Yoga + running (or other sport/ exercise)

Options
auntsammy88
auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
I am enjoying building my "practice" so much. I love the feeling of completing a yoga session. I have also begun the C25K program. I'm noticing that the yoga breathing and pacing is carrying over to my running, and I'm not getting tired/out of breath as quickly. Anyone else do yoga + running ? How has yoga helped your running or other sport? How has your sport helped your yoga practice?

Replies

• lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i have practiced yoga for seven years, and have been a runner for one year.

i tend to hunch up my shoulders under stress or exertion, and yoga has helped me learn to relax more. when i use a relaxed posture, running feels effortless, and my lungs and heart feel very open. strengthening one's core is supposed to be good for runners, although my core is still kind of weak. knowledge of yoga stretches also helps me if i'm sore the day after a run.

i always had tight hamstrings. after i started running, my hamstrings loosened up immensely. my legs are also stronger now in awkward/chair pose. running also (i think) helped get rid of some belly fat, which makes forward bends and shoulder stand easier.

enjoy, and namaste.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I have practised yoga on and off since my teens, I am now in my fifties and have been practising this time for the past six years and unlikely to leave.

I also enjoy cycling, swimming and kettlebell.

For cycling and kettlebell, I find the other sport/ exercise warms my muscles so that if I do a session of yoga straight after exercising my muscles are warm enough to really stretch out and that then prevents any muscle aches and contraction from the non-yoga exercise, so they compliment each other very well.

For swimming, the breathing practise of pranayama in yoga really helps me to control my breathing pattern in swim strokes. I find I am never really desparate for a breath as I swim. Conversely, swimming strengthens my diaphragm and breath control such that yogic breathing is improved, so again they compliment each other.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Not that I have ever noticed.
    I run a lot. I figure that means I have pretty good lung capacity. But, I often feel chagrined in yoga class that I am not able to breath deep better.
  • EsculentGoddess
    Options
    I've also recently taken up running 5ks. But, in the past, due to VERY tight tendons, running always resulted in extreme ankle, heel and knee pain. Now, after doing Yoga for 6-7 months, I may not be a great runner but at least I don't have that pain anymore :happy:
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yes! I yoga & run:) I started with the C25K too and now training for my first 1/2 marathon. I truly believe that the reason I've been able to train well with no injuries is due to my yoga. And whatever I do off the mat always improves my practice on the mat, even if they seem like completely different activities. My breathing is better in both but I don't know if that's due to just me getting more fit...:D It is amazing though to hear about all sorts of ailments, injuries and problems from runners when I think so much of yoga could alleviate it!

Best of luck with the C25K:flowerforyou:
  • abigailkorver
    Options
    I began running about four years ago and always had a lot of hip/back pain after I ran. I also struggled with endurance beyond 3 miles. I started doing yoga a year and a half ago and it has totally changed my body. I am leaner, more flexible, and I can run longer distances (5 miles +). I also have completely alleviated all hip/back pain. Yoga has also helped me develop more upper body and core muscles. Whenever I hear people complaining about fitness injuries I always tell them they are simply missing out on a good yoga practice!
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for over 10 years but found it just wasn't enough so I did the C25K about 3 years ago at the suggestion of one of the girls in my yoga class. I love it. They are the perfect complement to one another.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and bike. I picked up mountain biking recently. It has definitely helped with my balance and core stability. I feel more confident going over those roots and rocks!! (though steep hills are still a struggle)
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing yoga combined with C25K and strength training. I do Zumba and pilates as well but my fitness focus is on those three.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yoga is very helpful for me in other sports. Mainly I bike (road and mountain), but I've been doing a C25K as well and one of the things I notice is that if I use the posture techniques from yoga it keeps my neck and back from hurting when I run. And I definitely need yoga to loosen up my hips/IT bands/etc. after exercise.
  • Ennaelangels
    Ennaelangels Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for a few years, and just started running. So far I don't really notice any benefits on the breathing part, I'm still panting like a horse. I hope once my condition becomes better this will improve as well. I did notice a lot of benefit in stretching my sore muscles using yoga, so I can loosen everything up in a gentle way.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for a few years, and just started running. So far I don't really notice any benefits on the breathing part, I'm still panting like a horse. I hope once my condition becomes better this will improve as well. I did notice a lot of benefit in stretching my sore muscles using yoga, so I can loosen everything up in a gentle way.

It helps if you focus just as much on your breathing when you run as much as you would when you do yoga. Practice controlled breaths. While your conditioning will improve, so will the amount that you run, so breathing correctly is something you need to actively work on. When I first started working on my breathing I would count in for 2 & out for 2. Noticed this morning I now breathe in for 4 & out for 2. Don't know if that helps at all but figured I'd throw it out there for you to contemplate.
  • aligirrrrl
    Options
    It is so awesome to read everyone's posts! I have been a runner for almost two years and have recently started really incorporating yoga into my exercise routine. I have noticed such a difference in my running, it is unbelievable! I don't have to focus on my posture or breath as much as I used to. I used to constantly be reminding myself while I was running to pull up and to slow my heart rate down and to breathe more steadily, but honestly yoga is doing all of that for me! It is really incredible!
  • aligirrrrl
    Options
    I would also suggest slowing down your pace when you're beginning running. It took me a long time to figure that out. I had never been a runner, and the first time I ran twenty minutes straight it was because I took it really really slow. I listened to slow and steady music and told myself not to run faster than I could steadily breathe, and that was really when it clicked for me! I began running at about an 11:30 min mile pace, and within 6 months with regular running and strength training was able to run more than 5 miles at a 10 min mile pace. Slow and steady is the key!
  • aligirrrrl
    Options

I tried to reply to yours specifically, but didn't quite know what I was doing, I just put a response to this near the bottom!