hypo and your metabolism

Options
I feel like I have tried every type of weight loss program there is. I had done fad diets, natural suppliments, even saw a nutritionist. I can't seem to get my metabolism to function like it should. After seeing the nutritionist, following what she said, and working out 30 min a day 6 days a week for 3 weeks I only lost two lbs. Does anyone else have this issue and have any suggestions? Its so hard to stay motivated when you work your rear off and don't see any results.

Replies

• cmykdesigner
    cmykdesigner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i wish i had an answer for that same question. i've been doing the same things you have and it's taken me since october to lose 10 pounds -- all while eating clean. it's frustrating to say the least, but i figure if i just keep at it and mix up the cardio and weight training, in essence, tricking my body so it doesn't know what's coming next.

you can do it! even if you don't see the scale moving you're still doing right by your body by eating the right foods and exercising. :happy:
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you lost two pounds in three weeks you are doing AWESOME! Keep doing exactly what you're doing, and let us know how it continues!
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Fad diets and other extreme "diets" are the worst thing Thyroid patients can do as those plans only confuse an already struggling metabolism. I would strongly encourage you to eat healthy (as close to the real food as possible - no highly processed foods), drink lots of water, sleep well and move everyday. It will take your system time to readjust and given you've had a loss in the past 3 weeks shows your body is responding to the hard work you are doing:smile: .

I have lost 10 lbs (have 5 more to go) and do Insanity as well as power walking so my body is constantly being challenged. I eat as "clean" as possible (minimal processed sugars) and am also gluten-free (intolerance). Make sure you are staying away from foods that contain "Goitrogens" as they interfere with your thyroid.

Good luck. You can add me if you like to see my diary, etc if that helps!
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    2 pounds in three weeks can be good. Depends on how much you have to loose, what your plan is, TDEE( should take into account age) and exercise, etc and especially if your hypo/hyper is being treated effectively.

I gained alot of weight from 2009 to 2012 because of incorrect treatment and generally not moving my body...desk job at home.....I was really concerned about my metabolism also but found I kick started it with diet and exercise. If you want to friend me to see my diary feel free. I have hypo and it has taken me about 62 weeks to loose 62 pounds. I didn't always stick to the plan though.

Best month was February...but decided my caloric intake was too low...so upped it for March and am adjusting. I may up it again depending on how much exercise I do ( I don't eat back calories but do work out strenuously 5-6 times per week, weights and cardio.)

Lots of water 8-10 per day....clean eating...I pretty only touch wheat a little bit..switched to oatmeal.

If you want to friend me to check out my diary that's fine. Hypothyroid condition does not equal overweight...but it doesnt make it easy.

Good luck. Oh..I just can't give up spinach and broccoli like I'm supposed to ..I just eat them opposite of when I take my medication at night.
  • christamccoy
    Options
    I am 29 and have about 100 lbs to lose so two lbs in a weeks seems pretty wrong to me. Maybe I'm just expecting to much... What do you mean about spinach and broccoli? Are we supposed to stay away from that? I love them both.
  • Frigs
    Options
    That's what is meant by.....Make sure you are staying away from foods that contain "Goitrogens" as they interfere with your thyroid.

Raw spinach and broccoli fit in that...you can search on the internet what foods to not eat for thyroid conditions. Here is some of the article. I have seen raw spinach also on the Livestrong site. If you open your diary maybe we can see something in your diet.
    Seems like you are doing well on exercise. 30 minutes a day at your age and with the amount of weight loss should be good. I am older and have less left to loose but in the end..I am looking to drop a total of 100.

Cruciferous Vegetables

Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and turnips are sometimes referred to as "goitrogenic" foods, meaning they impair the function of the thyroid. In people without thyroid disease, the effect is probably negligible, but people who are diagnosed with hypothyroidism sometimes avoid or limit consumption of these foods. Cooking them, rather than eating these vegetables raw, is thought to lessen the effect on the thyroid.

Strawberries and Peaches

Strawberries and peaches are also thought to be goitrogenic foods. As with cruciferous vegetables, cooking these fruits may help lessen their impact on thyroid function. This is because cooking breaks down the compounds in these fruits that make it harder for the thyroid to make the hormones the body needs.

Soy, Dairy and Supplements

Intake of soy and dairy may also affect the function of the thyroid, particularly in people who have already been diagnosed with thyroid disease. Soy is a goitrogenic food and, in large amounts, may slow down the function of the thyroid. Those who are hypothyroid and are taking thyroid replacement medication also often avoid eating soy within a few hours of taking their pills, because soy can interfere with the absorption of the thyroid hormone. Dairy foods, because they are high in calcium, can also interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormones. Taking supplements containing high doses of calcium or iron within a few hours of taking thyroid replacement pills can also hinder absorption.

