SERIOUSLY???? TOPIC: Fat Girls Are A Men's Best Friend?

Options

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I could have written most of that original post. Been there, had those thoughts. I think there is a common psychological thing that keeps heavier women from losing weight... the weight makes us safe both to and from the men we're attracted to as friends. There is a fear associated with losing weight because 'everything is going to change'... well, at least everything has the potential to change. Part of overcoming that fear is admitting that things could change. People process that admission in different ways... I don't find it unusual in the least.

Agree 100%. It's hard to have your whole life view change. It really is amazing to have everything change in your life.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    As far as the love thing, I was really just saying this girl is a little wacked out if she actually thinks all of her guy friends are secretly in love with her. Or she is just playing things up in her mind to take the sting of her perceived rejection away.

LOL, yeah this girl is more than a little wacked out. :)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ultimately I don't get her point. I have female friends of all shapes and sizes and sexual preferences. Is she trying to say that it is easier to be friends with someone that you would not also have sex with, if given the chance? I disagree with that point as well. It's easiest to be friends with someone that has mutual hobbies and a complimentary personality. That could be anyone.

You are very good looking and I enjoy reading your posts.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

I've also had guys tell me they do like me but they're embarrassed to be seen with me.

They are f-ing douche bags.. omg I hope you didn't give them another ounce of anything...wow...
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I could have written most of that original post. Been there, had those thoughts. I think there is a common psychological thing that keeps heavier women from losing weight... the weight makes us safe both to and from the men we're attracted to as friends. There is a fear associated with losing weight because 'everything is going to change'... well, at least everything has the potential to change. Part of overcoming that fear is admitting that things could change. People process that admission in different ways... I don't find it unusual in the least.

Agree 100%. It's hard to have your whole life view change. It really is amazing to have everything change in your life.

Not relating this to the original post, but I totally agree. When I embarked on my weight loss journey I was excited for the self esteem I would gain from losing weight, etc. I knew that would change (or I assumed it would) but WOW I didn't expect for everything else to come up to the surface. It is hard to realize and accept how much you hid behind your weight. I had no idea what I was about to uncover, and how much more I really had to work on. Losing weight did increase my self esteem, but it didn't make me a perfect match for men, nor even yield me more response from men, but it sure showed me how much more inside of me I needed to fix and value to realize I was better than any of the men I was attracting.. I am babbling now.... I would never change any of this for the world, but had I have known what I was going to uncover I may have been scared too.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Not relating this to the original post, but I totally agree. When I embarked on my weight loss journey I was excited for the self esteem I would gain from losing weight, etc. I knew that would change (or I assumed it would) but WOW I didn't expect for everything else to come up to the surface. It is hard to realize and accept how much you hid behind your weight. I had no idea what I was about to uncover, and how much more I really had to work on. Losing weight did increase my self esteem, but it didn't make me a perfect match for men, nor even yield me more response from men, but it sure showed me how much more inside of me I needed to fix and value to realize I was better than any of the men I was attracting.. I am babbling now.... I would never change any of this for the world, but had I have known what I was going to uncover I may have been scared too.

Great way to put it...losing weight did teach me a lot about myself, namely that I did hide somewhat behind my weight.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Umm. Well yeah, I'm at a loss - in the beginning I think she made relevant points (in regard her own life/situation), but then as another poster said it kinda got wayward from there.

I dunno, I sort of feel like I am that girl she describes in the beginning, "just one of the guys", almost all of my friends are males, they all tell me their secrets and things they've done/want to do, but I'm never "good enough" for them to actually date - just a really good friend they can rely on sooo much, blah blah blah.

I think any person, regardless of weight has "mind set back" on whether someone they're interested in will be interested back in them in more than just a platonic way.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I think any person, regardless of weight has "mind set back" on whether someone they're interested in will be interested back in them in more than just a platonic way.
    Not that anyone (regardless of their weight) has to hang around someone who is only interested in them in a platonic way either... I mean, it's your choice too.
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    I both agree and disagree with the op. In high school and uni I had a good number of male friends, but I don't believe any had interest in me. I understand too the weird self -esteem issues / over-confidence thing she has going on too.
    I have gotten so much more attention since losing some weight. But my confidence and self -assurance has also risen. I am happier. I hide less. I can do more things.
    I think this is an individual with low self esteem who while seemingly acknowledges how weight negatively affects her life, also uses it as an excuse and crutch (not a judgment here- I have done same). She says basically the only reason hordes of male friends aren't completely in love with her is weight. But I am willing she wants to, but doesn't really want to find out if that is the case. What if she loses the weight but is still alone? My bet is she is dealing with a whole lot more than extra weight. It goes to the core question of being loveable and worthy or not..which is tied to shame and fear and what better way to numb those feelings than with food.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I both agree and disagree with the op. In high school and uni I had a good number of male friends, but I don't believe any had interest in me. I understand too the weird self -esteem issues / over-confidence thing she has going on too.
    I have gotten so much more attention since losing some weight. But my confidence and self -assurance has also risen. I am happier. I hide less. I can do more things.
    I think this is an individual with low self esteem who while seemingly acknowledges how weight negatively affects her life, also uses it as an excuse and crutch (not a judgment here- I have done same). She says basically the only reason hordes of male friends aren't completely in love with her is weight. But I am willing she wants to, but doesn't really want to find out if that is the case. What if she loses the weight but is still alone? My bet is she is dealing with a whole lot more than extra weight. It goes to the core question of being loveable and worthy or not..which is tied to shame and fear and what better way to numb those feelings than with food.

