I run slower than I walk -is this possible?

Options
According to my C25K app I walk at 3.5 mph and run at 3.0 mph. I have been trying to go slow, as so many people have recommend ed but this seems wrong. I checked the math and it's not an error. I'm on W2D1.

Is this possible? Should I step it up (no pun intended)?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's to be encouraged at this point. Right now, you're building running muscles that you've never used before. Once you are comfortably able to complete all your jogs and if you start feeling bored, you can step it up. But, right now, you are doing great.

And Congratulations on starting the program!
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    it is a lot of different muscles used to run rather than walk - a lot more energy expenditure. i started off walking much faster than i ran. i now run faster than i walk (i am not fast by many standards)
    don't get discouraged it will get much better.

and just keep running
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    During my first couple of weeks, I didn't change pace at all between walking and running. Now I do a bit higher for run (3.5) than walk (3.0). Now that I'm on week 6, it's going to be mostly runs. So I'm going to try to start at a higher speed---even if I have to dial it down by the end of the run.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yeah, it all takes time!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I can walk much faster than I am running right now (I'm on week 7-20min runs-at a 14min pace). I had trouble with the longer duration week 4 runs until I figured out how to slow down. I think the program is designed to build distance first. Speed can come later. Be patient and do what you need to to keep from breaking into a walk. Even if your run is a crawl, it's still a run and still harder than a walk. Welcome and congratulations on your successful completion of week 1!!!!
  • bootcey
    bootcey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your doing great. Speed will come. Don't get discouraged.