Can I do the 5K? Or stick with 1M?

Options
There is a race coming up near me. Some volunteers from my agency are participating in an info table and one of them gave me the flyer. I was all set to sign up for the 1M fun run as a break-in to races when I saw it...

"5K: Timed run, but all for fun. You can walk this, too!" The 5K is also the same price as the 1M fun run.

Part of me wants to throw caution to the wind and just do the 5K. Especially if I know that if I get overwhelmed then I can walk part of it.

It is on April 20...so just about 1 month away. I just finished W3D2 of C25K. I did 2.2 miles in 30 minutes. I did walk for about 25 seconds on the second 3min run (Which, I'll be honest. Part was I was a little winded and part was, well....boogers. I HAD to blow my nose.) Will I be able to add a mile to that in 1 month? Is my ego inflated and this is way too soon to try it? Should I stick with the 1M fun run?

Replies

• mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it.
  • mthr2
    Options
    <
    see, I ran an entire 5k on Feb 2. Started running on Dec 31. I didn't use the c25k program, I just ran super-duper slow. Then I went longer and longer until I could do 3.1 miles. It was freaking hard and i was pretty slow, but I did it. You certainly can add a mile in a month. :heart:
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think you should challenge yourself with the 5K run. Consider which feeling you'd prefer to experience at the finish line, one of euphoria 'cause you completed 5K (even if you have to walk for some of it) or completing the 1mer and the regret of knowing you could have pushed yourself further. I know which one I'd rather experience. Whichever one you choose, it's still a great achievement. :flowerforyou:
  • April482
    April482 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks. I really needed someone to validate me :)

I'm about 99% sure I'm doing the 5K. I'll register when i get home from work and will hopefully not turn into a wimp in the next 6 hours and will pull the trigger.

And then? Train like crazy for the next month. Here's to (hopefully literally) running my *kitten* off!
  • mthr2
    Options
    ...And don't forget that rest days are important.

Let us know how it goes! :wink:
  • johnlatte
    johnlatte Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    go for it!! You know that you want to. If you are at W3D2 of C25k you should be just fine. Walk when you want to, run when you can.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well I am on Wk 4 day 2 and am doing a fun run 5K on April 13th, so I say go for it.
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You should go for it!! You might even surprise yourself :wink:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Do it!
  • April482
    Options
    No kidding! TODAY is a rest day!! My thighs wouldn't allow a run even if I were to try.

That's kinda how I can tell I'm motivated enough to do it. My body wants a rest but my brain is bummed i cant run. Before my brain was what was in my way. It's a nice change!
  • April482
    Options
    You're right. Just like it was said above...I totally want to. And if I did the 1M and felt good after then I'd just be ticked at myself that I didn't aim higher.

Thanks for the push!
  • TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm only on W2D1, but since I started I have been doing an additional 1 mile after my cool down so I am always walking 3 miles or so. If you do this, then you KNOW you can finish, it's just a matter of how much of it you can run. I know we have a 5K coming up soon, but I'm not sure on the date. I might just have to sign up for it, along with my step-son and his mom. Who knows, it might be fun!!!