Read more: Foods That Affect the Thyroid | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5382392_foods-affect-thyroid.html#ixzz2O2BCpJ6X
  • Frigs
    Options
    Here is another link
    http://www.cncahealth.com/health-info/general/thyroid-health-nutrition.htm

I dont see spinach on it.....and as I said. I don't stay away from the raw cruciferous veggies. Just can't give them up and loose weight too. I do balance eating them raw and cooking them and I do stay away from soy and wheat as much as I can...

What Should You Avoid Eating for Thyroid Health?
    There are certain foods that should be avoided to protect your thyroid function. These include:

Aspartame: There is concern that the artificial sweetener aspartame, sold under the brand name Nutrasweet, may trigger Graves’ disease and other autoimmune disorders in some people. The chemical may trigger an immune reaction that causes thyroid inflammation and thyroid autoantibody production.

Non-fermented Soy: Soy is high in isoflavones, which are goitrogens, or foods that interfere with the function of your thyroid gland. Soy, including soybean oil, soy milk, soy burgers, tofu and other processed soy foods, may lead to decreased thyroid function.

Fermented soy products, including miso, natto, tempeh and traditionally brewed soy sauce, are safe to eat, as the fermentation process reduces the goitrogenic activity of the isoflavones.

Gluten: Gluten is a potential goitrogen and can also trigger autoimmune responses (including Hashimoto’s thyroiditis) in people who are sensitive. Gluten is found in wheat, rye and barley, along with most processed foods.

You may have heard, too, that the isothiocyanates found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts are goitrogens as well.

While it’s true that large amounts could interfere with thyroid function, especially if eaten raw, these veggies offer a myriad of other health benefits that make the benefits outweigh the risks for most people. If you know you have thyroid disease and want to be especially careful, steaming these vegetables will negate the goitrogenic effect, making them a healthy addition to your diet.

If you suspect you have thyroid disease, you should visit your health care practitioner for a full thyroid hormone panel. In fact, even if you don’t suspect you have a problem it’s a good idea to get tested as part of your regular checkups.

While some thyroid issues do have complicated underlying causes, you can help to maintain your thyroid health by making sure your diet includes the important, thyroid-healthy nutrients mentioned above.
  • christamccoy
    Options
    Thank you for all the info. Of course it's the "healthy foods" that I like that are not great for me. I am terrified at the thought of trying to do a gluten free diet but I've tried almost everything else. It might be worth a shot.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I'm tempted to try the gluten free diet as well. Just seems like so much effort as its hard enough buying food that stick within calorie limits. Plus it takes about 6 months for your body to get used to gluten free and you can't have even a small bit of gluten. Instead of foods we shouldn't eat we need a big list of foods we can eat.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    I know how you feel, I'm tempted to try the gluten free diet as well. Just seems like so much effort as its hard enough buying food that stick within calorie limits. Plus it takes about 6 months for your body to get used to gluten free and you can't have even a small bit of gluten. Instead of foods we shouldn't eat we need a big list of foods we can eat.

I agree. I'm just discovering all of the "no no" foods myself and it is quite depressing. I'm currently on a no grain diet. I made some muffins last night with coconut flour and surprisingly, they came out ok. Had I not burned them, they would have been even better.
  • Frigs
    Options
    Don't despair. I did not go completely gluten free, I just limit it. I use Oatmeal Bread instead of wheat bread. I don't eat sweets like muffins and cupcakes and cookies generally...just a little dark chocolate everyday. I eat all veggies and fruits and dairy. My favorite is whole milk on the dairy. I eat chicken, fish, red meat, eggs. There's lots of recipes on skinny taste.com and I find a big batch of chili gets me through the work week lunches.

I didn't feel bad before, just needed to figure out how to eat differently so I could loose weight. Keep at it. If things are working after a few weeks make just one change at a time to figure out what is working.

Keep at it!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I am 29 and have about 100 lbs to lose so two lbs in a weeks seems pretty wrong to me. Maybe I'm just expecting to much... What do you mean about spinach and broccoli? Are we supposed to stay away from that? I love them both.

Yeah, I think you do have the wrong expectations. Your progress has been fantastic for a normal, healthy person, let alone someone with a thyroid condition.

