If you let these things affect your friendship, then they will. Personally, I'd rather sleep with a friend than a stranger if it came to it!!

Hence the true meaning of 'friends with benefits'! :bigsmile:
  • nhsoprano
    Options
    Anna -- you are so right! Really the guy friends I was talking about are in my church circles and virgins. Um, yeah that would be awkward!

I have had guy friends in the past who ended up being "with benefits". It was fantastic, actually! No awkwardness, just plain fun!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Hmmm interesting. I have never had a "friend with benefits", but have been told many times something along the lines of (this is actually an exact quote from the most recent guy I had a crush on), "you're the most f**king awesome person I've ever met, but I'm just not physically attracted to you". Now that he's "chatting up a cute female", I haven't heard from him in days, whereas before we were still talking every day because I'm at a loss for friends.

I've also had guys tell me they do like me but they're embarrassed to be seen with me. God, this article sadly sums up my life. I'm the cool fat girl you can play video games and watch sports with.

Signed,
    -the girl who has never been skinny
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I could have written most of that original post. Been there, had those thoughts. I think there is a common psychological thing that keeps heavier women from losing weight... the weight makes us safe both to and from the men we're attracted to as friends. There is a fear associated with losing weight because 'everything is going to change'... well, at least everything has the potential to change. Part of overcoming that fear is admitting that things could change. People process that admission in different ways... I don't find it unusual in the least.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I could have written most of that original post. Been there, had those thoughts. I think there is a common psychological thing that keeps heavier women from losing weight... the weight makes us safe both to and from the men we're attracted to as friends. There is a fear associated with losing weight because 'everything is going to change'... well, at least everything has the potential to change. Part of overcoming that fear is admitting that things could change. People process that admission in different ways... I don't find it unusual in the least.

I completely agree with you. People fear change in any respect. I'm one who accepts change in almost every area. But with weight it's different and I'm one who tends to self-sabotage as soon as I start to see a major difference (I had lost 60 pounds as of last spring, sabotaged myself and gained 40 back). I guess at least I admit it? But, that's another topic for another thread :)