10 Days of Real Food Challenge

Options
jmort29
jmort29 Posts: 6 Member
Has anyone tried the 10 Days of Real Food challenge from the 100 Days of Real Food website? What was the hardest part? I want to try following the rules they outline but am a little nervous about being able to stick with it -- especially the sugar part because I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to sugar. I bought some coconut sugar to try for a sweetener - that's considered "clean" right? Not sure what I'm going to use it for but thought it might come in handy. I know honey and pure maple sugar are also good, clean sweeteners. Looking for anyone's feedback about the challenge!

Replies

• jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I read thru the website and made a few of the recipes. Actually, there were several that sounded great but did not translate so well. The egg muffin bakes were good though. The breadmaker bread and the pizza crust were a fail....and I have made tortillas before, but this one didn't work out either. It might have been me or the yeast,. I also went grocery shopping and the grocery list was helpful, but i don't know how she stayed on budget. I decided I would do better if I just tried to choose better than go all out. Hope this helps...my eyes are tired from reading labels. Could they print this stuff any smaller
    !?!
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the website.. Does that challenge involve cutting sugar completely? I would be a little wary of that. As with most things in life (excluding the obviously dangerous stuff of course,) I usually go for moderation with things like sweeteners. Sounds like you already like using the good ones like honey. I say stick to that!
  • mocatinho
    mocatinho Posts: 65
    Options
    I haven't tried the challenged entirely. I am trying to cut as mush processed food out of my diet as possible but I do eat out alot and it get's difficult at times. However I found the site had some great points of reference and the recommended readings are great. I did make the granola ceral and I love it. I have it with a little almond milk or on my yogurt.
  • SallyJoT
    SallyJoT Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have not done her specific challenge, however, I really like her blog site. She has yummy and clean recipes that my kids enjoy too. Sucanat (dehydrated cane syrup) is clean and can be found at stores like whole foods. Good luck with the challenge.
  • handerson2005
    handerson2005 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I see this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I wanted to pop in and say that we're on day 3 right now. The hardest part has been changing the way we think about food. Giving up sugar hasn't been too bad yet - we've eaten a little more fruit to get that "sweet". I've made a couple of the recipes and have had success - especially the whole wheat tortillas (no yeast)! The bread machine whole wheat bread was a flop for me, but I'm ok with that. It's also the first time I've used that machine. I'll likely just buy bread from Great Harvest. It's a lot easier. :)

I will say, as of the morning of day 3, I'm down almost 2 lbs and have been more regular... if you get what I'm saying. Also, I'm hoping to be able to get better sleep as that's something I have a problem with. We'll see how it goes.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    they have a group here called 100 days of real food here on mfp. its not active like it should be though
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I read thru the website and made a few of the recipes. Actually, there were several that sounded great but did not translate so well. The egg muffin bakes were good though. The breadmaker bread and the pizza crust were a fail....and I have made tortillas before, but this one didn't work out either. It might have been me or the yeast,. I also went grocery shopping and the grocery list was helpful, but i don't know how she stayed on budget. I decided I would do better if I just tried to choose better than go all out. Hope this helps...my eyes are tired from reading labels. Could they print this stuff any smaller
    !?!

I didn't try the breadmaker bread, but we had great success with both the pizza crust and the tortillas. I think I had to tweak the pizza dough a little bit though....it was so long ago that I made it that I don't remember! But I do remember that it was delicious.