DING DING we have a winner..I used my wt as an excuse for years..because I was fearful that deep down something else was wrong in me and that was why I was alone..Well it turns out that is probably right but I still don't know what it is lmao. But I totally can see this.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I think there is a common psychological thing that keeps heavier women from losing weight... the weight makes us safe both to and from the men we're attracted to

Exactly. I find the OP very unremarkable, in fact. Some, though probably not all, of her male friends who "don't go there" probably would find her attractive if she were thinner. Some might never be physically-attracted to her, regardless of her shape and size, and some may be genuinely attracted to her now, but too concerned with appearances/social expectation, as she observes, to be comfortable having a romantic relationship with her.

I also don't find the ego/self-blame contradiction as odd as many of you seem to - self-esteem is not one isolated block - self esteem is related to a whole variety of things, and an individual can have very high self-esteem in some areas of their life, but very low self-esteem in another. Two contradictory areas of self-esteem need not necessarily be affected by each other.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I saw this article about a year ago and coincidentally someone posted it again yesterday. Sort of related to this topic.
    Hello you all. This is an article copied from the link below in which a woman talks about the social stigma of losing 100 lbs. I have read this multiple times. I'm interested in hearing what some of you think about it.

"I come from a small-ish town in Oklahoma where we’ve never met a vegetable we couldn’t fry and the only thing more super-sized than our portions are the huge church complexes that alternate with fast-food restaurants along our roads.
    So it maybe isn’t such a big surprise that by the time I graduated from high school, I weighed 260 pounds. My prom dress was a size 24, and my mother had to help me zip it up, a five-minute ordeal during which we grunted and cursed at one another. My aunt had to custom-make my graduation gown, a huge white tent in which I resembled the Stay-Puft marshmallow man. Still, I left for college in New York City feeling relatively confident. After all, I wasn’t just fat. I was also stylish, managing to alter and combine pieces in a way where they overcame their origins as shapeless sacks designed by people with the gall to decorate plus-size garments with ice-cream cones and slices of pizza. And I was hilarious, *****y and sexually brash, defense mechanisms mastered by fat women and gay men everywhere.
    I wasn’t immune — hurtful things would happen on occasion. Groups of rowdy teenagers sometimes yelled insults at me from car windows. I gave my phone number to a nice guy, only to find out when he called that he had a fetish for overweight women, shamelessly telling me that he likes “something to grab onto” during sex. Or someone would approach me out of nowhere on the street and tell me not to worry about how I look; someday — when I’m ready — I’ll lose the weight. And of course, I compared myself endlessly to the impossibly thin women in magazines, just like the average-weight women I knew, to whom I also, by the way, compared myself.
    Despite these blows to your self-esteem, for the most part nobody close to you really tells you to your face what they think about your weight. As a result, a fat girl’s worldview is missing vital pieces of information. When you don’t get invited on your friends’ man-catching all-girl outings, or when men who enjoy sleeping with you over and over again fail to want to date you, you can’t quite comprehend that all this is really caused by the way you look.
    But then, the summer before my junior year of college, something changed. I made a promise to myself to diet just for one summer, and for the first time I saw results. On a low-carb plan, I started melting away, shrinking inwards. I began to grow collarbones and hipbones, sprouting bony, sharp spots all over my body. By the end of the summer, I was 50 pounds lighter, and within a year I was down to 160 pounds on my 5’11″ frame, a solid size 10.
    It’s been six years now that I’ve maintained that weight loss, and it is far and away the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. Not because I’m healthier and will probably live longer, but because I now reap the benefits of a society set up to punish fat people for the unforgivable crime of eating too much.
    I hear the fat jokes right out loud now, instead of just a whispering breeze brushing past my ear. Men who used to let the door swing shut in my face now hold it open for me politely and look me up and down as I step past. My own boyfriend, a man I began dating a few months after reaching my goal weight, sees the picture on my driver’s license and admits he probably wouldn’t have gone out with me when I looked like that. I appreciate his honesty. It’s better than the good-intentioned people who gush upon seeing the new me, “You’re so pretty now!” before stammeringly adding, “Not that you weren’t, uh, pretty before.”
