Whole 30 - Am I cheating or not?

Options
AuntieKT
AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
I am currently on my second week of the Whole 30. I have read It Starts With Food and I have been doing very good in regards to not having any foods off of plan, absolutely no sugar in anything, no nothing bad. Where I am struggling is with the amounts sometimes. I work out a lot (intensely twice a day for over an hour each time usually) and I am usually VERY hungry! On some days I am good, but on others I am having more than my two servings of fruit. I am also not sticking to three meals a day. I usually have breakfast, a snack around lunch time, another snack before my afternoon workout, and then a pretty big dinner. What do you think? Am I doing ok here or am I cheating the program?

Replies

• Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    No I think you're doing great. You will need more food if you are having intense workouts! :) Keep it up!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Ifyou need the food, then by all means, EAT!!! If you are sticking to the parameters I don't think you can eat too much. Way to go!!
  • AuntieKT
    Options
    And you guys think that the added fruit, snacking between meals, and skipping lunch are ok?
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Consider your "snack" your lunch if you want to, and your post-workout snack just that... post-workout recovery.

Are you eating 5-6 pieces of fruit? Probably not... probably it's 1-2 servings, and if it's not creating sugar cravings, it's fine. Sounds like you need to the cals for your level of exercise.

Are you training for a competition? Why so much working out?
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Technically, W30 recommends 5 "meals"/day. 1st meal, 2nd meal, 3rd meal, pre-workout and post-workout. So, I think you are doing GREAT!
  • AuntieKT
    Options
    Technically, W30 recommends 5 "meals"/day. 1st meal, 2nd meal, 3rd meal, pre-workout and post-workout. So, I think you are doing GREAT!

You know what, I kind of forgot about pre and post-workout meals! That makes me feel a lot better. Thanks!
  • AuntieKT
    Options
    Ifyou need the food, then by all means, EAT!!! If you are sticking to the parameters I don't think you can eat too much. Way to go!!

When you say parameters, do you just mean eating the foods that are on the plan or something else?
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    And you guys think that the added fruit, snacking between meals, and skipping lunch are ok?

Ideally, if you need a snack, you should aim for a smaller "meal" - complete with some protein and fat. If you do choose to have fruit, try complementing it with a hard boiled egg, some nuts or coconut chips/avocado.

Fruit is not recommended for pre or post workout meals.

The Whole30 is specifically designed to address some of our food-related habits, as well as the ingredients.

It sounds like you are being very thoughtful about your plan. I agree that you can eat a bit more, and try include proteins and fats at each meal - including workout meals and snacks. Congratulations on your hard work so far!
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    Try snacking on more protein and fats, like cashews or other nuts. I personally like having an apple with almond butter after a workout. Keeps me very full.
  • CassandraMarie3
    CassandraMarie3 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great! Like the posters above said, make sure you are getting in your post-workout "meals". If they are the proper combo of food (like some sweet potato, protein and fat) you should be replenishing your body's fuel tank pretty well :)

As far as fruit goes, I am eating 2-3 servings of fruit a day, but I make sure the protein and veggies take up most my plate.
  • AuntieKT
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's responses so far. I do know that I'm not supposed to be eating as much fruit as I do, I was just wondering what everyone thought about me eating more in regards to working out and if it is officially considered cheating on the Whole 30 plan. I kind of mean that fruit is something that I'm allowed to eat, I'm just eating more than I should. It's not like I'm having pasta or something.