How many calories do you eat??

Options
Just wondering if anyone has had a better loss at different amounts?
I've tried 1600, 1400 and currently on 1200 calories with not much difference in loss. At each of these amounts I've tried not eating exercise calories and eating them.

So how many do you eat?

Replies

• Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am currently at 1760, plus eating back exercise calories. Its not healthy to create too large a deficit. Plus, it can hinder weight loss efforts.
    I tried 2000 and not eating exercise calories back, and I felt great, cuz I love eating, but I didn't lose. So I did 1600 and it wasn't enough. I randomly set it at 1760 a couple weeks ago and I have lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks. I have also increased my fiber intake. I add a teaspoon of Benefibre Shape Management to my morning coffee. I have also cut back on bread big time. I have a brutal addiction to peanut butter and bread, so I put my bread in the freezer, now its not ready if I get the craving. Peanut butter sandwiches have made me go over my calories many times, so this is helping. It has taken me 7 months to lose these 6 pounds. Im not exaggerating. It sucks. I play intense tennis several times a week, walk/jog, exercise bike and other random exercise and its been so hard to lose. I do feel better though.

I try not to eat less than 1400-1600 a day.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I totally believe it took 7 months to lose 6lbs! The only way I lost weight previously was eating breakfast, lunch and dinner of about maybe 1200-1400 calories, exercising for an hour 5 days a week after working on my feet for 8 hours walking about and up and down stairs all day. I know now those calories would have been too low but it worked at the time. It's hard, I think if I don't exercise at least 3 times a week I start putting the weight back on. I'd love to eat more but 1600+ equals weight gain :(
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500-1600/day and try to eat no more than 50% of my exercise calories back. So far this seems good for me, but it's been hard to judge as I've had a lot of weird lifestyle stuff going on since February. I had been at 1200/day but found I just kept gaining and losing the same 5 lb.

I'm also a slow loser (3 lb since Jan), especially now that I only have about 10 lb to go. I also have to exercise frequently, or I seem to hang on to the weight no matter how little I eat. I think my metabolism really needs cardio, so when I do strength it's always with a mix of cardio or two separate sessions.

It seems to be an extremely fine line for me. Even when I get the intake "just right," the fat loss is a slow process.
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    I am 1200 and I do not eat back my exercise calories. Some days its hard enough for me to hit 1200 and I eat all my meals and occasionally some snacks. I think once I hit the 0 pound loss I may increase to 1300-1500 calories as a goal since I am upping my cardio and strength (I don't track my strength) training. I tried using the BMR and all these other tools that people suggested but I just found 1500 too much for me right now. I hope you find what works for you.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have recently started averaging 1500 net calories a day. Some more some less. MFP says I should lose half a pound a week. It's only been abou three weeks since I changed to this but I have lost 1 to 2 pounds each week.
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have my MFP set where I 'net' 1500. If I exercise, I eat my calories back, which usually puts me at around 1800 total, 1500 net. If I don't, then I try to stick to 1500-1600. I run and do bootcamp 5 days per week, fwiw.
  • strawberrytoast
    Options
    Well in a month of 1200 calories and eating back some exercise calories up to about 1600 i lost 4lbs (4lbs of the 14lbs put on at the beginning of the year). Not much but i suppose its in the right direction.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i eat around the 1500 cal mark. i lose in a weird way. ill lose or gain a pound or 2 for 3 weeks then drop a big number the 4th week. today i lost 9lb, last week i gained 2 and i do the same things every week
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Dec(not a great month)-Jan(really sticked to it)-Feb(stuck to it) at 1200, exercised 5-6 times 1.5 hours intensely per week and lost 20 pounds. It was a lot of work but I needed to see some results. March I upped it to 1330 and lost 5 pounds. I am holding there but I do have to really work at that pound that comes and goes and comes and goes and then I drop 2 kinda like the other post.

I'm gonna stay at 1330 until I stagnate on the weight loss. Probably end up at 1800 for maintenance which is most people's calorie reduction plan but I can live with that as long as I don't gain all that weight back.
  • strawberrytoast
    Options
    Dec(not a great month)-Jan(really sticked to it)-Feb(stuck to it) at 1200, exercised 5-6 times 1.5 hours intensely per week and lost 20 pounds. It was a lot of work but I needed to see some results. March I upped it to 1330 and lost 5 pounds. I am holding there but I do have to really work at that pound that comes and goes and comes and goes and then I drop 2 kinda like the other post.

I'm gonna stay at 1330 until I stagnate on the weight loss. Probably end up at 1800 for maintenance which is most people's calorie reduction plan but I can live with that as long as I don't gain all that weight back.

to get the 20lbs off you did 1 1/2 hours 5 to 6 days a week? Thats like what i used to do when i lost a few pounds but i couldnt keep it up. Both my hips get sore, feet get sore :( My knee had a permanent click for about a year.
  • ONA79
    ONA79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200-1300 and try not to eat back too many exercise points. Mostly I eat 1200 M-Th and closer to 1400 F-Su cause we often go out and I'd rather lose slow then totally change my lifestyle. I think my thyroid went out slowly over many many years because when I first started on medication (after my first kid was born) I lost 30lbs in 3 months without diet or exercise. So my 10+ years of trying to lose weight with no luck means I gain weight when I eat 1600. I would guess my maintenance calories will be 1400 a day. My endocrinologist is the one who suggested 1200 a day for me. I'm also pretty short 5'2" and 'thin boned'. I lose about half a pound a week on that rate. Two weeks of not tracking when I was sick and I gained back 4 lbs.
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    yeah injuries can really hold you back . I have knee trouble. I do low impact only and never put my knee past my toes. I use foam rollers to keep the hip flexors and bands loose and get the pain out of them. Lots of stretching. I find if I strenghthen the quads it helps the knees. Fast walking is good too. Hope you can find an exercise that works for you.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    At around 2100 a day I am able to lose weight. Too much more than that and I will gain pretty rapidly.