    Finding yourself suddenly thin after a lifetime of being fat is a bit like stepping into that “Saturday Night Live” sketch where Eddie Murphy goes undercover as a white guy and discovers that white people act completely differently when there are no black people around. With no outward sign of my former body type, I became a renegade spy for Team F.A.T.
    Of course, I didn’t discover that thin people drink cocktails and dance when fat people get off the bus. But when I lost weight, I was rewarded with membership in a club I never knew existed, where the benefits included better treatment, greater professional success and, above all, a new status as qualified participant in the social world including romantic relationships.
    Of course, I lost weight to reap these benefits. But it doesn’t stop me from being angry that I had to lose weight to reap these benefits. Of those who are nice to me now, who would have been rude to me before? Which ones made the cruel jokes? Who can be trusted?
    As the years pass, it is easy to forget. I have even, on a few occasions, found myself looking at an overweight person with faint disdain, forgetting those years I struggled with the very same issue. I hope never to gain back the weight I lost. But I have seen another side of people that I cannot forget. And with any luck, I never will.
    I hope I always stay fat on the inside."
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    (Quoting the article)
    Despite these blows to your self-esteem, for the most part nobody close to you really tells you to your face what they think about your weight. As a result, a fat girl’s worldview is missing vital pieces of information.
    Well, I am surprised as I thought it wasn't news to anyone that "fit" people are generally more desirable physically.
    I remember that when someone posted an article from a blog about the fact that, from the point of view of a man looking at women, beauty is controllable and about 80% of it is weight some people got upset.
    But it is simply true that our society, on average, is attracted physically to fit rather than fat.
    (Do people still think otherwise?)
    When you don’t get invited on your friends’ man-catching all-girl outings, or when men who enjoy sleeping with you over and over again fail to want to date you, you can’t quite comprehend that all this is really caused by the way you look.
    I think there are a few flaws in this line of reasoning (for example: a lot of men will pretty much always enjoy sleeping with a girl - any girl - and fail to date her if they can).
    But then, the summer before my junior year of college, something changed. I made a promise to myself to diet just for one summer, and for the first time I saw results.
    By the end of the summer, I was 50 pounds lighter, and within a year I was down to 160 pounds on my 5’11″ frame, a solid size 10.
    Of course, I lost weight to reap these benefits. But it doesn’t stop me from being angry that I had to lose weight to reap these benefits.
    If all it takes is only a few months of your life to reap immense benefits, it should be a no brainer. Nothing comes for free. You learn that when you're about 5 years old.
    I understand the point is that you shouldn't have to lose the weight to reap those benefits... But it is what it is. People are attracted to what they are attracted to. She is probably dating a "thin-ish" man herself. So that's that.
    I hope I always stay fat on the inside.
    I think you stay fat on the inside... Ex fat people are best, they've been there, done that.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    when I lost weight, I was rewarded with membership in a club I never knew existed, where the benefits included better treatment, greater professional success and, above all, a new status as qualified participant in the social world including romantic relationships.
    Of course, I lost weight to reap these benefits. But it doesn’t stop me from being angry that I had to lose weight to reap these benefits. Of those who are nice to me now, who would have been rude to me before? Which ones made the cruel jokes? Who can be trusted?

So true!!

I agree with most of what this person wrote. When you are heavy all your life and then lose it as an adult, it's amazing the difference you see in how people treat you. I almost wish I didn't know about this "club" and these "benefits" because this very thing is the reason I freak out so much when my weight climbs too high (as you all observed when I came back from vacation heavy).

I posted here in SP a section of my upcoming book that talks about this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937117-was-fat-now-average-thin-book-excerpt-long-post?page=1
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i find it true.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't really agree with the stuff about being treated better because you are thinner. I do acknowledge that there is a certain bias in favor of more attractive people, in terms of what people expect from you and in how they will behave toward you as a result of those expectations. But I think, for the most part, you send signals to people about how you expect to be treated, and that's how they treat you.