As far as goitrogenic foods go (like broccoli) I think they affect everyone differently. They don't seem to bother me one bit, while lots of other people have had adverse reactions. If you feel ok, then carry on and do whatever works for you.
  • BeachDreamin83
    Options

I know how you feel. When I started my weight loss in January, I was so frustrated by the fact that I was eating 1200 or less cals/day and losing almost nothing. I read that coconut oil can really help with your metabolism and with thyroid function, so I added it to my diet and started seeing results pretty quickly. I also learned that I had to eat 1200 cals or slightly more in order to lose weight. When I went under 1200, I plateaud and didn't move until I upped my cal intake.

I don't eat gluten free because I've been tested for gluten sensitivity and it came back negative. I do, however, limit my gluten intake by default, since I really limit my sugar and yeast intake. If you're limiting sugar and yeast, chances are you're limiting gluten as well since they often go hand in hand.

While it feels like it's been SO SLOW, I've lost 12 lbs since January and I feel like my body is just starting to really respond well to all of the changes. It takes a while, so don't give up. Add me as a friend if you'd like - don't mind sharing more info about my diet if you want it.

Good luck!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is not bad, I usually consider 2pds a week a good weight loss. It is COMPLETELY frustrating. I have well over 100pds to go (where's the magic fat sucking machine?!), and when I was on a good track, I lost 80pds, but it took time, over a year. Lots of aggrivating time. And I believe it's unfair that I loose weight slower than I took to put it on. But life is not fair. :(
    I am mostly paleo in my eating, not perfectly, but they have a lot of great foods, and if anything it really encourages you to eat fresh, eat healthy. (I know it's fatty, but you will only pry the cheese from my dead hands, and I enjoy a white potato...). I figure if anything else, getting rid of processed foods will help my body run better, and I can only help absorb my meds better (my hope, if I'm delusional, that's ok). You may find another style of eating habit works best for you. As Lewis Black said, we are all like snowflakes. :D
    It's really hard, it's really frustrating, (set aside the thyroid issues for a moment). Loosing 100pds is rough. You will continue to be frustrated, you will not want to accept some weeks you lost no or even gained some weight. You will be on a euphoric high on the weeks when you loose 4 pounds for no reason. I highly recommend that you not give up, keep up the exercise, eat healthy (or at least don't eat a bunch of nasty ucky foods all the time), don't weigh yourself every day (water weight can cause minor flux and drive you crazy), and remember, this is a lifestyle change overall, not a diet, not just an exercise boot camp. We're here facing the same challenges, and we're all rooting each other on.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I just read an article from the Mary Shomon site about how people with HypoT and Hashi's have a lower BMR than "normal" people and how they may burn 500-800 less calories (at resting rate) than others without HypoT/Hashi issues. The Dr. explained how everything correlates and the fires just don't run as hot, even when a person has been medicated and their levels are normal. If I can find the link I will post it. It was on the FB page "Thyroid Sexy", which is a great site by the way.

I have about 75 lbs to lose and with my current "plan" I should be losing at a rate of 1lb per week. Yeah right, I am maintaining and ANY slip at all causes me to gain weight. I will say that cutting out processed/prepackaged food and cutting out gluten has helped me tremendously!!! I try to eat only healthy carbs - fruits, veggies, legumes, and the occasional sweet potato. My carb intake is limited due to other health issues so white starches (sugar, potato, rice, pasta) are a no-no for me. I may not be losing weight but I feel 100 times better. I keep hoping that if I just stay the course, everything will click into place and the weight will start to come off.

Losing weight with HypoT issues is an uphill battle but the way I see it... you can struggle and feel better or you can do nothing and feel like hell. I may not lose weight quickly but at least I am healthier overall.

Good luck to you!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the article...

http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/weight-loss-diet_2.htm

Make sure you go back to Page 1 and read from the beginning.
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ive been working doing Chalean extreme since feb. as of march 30 down 3 lbs and 10 inches overall. not syre why the weight isnt falling off. I dont eat meat, cheese and I take Coconut oil daily.....
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Ive been working doing Chalean extreme since feb. as of march 30 down 3 lbs and 10 inches overall. not syre why the weight isnt falling off. I dont eat meat, cheese and I take Coconut oil daily.....

I did ChaLEAN for a couple months. (I never finished the Lean phase.) It was awesome. I didn't lose much weight, but I lost a ton of inches, and my body felt so much better. I feel like my hormones kind of leveled out for awhile and I had more energy.

I should start the program over, but it's hard for me to commit to 45 minute chunks of time.