Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    happy 10k!
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sara, your posts offer that which is most uncommon of all......common sense. Thank you!
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Well said Sara!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this Sara. Timely for me too. I often become discouraged when looking at all the beautiful folks on here (like yourself and dizzle, etc)...it takes time and effort. We all want the quick fix and the level path, no inclines. Also having once been in the midst of eating disorders, the mind can play very, very awful tricks on one...it's all that negative talk. But seeing posts like this and most of your other ones, as well as many in this group and others, brings everything into perspective.

: )
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. It came at a good time for me because my motivation is severely lacking.
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Sara, this post is fabulous. I just started lifting about 2 months ago and I often look at other stats/body etc and think to myself WHY ISNT THAT ME?

Like you said, it is so so important for all of us to look back to where we've come from.. I often giggle about how I struggled benching the 45lb bar in the beginning :) Thank you so much for this
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add this because I believe it's fitting for this thread;

"Comparison is the thief of happiness".

Eleanor Roosevelt
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add this because I believe it's fitting for this thread;

"Comparison is the thief of happiness".

Eleanor Roosevelt

Very fitting - thank you
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, Sara; I did not see this yesterday. You are awesome. I will keep on keepin' on. :)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. It was just what I needed to read today!
  • LdyPsych
    LdyPsych Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Just thanks :smile:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Beautiful and what a healthy point of view :)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I think you're awesome and I loved this post!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Adding the following thread to this one with the OPs permission - it is a great view on why we should not focus too much on trying to look like people in the media - even they do not look like those people in the media!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/982475-this-is-a-photoshop-signed-a-graphic-artist-with-pics

Adding to the original post.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Do not let other people’s stats make you feel like you are not as good or weak. That is not the case. You are just at a different stage and may have very different priorities or life circumstances.

TL;DR version. Use others as inspiration, but not as a gauge to *your* success or achievements. Also, when the going gets tough, focus on how far you have progressed in all your goals, not just weight loss. Above all, as always…be patient.

This is exactly what I tell myself when I see Mommies that dropped the baby weight immediately. Thanks for this!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Oh i needed to read this today! Thanks Sara :)
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, Sara :)

Refraining from comparing myself to others has always been hard, but it's been even more difficult since joining MFP. Being able to see everyone's pictures, diaries, and stats has really made me feel like I'm doing it wrong. Too many calories, not enough calories, too heavy, too light, skinny fat, bulky, not lifting enough, not running enough, not clean enough, not paleo enough, not pretty enough, not good enough...

Your post really helped to push all of that garbage out of my head and made me smile. I'll probably need to go back and re-read it once a week or so, just to keep sane!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to read later...

...because all the cool kids are doing it.