Roughly 3 years ago, I was more than 100 lbs heavier than I am now. I was shy and self-conscious and generally tried my best to blend into my surroundings, as though that would distract people from how fat I was. I am convinced now that that is what affected how I was treated, more so than my weight. Since losing the weight, I dress, walk, and speak in a way that gets me noticed, and it's not really conscious on my part. I am simply a million times more confident, more self-aware, and happier now than I was before. I know I can handle anything that comes my way, so I don't shy away from opportunities at work or avoid having to interact with certain people out of fear that they might reject me in some way.

Women who have lost a ton of weight tend to say things like "This guy wants to date me, and he didn't like me before because I was fat, but I'm still the same person I was then." And I just don't think it's true. Maybe I'm the exception, but I don't believe it's possible to go through that kind of transformation, which is every bit as psychological as it is physical, and still be the same person.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Women who have lost a ton of weight tend to say things like "This guy wants to date me, and he didn't like me before because I was fat, but I'm still the same person I was then." And I just don't think it's true. Maybe I'm the exception, but I don't believe it's possible to go through that kind of transformation, which is every bit as psychological as it is physical, and still be the same person.

if a guy didnt want to date me before because i was fat, he's being honest and I appreciate it. I put a lot of hard work into my body and wouldnt date someone fat who didnt care enough to exercise or who wasnt strong enough to handle their feelings without always eating them. taking control of your life and deciding to get strong makes you a mentally physically emotionally superior giant.

Coming out the other side of 100+ pounds, I dont want a weak person.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I don't really agree with the stuff about being treated better because you are thinner. I do acknowledge that there is a certain bias in favor of more attractive people, in terms of what people expect from you and in how they will behave toward you as a result of those expectations. But I think, for the most part, you send signals to people about how you expect to be treated, and that's how they treat you.

Roughly 3 years ago, I was more than 100 lbs heavier than I am now. I was shy and self-conscious and generally tried my best to blend into my surroundings, as though that would distract people from how fat I was. I am convinced now that that is what affected how I was treated, more so than my weight. Since losing the weight, I dress, walk, and speak in a way that gets me noticed, and it's not really conscious on my part. I am simply a million times more confident, more self-aware, and happier now than I was before. I know I can handle anything that comes my way, so I don't shy away from opportunities at work or avoid having to interact with certain people out of fear that they might reject me in some way.

I agree with with a lot of what you say but I also think there is a certain feedback. As you lose weight, you become more confident. Some of this is that others treat you better which lets you know you are okay and more valuable than you originally considered yourself. I also think that as you gain confidence, it allows you to raise your expectations about how you allow others to treat you. I don't know which comes first or if these things occur simultaneously.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed a difference in how people treat me, I've noticed a difference in how I feel around people (which in turn affects how they treat me, but I got all the same signals before, I just rebuffed them). I'm more patient and open since I've lost weight. When I'm bigger I care less about others.

Dunno what that means.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    "This guy wants to date me, and he didn't like me before because I was fat, but I'm still the same person I was then." And I just don't think it's true. Maybe I'm the exception, but I don't believe it's possible to go through that kind of transformation, which is every bit as psychological as it is physical, and still be the same person.

I disagree, but then maybe it depends on the amount of weight. I didn't lose 102 lbs like you did. Only 60lbs. I know several people who lost 30-40 lbs to get into the military, were still the same personality as before, but noticed people treated them differently. One friend of mine even asked the guy who'd been her best friend for years why he was suddenly interested. He said it was bc she was finally hot and he would no longer be embarrassed to be seen dating her. She refused to date him, and he ended up marrying a girl who was thin but has now put on significant weight.

Before I got pregnant, I lost 40lbs and did not change in personality. I starved myself to make a goal for a special program I wanted at the time. 40lbs was all it took for me to “be allowed” to see how cruelly “average sized” people think of and treat overweight people behind their backs (what I wrote about in the book excerpt post). This is why I hated to gain weight during pregnancy. I am the same person now as I was at 209 lbs coming home from the hospital with my little peanut. 60lbs lost didn’t change who I was inside, but it changed how people treated me.

The 15lbs I gained while on vacation radically changed how people treated me. Of course, I'm in the military, and they're less tolerant of weight than in other cultures.

But it really irritates me when people who have lost the weight excuse this phenomenon as if it’s ok because you didn’t like yourself anyway at that weight. Some overweight people love themselves at any weight. Thin people who hate themselves and try to hide in the background or have eating disorders the opposite way (ana and such) don’t get that kind of retribution. So it’s not just attitude that causes people to be so mean.

Edit: Kit I'm glad you're more patient and open. It seems like so many people, especially on MFP are the opposite! They are so harsh and mean to people who are starting out where they were just a year or two ago. It’s like the guys who lose weight and then all the sudden they’re “too good” for a mate who isn’t as far along in their health goals as they are.