cereal

snowgrrl83
snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to eat cleaner. I'm soooo sick of oatmeal. I've eaten it a lot this past winter. I need a new cereal. I want something that has no added sugar. Maple syrup is ok but no other refined sugars please!
I'm looking for a clean cereal that has ingredients that I understand and can read...lol.
Any ideas?

Replies

• Besides Bob's Red Mill gluten free steel cut oats, my second favorite cereal is Perky's nut and gluten free Crunchy Flax by Enjoy Life. Along with rice milk, add some fruit and maybe some pumpkin seeds......ya can't go wrong. Yum!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    I like grits and cream of wheat.
  • LolaVersion2
    LolaVersion2 Posts: 114 Member
    Do your local health stores carry puffed wheat, brown rice, spelt or kamut cereals? They taste and look similar to Rice Krispies, but with only one ingredient: the grain. You could top with berries and add nut butter to make them more flavorful and substantial. Look up Nature's Path cereals.

Have you thought about protein smoothies? I drink those when my oats become boring. Check my diary!
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    I really LOVE Ezekiel grain cereal.
    It only has 10 ingredients, no sugar, and it tastes AMAZING with almond milk and fruit!

Ingredients: Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Filtered Water, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    I love cracked wheat. It makes a very healthy and filling cereal. I eat it plain but you can add fruit/honey/brown sugar/whatever. For now I use Bob's Red Mill cracked wheat. http://www.bobsredmill.com/cereals/ Later this year I'll be getting a grain grinder and then will grind my own.
  • fitsebtownmama
    fitsebtownmama Posts: 14 Member
    KIND cereals! YUMMY!
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Kashi GoLean

they even explain all the different grains and oats on the back. they have all different types of flavors honey one is the best:)
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    I made no oatmeal this morning from nuts, cinnamon egg and banana. Google Mike's Daily Apple no oatmeal :)
  • tarriharris5
    tarriharris5 Posts: 74 Member
    image_zps35cfd7a2.jpg
  • tarriharris5
    tarriharris5 Posts: 74 Member
    image_zps35cfd7a2.jpg
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    I really like Cascadia Farm Organic Raisin Bran.
  • mocatinho
    mocatinho Posts: 65
    I made this recipe last week - I got it off the 100daysofrealfood.com blog -

Recipe: Granola Bars / Cereal (the perfect substitute for all those boxed cereals)

Serves: makes 3 lbs

Recipe adapted from Anson Mills

Ingredients
    •3½ cups rolled oats (if you want bars use steel cut oats so it will stick together better)
    •1 cup raw sliced almonds
    •1 cup raw cashew pieces (or walnuts or pecans)
    •1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I could only find unsweetened at Earth Fare, which is similar to Whole Foods)
    •½ cup raw sunflower seeds
    •½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
    •2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    •1½ teaspoons ground ginger
    •½ teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
    •6 tablespoons unsalted butter
    •½ cup honey
    •2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    •½ teaspoon salt
    •Also need – parchment paper

Instructions
    1.Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Cover a rectangular baking sheet with parchment paper.
    2.Mix the dry oats, almonds, cashews, coconut, seeds and spices together in a large mixing bowl.
    3.Heat the butter and honey together in a small saucepan over low heat. Once the butter melts stir in the vanilla and salt.
    4.Pour the hot liquids over the dry ingredients and stir together with a rubber spatula until evenly coated.
    5.Spread mixture onto prepared pan in one even layer. Bake for 75 minutes.
    6.The granola will become crisp as it cools at which point you can break into pieces (if making bars) or break it up into small chunks by pounding it in a zip lock bag (if making cereal). Store in air tight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
  • arkgirl81
    arkgirl81 Posts: 30 Member
    I looked forever to find a normal/basic cereal. Rice Krispies Brown rice- Gluten Free. I think the only ing is brown rice. Love them if i'm in a hurry or need a late night snack. So many of the "health" cereals, still have tons of stuff (and calories). This is easy.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Personally, I'd avoid the grains. They disappear on me too early, and I end up starvin marvin at 10am and looking for a fix. I prefer eggs, or bacon and eggs, or sausages, or something that actually has a dense, energy rich profile. That holds me throughout the day.

I'd avoid any product from a major company as well, especially Kellogs. They're bad news.
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Hi there, I've just joined this group. When I crave a sweet breakfast, (which isn't that often if you look at my diary - don't judge me on Sundays entry) I keep this in the cupboard "Superfood Cereal Cacao Crunch" It's vegan, raw and organic.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    What about pancakes?

I make buckwheat pancakes:

Heaped tablespoon organic buckwheat flour
    1 organic egg
    Half mug almond milk
    Tiny bit of coconut oil for frying

Makes about 2 pancakes and from memory is about 190 cals. You can add yoghurt, honey, nuts...anything :)